0%  [ 1 ]
Not sure yet
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 142

Korean Ian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Is Gentoo worth the work? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been using different distro's of Linux for a couple of months now. I have tried most of the major distro's (Redhat, Mandrake, Slack) and been completly unimpressed by 'dependency hell'... i keep thinking my computer is dependent on me dickin around for hours to find all the required RPM's... for one program! It's crazy.

I started to use linux to learn. The idea of solid software is very appealing to me. I have grown bored of the standard Windows 9x, Windows NT interfaces, although I am still dependent on them.

I came to Gentoo as a suggestion of a buddy of mine in a CCNA Year 1 at my high school. He told me how long it took to setup for his system (a full build.. 3 days) and I thought it was mad, although, I admit:

emerge 'whatever prog you need'

Seemed really appealing. So I started reading the Gentoo Install Guide and have decided to go with a stage 3 install, updated to the newest sources.

If I like it alot, if I make it through my first install. I might go back and do a custom build.

One question.

Is it worth it? (Funny place to ask that question...)

Korean Ian

By the way, PHPbb is sexy. I ran it on a webserver for a while. GPL rocks.
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial hassle of setting up is offset massively by the portage system. Even my parents could use this once its set up(Although they would phone me before doing anything...just to be sure that the computer won't explode:-D).

Also, its just generally worth it, as I've learnt a lot from Gentoo and these forums especially.

Puggy
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a poll option "HELL YES!" ?? if so I'd surely have picked that one.

secondly, what do you mean by "work" !??

it's not work, it's play!!!!! :D
Netikular
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a FBSD user and used to having an extensive ports system. Gentoo I so worth the work. I find that if you follow the install guide to the letter you should not have any troubles with gentoo - on the other hand i can not say about the linux kernel. I find that that is where most of my problems come from hardware compatibility and the like.
Netikular
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a FBSD user and used to having an extensive ports system. Gentoo I so worth the work. I find that if you follow the install guide to the letter you should not have any troubles with gentoo - on the other hand i can not say about the linux kernel. I find that that is where most of my problems come from hardware compatibility and the like.
Naughtyus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing Gentoo was worth it for me, just because of what I've learned about my computer in the process. I feel that I could use most any linux distro now, and be much more capable in what I was doing.
IamtheOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands on is good!

I don't like things to be swept behind the curtain. Because what happens when it breaks? You have to fix it. Using other distros I had no clue and it took me forever to figure it out.

With gentoo, I know every detail of my system, and that's the way I like it. I can build kernels eft and right now and decide what is bloat and what I need or want ;)

Gentoo is about power to the people. YAY Gentoo!!
bs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is much better than the other distros i used (SuSE, RedHat, Mandrake).

It doesn't install lots of programs you don't need or even don't know of. With Gentoo you can determine yourself what software is installed.

The portage system is by far better than the install and upgrade mechanisms of the other distros.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably not the best place to post such a poll because those that frequent this forum are either those who use Gentoo or those that are starting to use Gentoo.

There are very few, if any, people in this forum are those who have found Gentoo a troublesome experience to the degree that they found it 'not worth the effort' and stopped using Gentoo.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
Jimboberella
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is worth the effort to have a system exactly the way you like it. I think portage is the best thing going around at the moment.

I am about to embark on weening my wife off XP. Mandrake 9.1 dual boot is the first step, then if she likes that ok I'll think of going to Gentoo. The question of upgrading is less important though so we will have to see what the rection is.
moss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
is there a poll option "HELL YES!" ?? if so I'd surely have picked that one.

I'd have to agree with that! I used to use Red Hat 7.3, on that KDE used to take around 15-20s to startup, with Gentoo that's reduced to around 5s :D
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm....yeah :lol:
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is definately worth the work (or fun as some of you have put it). I even got my girlfriend to show some interest in Linux, wich is good...! :)
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What work? :D
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge rsync && cd /usr/portage && scripts/bootstrap.sh && export CONFIG_PROTECT="" && emerge system && ln -sf /usr/share/Europe/Copenhagen /etc/localtime && emerge gentoo-sources

sleep, continue in the morning.
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you define holiday as sitting the entire day in front of a computer tweaking things gentoo is simply heaven.

Buy a Mac if you don't like computers (don't want to offend anybody - maybe I did - sorry).[/list]
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a word, yes
gentoo made me like linux, distro's like mandrake put me off linux using it was to like windows gentoo gave me an insight in the world of linux and better for it
btw start from stage1, adds more time to install but worlds worth it:)
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerdbert wrote:
Buy a Mac if you don't like computers...

... and install Gentoo/PPC on it - there are at least about 40 Gentoo/PPC users officially confirmed by gentoo-stats. By the way, the combo: Gentoo/MOL/dual-booted-macos works much better then Gentoo/Wine/dual-booted-win :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that there was minimal "work" involved, yes.
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panserg wrote:
nerdbert wrote:
Buy a Mac if you don't like computers...

... and install Gentoo/PPC on it - there are at least about 40 Gentoo/PPC users officially confirmed by gentoo-stats. By the way, the combo: Gentoo/MOL/dual-booted-macos works much better then Gentoo/Wine/dual-booted-win :)

I knew someone would write this (but I must admit I wasn't precise enough). I'd really like to have a cube and a powerbook G4 running Gentoo (AFAIK the cube has no fan, which predestinates it for beeing used as a server next to my bed).
I just don't like Apple's guis (which of course is a personal matter) and I don't like MacOS <= 9 because of technical aspects, which we could discuss somewere else.
zephyr1256
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
This is probably not the best place to post such a poll because those that frequent this forum are either those who use Gentoo or those that are starting to use Gentoo.

There are very few, if any, people in this forum are those who have found Gentoo a troublesome experience to the degree that they found it 'not worth the effort' and stopped using Gentoo.

Problem is, polls like this are inherently unscientific and inaccurate, no matter where you do it, because the poll is voluntary.

But then, its hardly fair to judge 'Was it worth it' based on people who didn't even finish the install and get to try it. For people who got frustrated and gave up before finishing the install, 'it' would obviously not be worth it, but 'it' is different for them so such a judgement is ambiguous. I also think another wording of the poll would be different if you were to include such people. I think the question as posed is intended for people who have finished the install and run Gentoo for some(however short) period of time, so that this comparison makes sense.
klarnox
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Gentoo is definitely worth it. Although I have several computers at home, so I still had a functioning computer while I worked my way through learning how to setup a Gentoo box.

Portage's ease of use makes the install worth it in my opinion... not to mention I rather enjoyed the install itself just because I learned so much from it.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo???

yes... yes... oh yeah, uhuh, oh oh oh yes yes yes yes Ohhh God!!! YEEEEEEEESSSSSS!

ummmm oh yess.... that was soooooo gooood!
You gotta love Portage! Best tool ever.... and it feels sooooo gooooodddd...

You haven't tried it yet? You don't know what is missing from your life until you try it.... Oh I'm getting soooo just by thinking of it... I gotta use it again!

emerge anything

Ohhhh yessss. That was good!

:twisted: Erik :twisted:
Korean Ian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'll have a friend help me set it up or perhaps, print a hard copy of the instal guide for refrence during the install. I've run into a few problems but I won't bore you with the details because I don't know enough to know exactly what they are :D

I find often the best way to learn is from experience, be it your own screwing up or be it someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks for all the replies. I have to do some work tonight so i can't afford to battle the monster of gentoo install. Perhaps try again this weekend.

I think this is an awesome community! From what I read, even though I'm maybe a bit over my head.

The documentation is amazing too. Kinda like windows yet unlike, (readable and it contains real information)

Thanks
Korean Ian
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean Ian wrote:

The documentation is amazing too. Kinda like windows yet unlike, (readable and it contains real information)

i hope this is some sort of sick sarcasm, but i really think you're serious, which is even more sick
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: