View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: KDE binary? Reply with quote

I know Gentoo is all about choice and all about source and so far I have no complaints. The only time this bugs me is when I emerge --update world and portage wants to recompile the whole of KDE. This is a slight problem since I only have a graying laptop and I have to leave it compiling through the night while it almost melts (it has a P4 processor). Anyway, my question is: Is there any possibility to install KDE binary packages instead of always having to recompile kde etc? I'm thinking of something along the lines of firefox-bin and azureus-bin.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How seldom are you updating the system that every time you emerge --update world, you have to recompile all of KDE? As far as binaries for KDE, you're mostly SOL. There is the Koraraa project, which is a binary install method for Gentoo. Sabayon installs binaries initially, but then builds stuff like base Gentoo. Vidalinux has a binary repository, but how well it would integrate with base Gentoo, I don't know. With Sabayon and Koraraa, you could use the discs as a local repository, but that'd kind of be a pain in the ass. A lot of people have done a lot of talking about some sort of binary repository for Gentoo, but as far as I know, it's never really gone anywhere.
broken_chaos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always not update that often - once every month or so, set aside about a day for compiling and fixing any issues that arise, if you can. Also, if you want to be able to use (at an acceptable speed) your laptop when emerging something, look at setting PORTAGE_NICENESS in /etc/make.conf - I find PORTAGE_NICENESS="10" to be a good value, but you can go higher (for a lower priority - meaning more 'bias' towards your non-portage tasks).

And I agree with didymos on thinking about how often you actually have to recompile KDE - it's not that often, unless you're running ~arch.
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broken_chaos wrote:
...setting PORTAGE_NICENESS in /etc/make.conf - I find PORTAGE_NICENESS="10" to be a good value...

This may also prevent your P4 processor from melting.
Nordog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that I'm indeed running ~x86 so I guess it's my own damn fault :). I really can't remember the reason for running it, but I seem to recall that it has something to with driver support. All in all it has served me well and updating hasn't yet messed up my comp (yet).

I do indeed try and update every month or so and that seems to work out ok. Most of the updates are small packages relating to the base system and I will quite happily compile them so as far as a Gentoo binary repository I'm not really all that interested. It's just that I don't really use KDE except for the apps Konqueror, Amarok and Kate so I must have the dependencies and for that reason it's kind of lame recompiling the whole thing because of a minor change in a dependency.

Thanks for the PORTAGE_NICENESS tip. I've seen that in passing but never bothered to follow up and find out what it's for. :) I study physics and work at the research labs and I have resorted to cooling my laptop with liquid nitrogen when things get out of hand. Hopefully I won't have to resort to that again now.

Anyway, this is no biggie. I just thought that as there are binary packages of openoffice and firefox there would perhaps be a KDE one lurking around.
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordog wrote:
...lame recompiling the whole thing...

To make your life easier with the recompilations, you may want to look at this howto about ccache . It speeds up compilations 5 to 10 times faster.
Nordog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, why have I never heard of this before? Thanks for the tip, I've already installed it. Seems to be working.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, avoid ACCEPT_KEYWORDS and go with /etc/portage/package.keywords. It's more maintenance than just the single variable in make.conf, but it'll save a lot of grief and a lot more maintenance from the constant updates with their inevitable bugs and incompatibilities. That way, you can just unmask the drivers you want and a couple dependencies if they're needed. Of course, you'll probably get stuck downgrading all sorts of crap if you make the changeover. Just don't downgrade the toolchain. You probably want to leave python as is, too. Actually, I've never thought about this before: how would you safely move from a completely "~arch" to a mostly "arch" system, with the minimum of wailing and gnashing of teeth?
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
Also, avoid ACCEPT_KEYWORDS and go with /etc/portage/package.keywords. It's more maintenance than just the single variable in make.conf, but it'll save a lot of grief and a lot more maintenance from the constant updates with their inevitable bugs and incompatibilities. That way, you can just unmask the drivers you want and a couple dependencies if they're needed. Of course, you'll probably get stuck downgrading all sorts of crap if you make the changeover. Just don't downgrade the toolchain. You probably want to leave python as is, too. Actually, I've never thought about this before: how would you safely move from a completely "~arch" to a mostly "arch" system, with the minimum of wailing and gnashing of teeth?

Unmask the packages that you think will cause problems by downgrading (Glibc, etc). Also unmask stuff you like at unstable -- then just take the keyword out and [code]emerge -avuDN world[/emerge]

(Just a guess, been running ~amd64 for years now)
broken_chaos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
Actually, I've never thought about this before: how would you safely move from a completely "~arch" to a mostly "arch" system, with the minimum of wailing and gnashing of teeth?

EDIT: Damn, beat to it!

Probably would take less time, overall, to just re-install the full system, after backing up your important data...
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not worth it, Just stay with the unstable and upgrade bi-weekly like I do. I don't get much KDE stuff to build actually, and I don't have problems with stability and not many breakages. If anything, let stuff compile overnight if you have a crappy computer like mine.
Nordog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've just opened up some kind of pandora'x box. Everything has gone haywire in my computer: fonts and colours are strange and the mouse has disappeared. So now it's either to fix this problem or consider a reinstall.
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keenblade wrote:
broken_chaos wrote:
...setting PORTAGE_NICENESS in /etc/make.conf - I find PORTAGE_NICENESS="10" to be a good value...

This may also prevent your P4 processor from melting.

NO it will not have that kind of an effect, when the cpu is doing nothing the the NICE value does not have that large of an effect. When nice comes into play is with priority as far a CPU usage is concerned.

Eg:

Program AA has a nice value of 10 assigned to it
Program BB has a nice value of 15 assigned to it

If program BB is executing, and Program AA requests the CPU, then because AA has a lower nice value (therefore a higher priority) the execution of BB can (and most likely) will be preempted so that AA can begin/resume exectution.

Also if you have 20 processes that all have a nice of 10, and you add one that has a nice of 15. That 15 niced process will get to use 100% of the CPU if it needs to, providing that the rest of the processes are idling. This is the situation when you leave your computer on over night.

My point: The idea of PORTAGE_NICENESS is not to reduce the heat generated by your CPU, but rather to allow normal user activities, like using a window manager and browser, to take place without having to fight for time on the CPU. All it does is lower the priority of the portage tasks. Which is why when there are no user tasks, the effect of PORTAGE_NICENESS is not as pronounced.
RoundsToZero
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your CPU has speed step and you are using the ondemand governor you can use niceness to this affect by echoing 1 to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load. This option makes it so that low priority processes won't cause the CPU speed to be raised, while still allowing the CPU to go to full speed for normal processes like web browsing, etc.
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordog, there is a new xorg-server v1.2 in portage. You may give it a try. I would not go from "~arch" to a "arch" without a new install.
RoundsToZero wrote:
... ondemand governor you can use niceness to this affect by echoing 1 to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load. This option makes it so that low priority processes won't cause the CPU speed to be raised, while still allowing the CPU to go to full speed for normal processes like web browsing, etc.

Nice tip. I've almost forgot ondemand governor. But I don't think Nordog's p4 cpu supports (for intel) "speed step" or (for amd) "cool & quiet". If it supports, using a profile like that would keep the cpu cooler.
Code:

name=On Demand Low
minfreq=20%
maxfreq=80%
policy=ondemand
[/Profile]

beatryder wrote:

NO it will not have that kind of an effect, when the cpu is doing nothing the the NICE value does not have that large of an effect. When nice comes into play is with priority as far a CPU usage is concerned...

Thanks for correction.

Last edited by keenblade on Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoundsToZero wrote:
If your CPU has speed step and you are using the ondemand governor you can use niceness to this affect by echoing 1 to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load. This option makes it so that low priority processes won't cause the CPU speed to be raised, while still allowing the CPU to go to full speed for normal processes like web browsing, etc.

This also works with the (IMHO) better conservative governor. The Conservative governor is like the ondemand but does not jump right to the highest speed, it slowly steps up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: