Can someone confirm this??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NiceGuy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Can someone confirm this?? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I need to preform a emerge --sync on a system that has not been sync'd to an outside mirror for quite a long time. I did this because I had a desriable blend of packages and did not want to tamper with it.I know that by preforming an emerge --sync, a system tends to loose its old ebuilds having them replaced with newer ebuilds.

Anyway, I was reading thru the gentoo docs and it appears that if I would like to preform an emerge --sync (to get the new ebuilds) but still maintain the older ebuilds currently on my system, then I should declare the PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS variable without the --delete and --delete-after options. Normally these two options, --delete and --delete-after, are default options meanig that if you do not declare your PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS variable in /etc/make.conf, then these two parameters are automatically passed (ie. turned on whenever preforming an emerge --sync).

## Note the absence of --delete and --delete-after in /etc/make.conf
Code:

PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --stats --timeout=180 "

Now this is how I currently think I can preform and an emerge --sync without loosing my existing ebuilds, but I was hoping that someone could confirm that my theory is correct ... who knows ... maybe someone has done this before??

Thanks again and Take Care
limn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like emerge may complain:
Quote:
WARNING: adding required option --exclude='/distfiles' not included in PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS (can be overridden with --exclude='!')
WARNING: adding required option --exclude='/local' not included in PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS (can be overridden with --exclude='!')
WARNING: adding required option --exclude='/packages' not included in PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS (can be overridden with --exclude='!')

but you can test your theory out by adding --dry-run.
It looks that your change will do what you want.
NiceGuy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

So far I have taken the plunge and attempted this .. I've preformed about three emerge --sync's on three diifferent systems ..each with the configuration specified ( read original first post) in /etc/make.conf.

I believe it is working ... my ebuilds do not appear to be getting deleted ... which is my goal. If my systems (which I now will sync up every two or three days) appear to continue in this way (where my ebuilds are not getting deleted) then I will post a "solved" in the topic title.

Thanks again
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: