Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[PALUDIS] Support thread (current v. 0.22.2) - Part 2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luqas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my codeblocks.conf and in my /usr/local/paludis/codeblocks/repo_name I have codeblocks.

Code:

location = ${ROOT}/usr/local/paludis/codeblocks
sync = svn://svn.berlios.de/codeblocks/trunk
profiles = ${ROOT}/usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop
eclassdirs = /usr/portage/eclass
distdir = /usr/portage/distfiles
format = ebuild
names_cache = ${location}/.cache/names
write_cache = /var/cache/paludis/metadata
Kenji Miyamoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to disable the make check/test under Paludis? Many ebuilds fail to install due to checks which weren't run under Portage.

Alex Libman seems to be more of an anarchist than a libertarian.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenji Miyamoto wrote:
Is there a way to disable the make check/test under Paludis? Many ebuilds fail to install due to checks which weren't run under Portage.

http://paludis.org/faq.html#stricter
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: To Paludis or not to Paludis Reply with quote

Well, i've browsed around the Paludis homepage, and this thread, and I am seriously contemplating if I should switch... There are a few things I don't really get, though.

The first is, whether installing Paludis would destabilize my system, or not. I guess there IS a reason why it's not a supported package manager. Is it a personal reason (like Portage devs hate Paludis devs - see ciaranm), or is it a professional one? How would it hurt me if I switched to Paludis?

The second is, whether I'd see any improvement over using Portage. Are there repositories with ebuilds that actually use the advanced services of Paludis, and give something extra over standard Gentoo? Or is it easier to use? More reliable? What good will it do me if I switch?
krisse
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: To Paludis or not to Paludis Reply with quote

Simius wrote:
[...]whether installing Paludis would destabilize my system, or not. [...]How would it hurt me if I switched to Paludis?

It won't. Neither destabilize your system or hurt you.

I recently installed, and started using, paludis. (By which I want to convey: I don't know anything about paludis etc etc, but from a similar standpoint as, I assume, yours.) You can have portage and paludis installed at the same time. You'd just use paludis as portage -- syncing, building and whatnot -- and if it doesn't work, well just run emerge instead. So you have nothing to lose, really.

Simius wrote:
[...] whether I'd see any improvement over using Portage.

Well... You might want to check this thread. There are several improvements, some you'd even notice right away by running it, some that give you more choice, and more.

Simius wrote:
Are there repositories with ebuilds that actually use the advanced services of Paludis, and give something extra over standard Gentoo?

I don't think paludis has "advanced services" in this sense. (Someone will correct me, I'm sure, if I'm wrong.) It's quicker, stricter, etc. But it is supposed to use the same ebuilds as portage.

However, one additional thing is news. I'm not sure about this though, because I've never gotten any items to read. I'm guessing this is because none of the repos I'm using, utilize that. (gentoo, armagetron and e17) But if I'd use the paludis overlay/repository, I'm guessing I'd get news now and then. (Right? Are there others, too?)
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new: app-paludis/paludis-hooks-ask-1.4
Quote:
* paludis-hooks-ask-1.4 - now configurable through it's own conf file (user's request) - authors: truc, zxy

Now you can configure the script as you wish through /etc/paludis/hooks/config/paludis-ask.conf. Defaults stay the same as they were.
spb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: To Paludis or not to Paludis Reply with quote

krisse wrote:
I don't think paludis has "advanced services" in this sense. (Someone will correct me, I'm sure, if I'm wrong.) It's quicker, stricter, etc. But it is supposed to use the same ebuilds as portage.
Paludis supports several ebuild-level features that Portage does not, mainly in dependency atoms and version specifications. It also has a complete implementation of [glep=42]GLEP 42[/glep]. As far as I know the only repository currently using any of these is the Paludis overlay.
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: To Paludis or not to Paludis Reply with quote

krisse wrote:
I recently installed, and started using, paludis. (By which I want to convey: I don't know anything about paludis etc etc, but from a similar standpoint as, I assume, yours.) You can have portage and paludis installed at the same time. You'd just use paludis as portage -- syncing, building and whatnot -- and if it doesn't work, well just run emerge instead. So you have nothing to lose, really.

Does that mean that Paludis uses the same database (/var/db/pkg, /var/lib/portage) for storing metadata, and the system state will automagically be consistent in Portage and Paludis, no matter which one I use?
I'm just asking because the HOWTO I read hinted it otherwise (one must "convert" the system from Portage to Paludis)...

krisse wrote:

However, one additional thing is news. I'm not sure about this though, because I've never gotten any items to read. I'm guessing this is because none of the repos I'm using, utilize that. (gentoo, armagetron and e17) But if I'd use the paludis overlay/repository, I'm guessing I'd get news now and then. (Right? Are there others, too?)

The very reason I asked this is that there is a thread about real multilib support instead of this hackish emul-linux-x86-shit, and somebody stated there that to implement actual multilib building, we would need "use based deps". I have no idea about the internal workings of portage, so I haven't the slightest idea what use based deps are, and how do they differ from normal dependencies (aren't those use based too?), but I read on the Paludis homepage that it does support "use based deps".
So if the framework is there, I wondered if anybody did the work and made some improvements that have been held back by the incompetence of Portage alone.

---

BTW, it just popped into my mind... If Paludis works this great, and doesn't destabilize the system, and there are no critical issues whatsoever, and it's sooo much better than Portage...
Well then WHY ISN'T IT SUPPORTED?
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simius wrote:

A looooong story. :roll:

You can find a lof of answers on the LOCKED threads on the forums..... (search for paludis)
Janax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zxy,

I've been using a couple of the ebuilds from your 'paludis-extras' repository, and now that I've upgraded to 0.18.0 I'm seeing all kinds of errors like this:

Code:

Building dependency list...paludis@1170864238: [WARNING] In program paludis -pi paludis-hooks-update-eix:
  ... When performing install action from command line:
  ... When executing install task:
  ... When adding PackageDepAtom 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix':
  ... When checking mask reasons for 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-2.0::paludis-extras'
  ... When fetching metadata for 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-2.0':
  ... When generating version metadata for 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-2.0':
  ... Caught exception 'Name '' is not a valid slot name' (paludis::SlotNameError) when generating cache for 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-2.0::paludis-extras'
paludis@1170864238: [WARNING] (same context) Could not generate cache for 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-2.0::paludis-extras'
paludis@1170864238: [WARNING] No usable metadata for 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-2.0' in 'paludis-extras'
paludis@1170864238: [WARNING] In program paludis -pi paludis-hooks-update-eix:
  ... When performing install action from command line:
  ... When executing install task:
  ... When adding PackageDepAtom 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix':
  ... When checking mask reasons for 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-1.1::paludis-extras'
  ... When fetching metadata for 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-1.1':
  ... When generating version metadata for 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-1.1':
  ... Caught exception 'Name '' is not a valid slot name' (paludis::SlotNameError) when generating cache for 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-1.1::paludis-extras'
paludis@1170864238: [WARNING] (same context) Could not generate cache for 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-1.1::paludis-extras'
paludis@1170864238: [WARNING] No usable metadata for 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-1.1' in 'paludis-extras'

Query error:
  * In program paludis -pi paludis-hooks-update-eix:
  * When performing install action from command line:
  * When executing install task:
  * When adding PackageDepAtom 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix':
  * All versions of 'app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix' are masked. Candidates are:
    * app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-1.1::paludis-extras: Masked by EAPI ( UNKNOWN ) (probably a broken ebuild)
    * app-paludis/paludis-hooks-update-eix-2.0::paludis-extras: Masked by EAPI ( UNKNOWN ) (probably a broken ebuild)

It looks like you need a line that says 'SLOT="0"' and also some keywords listed inside the ebuild (please include ~amd64 too). I've temporarily inserted the fixes in those ebuilds I use myself, but if you could please fix them in the repository then that would help everyone out!

Thanks!
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLOT="0" and ~amd64 are in the eclass in the repository (overlay)!

They are not missing.

I'll chek out why it does, what it does to you.
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you set the eclassdirs line in the conf file?
Code:

eclassdirs = ${ROOT}/usr/portage/eclass ${location}/eclass

Looks like not. It is in the news from 2007-01-29. (...path_to_overlay.../metadata/news/)

Last edited by zxy on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Janax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:oops: Uh - guess I'm pretty clueless there. Indeed, I had forgotten to append the ${location}/eclass. I had done this a while ago, but a drive corruption forced me to a backup last night. I only noticed this, of course, with your kind help.

Thanks, and sorry for my misinformation!
:oops:
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem
Martin.Jansa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone confirm, that >paludis-0.16.0 isn't compatible with gcc-4.2.0 tr1 implementation?

If I have changed
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.0-alpha20070131/include/g++-v4/tr1/type_traits_fwd.h to use namespace like in gcc-4.1, then std::tr1::shared_ptr isn't detected by configure and boost is probably used without problems.

When I set back to gcc-4.1* I'll get
Code:
/usr/bin/paludis: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.0-alpha20070129/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by /usr/bin/paludis)

Build error with gcc-4.2:
Code:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.0-alpha20070131/include/g++-v4/tr1/type_traits_fwd.h: In member function 'virtual void paludis::ConsoleQueryTask::display_metadata_dep(const std::string&, const std::string&, std::tr1::shared_ptr<const paludis::DepAtom>, bool) const':
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.0-alpha20070131/include/g++-v4/tr1/type_traits_fwd.h:122: error: 'template<class _Tp> struct std::tr1::is_empty' is not a function,
console_query_task.cc:307: error:   conflict with 'bool<unnamed>::is_empty(std::tr1::shared_ptr<const paludis::DepAtom>)'
console_query_task.cc:319: error:   in call to 'is_empty'
make[4]: *** [console_query_task.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[4]: Leaving directory `/tmp/paludis/sys-apps/paludis-0.18.0/work/paludis-0.18.0/src/output'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/paludis/sys-apps/paludis-0.18.0/work/paludis-0.18.0/src/output'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/paludis/sys-apps/paludis-0.18.0/work/paludis-0.18.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/paludis/sys-apps/paludis-0.18.0/work/paludis-0.18.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR in sys-apps/paludis-0.18.0:
!!! In src_compile at line 67
!!! emake failed

!!! Call stack:
!!!    * src_compile (/var/paludis/repositories/paludis-overlay/sys-apps/paludis/paludis-0.18.0.ebuild:67)
!!!    * ebuild_f_compile (/usr/libexec/paludis/src_compile.bash:49)
!!!    * ebuild_main (/usr/libexec/paludis/ebuild.bash:339)
!!!    * main (/usr/libexec/paludis/ebuild.bash:351)

die trap: exiting with error.

Install error:
  * In program /usr/bin/paludis -i =sys-apps/paludis-0.18.0:
  * When performing install action from command line:
  * When executing install task:
  * Install error: Install failed for 'sys-apps/paludis-0.18.0::paludis-overlay'

Resume command: /usr/bin/paludis --log-level qa --dl-deps-default discard --install '=sys-apps/paludis-0.18.0::paludis-overlay' --add-to-world-atom '( =sys-apps/paludis-0.18.0 )'

Paludis --info (after rebuild with portage on gcc-4.1):

Code:

paludis 0.18.0

Built by portage@jama on 2007-02-07T17:24:26+0100
CXX:         x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ 4.1.0-alpha20070129  (prerelease) (Gentoo 4.1.0_alpha20070129)
CXXFLAGS:    -O2 -march=k8
LDFLAGS:     -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--hash-style=both
DATADIR:     /usr/share
LIBDIR:      /usr/lib64
LIBEXECDIR:  /usr/libexec
SYSCONFDIR:  /etc
stdlib:      GNU libstdc++
libebt:      1.3.0
libwrapiter: 1.0.0
sandbox:     enabled

Package information:
        app-admin/eselect-compiler: 2.0.0_rc2-r1
        dev-java/java-config:  1.3.7, 2.0.31-r3
        dev-lang/python:       2.4.4
        dev-python/pycrypto:   2.0.1-r5
        dev-util/ccache:       2.4-r6
        dev-util/confcache:    (none)
        sys-apps/sandbox:      1.2.18.1
        sys-devel/autoconf:    2.13, 2.61
        sys-devel/automake:    1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
        sys-devel/binutils:    2.17.50.0.12
        sys-devel/gcc-config:  2.0.0_rc1
        sys-devel/libtool:     1.5.22
        virtual/os-headers:    2.6.20

Variable information:
        ACCEPT_KEYWORDS:
        AUTOCLEAN:
        CBUILD:                x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
        CFLAGS:                -Os -march=k8 -pipe -ftracer -ftree-vectorize -frename-registers -fweb -fno-ident -mmmx -msse -DNDEBUG -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT -DN
O_DEBUG
        CHOST:                 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
        CONFIG_PROTECT:        /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/config /usr/share/config
        CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK:   /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/eselect/compiler /etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /var/lib/rpm /etc/texmf/web2c /etc/revd
ep-rebuild /etc/splash
        CTARGET:
        CXXFLAGS:              -Os -march=k8 -pipe -ftracer -ftree-vectorize -frename-registers -fweb -fno-ident -mmmx -msse -DNDEBUG -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT -DNO_DEBUG -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -fvisibility=hidden
        DISTDIR:               /tmp/distfiles
        FEATURES:
        GENTOO_MIRRORS:
        INSTALL_MASK:
        LANG:
        LC_ALL:
        LDFLAGS:               -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--hash-style=both
        LINGUAS:               cs en_GB en
        MAKEOPTS:              -j2
        PKGDIR:
        PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS:
        PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS:
        PORTAGE_TMPDIR:        /var/tmp/paludis
        PORTDIR:               /usr/portage
        PORTDIR_OVERLAY:
        SYNC:
        USE:

krisse
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: To Paludis or not to Paludis Reply with quote

Simius wrote:
Does that mean that Paludis uses the same database (/var/db/pkg, /var/lib/portage) for storing metadata, and the system state will automagically be consistent in Portage and Paludis, no matter which one I use?

I'm out of my depth here, but: yes.

The portage2paludis script (found at the paludis site, you've seen it, I'm sure) seems to have configured it (/etc/paludis/repositories/gentoo.conf and ditto/installed.conf) so that paludis uses the same location as portage for tree, distfiles, and /var/db/pkg. The world file is (again, by the script, I guess, or the ebuild) linked to the portage world file, as following the tip in the migration guide at the paludis site. So the "pkg-list" is consistent, bot installed and available. I could even sync using paludis, and then see the changes in portage (an -uDpvN or whatever). (Or vice versa.)

...I don't know, maybe I'm blissfully ignorant of some horrid stuff that will soon come and haunt me, but so far, so good. And I could recommend testing paludis to anyone. ---But I wouldn't unmerge portage just yet. But that's just me.
boniek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquisitio is SLOW. At least compared to eix:
Code:

time eix gtk

real    0m0.470s
user    0m0.072s
sys     0m0.030s

time inquisitio --log-level silent -e name gtk

real    0m22.532s
user    0m16.850s
sys     0m2.325s

zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# time eix gtk

Found 113 matches.

real    0m0.060s
user    0m0.020s
sys     0m0.014s
Code:
# time inquisitio --log-level silent -e name gtk

real    0m7.850s
user    0m5.629s
sys     0m1.777s

You're right, but it's the first version. We'll see what the paludis guys will do in the future.
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zxy wrote:
Simius wrote:

A looooong story. :roll:

You can find a lof of answers on the LOCKED threads on the forums..... (search for paludis)

Why, somehow I did expect it to be voldemorted. It's what I said, right? That some devs hate some devs, and don't want to work together.

Well, I wonder if any of that bunch comes here now and then, just a few words of common sense for Gentoo devs:
(IF I am actually right, and there is nothing really wrong with Paludis. If there is something wrong, please inform me so I don't switch from Portage.) Well, let's see the whole picture:
1. You hate the Paludis devs, or they hate you, I don't know and don't care.
2. Paludis is more advanced and cleaner than portage, and is without fundamental flaws.

The answer seems obvious to me: FORK PALUDIS, and throw Portage into the bin. I don't want to interfere in anyone's human relationships, be they love or hate - but kindergarten-style animosities slowing the progress of useful development is pure human stupidity.
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I don't hate them. The :roll: was about the situation, that was hapening about the time when the first paludis support thread was starting. I like direct communication of the #paludis crowd a lot.

2. is true

I hope to see it in stable branch soon, but it will be there when everything is ready. I don't know when. Some other people might know much better than me.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simius wrote:
Well, I wonder if any of that bunch comes here now and then, just a few words of common sense for Gentoo devs:
(IF I am actually right, and there is nothing really wrong with Paludis. If there is something wrong, please inform me so I don't switch from Portage.)
post 3736722

Simius wrote:
The answer seems obvious to me: FORK PALUDIS, and throw Portage into the bin. I don't want to interfere in anyone's human relationships, be they love or hate - but kindergarten-style animosities slowing the progress of useful development is pure human stupidity.
bug 114944
semakwetu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: repairing a borked gzip upgrade Reply with quote

How to do this in paludis

Code:
sudo ebuild gzip-1.3.9.ebuild digest && sudo emerge =gzip-1.3.9 -1 && sudo emerge gzip -1

many thanks,
ashtophet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to digest with paludis[1], check http://paludis.pioto.org , FAQ and paludis vs. portage differences.

As for the other actions, pretty much the same as with emerge: paludis --install --preserve-world '=app-arch/gzip-1.3.9' ; paludis --install --preserve-world gzip

Instead of --preserve-world and --install, you can also use -1 and -i.

---------------------------------------
[1] Anyway, nothing stops you from doing ebuild foo.ebuild digest
Flatop
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems like semakwetu and I have the same issue. my gzip or tar package is completely borked, and I cannot untar a gzipped package. If I look in var/tmp/blah/gzip/work, it is blank. I trying to re install tar now (that work directory was OK and had the package already expanded.

I may have to get the gzip package on another computer and then copy the expanded files into the work directory of the affected computer.

Anybody else have this happen to them? I had it happen on two machines, and am not really sure how to fix.

EDIT- looks like a bug has been filed for the gzip 1.3.11 package.
spb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatop wrote:
I may have to get the gzip package on another computer and then copy the expanded files into the work directory of the affected computer.

Anybody else have this happen to them? I had it happen on two machines, and am not really sure how to fix.
Copy /bin/busybox to /bin/gzip, upgrade Paludis to 0.18.0, then reinstall gzip.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 7 of 20

Jump to: