What filesystem to share between Linux and OS X
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discostu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: What filesystem to share between Linux and OS X Reply with quote

I have an external hard drive that I would like to use with both my Gentoo box and my Mac OS X Tiger (Intel) laptop. I would like suggestions for the filesystem I should choose for my drive that will work with both. I don't need to use it with windows so I'd like to avoid any sort of FAT filesystem. I read that OS X Leopard will support ZFS, but that doesn't come out until sometime 2nd quarter this year. What options are there? I haven't really been able to find a comprehensive list of filesystems Mac supports.

Thanks. :)
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I got an interesting website: http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_fs.html

Quote:
While Mac OS X supports many filesystems, you might run into some that are not supported. Linux's ext2/3 and Reiser, for example, are not supported, although you can find an open source implementation of ext2 for Mac OS X.

You may want to try out the ext2 for MAC. A ext2 driver will support ext3, but it will not use the journal. (the ext3 must be unmounted correctly to be mounted as ext2 since the journal is deleted at unmout).

I have no other clue for now, I don't which of the other filesystems are supported by Linux :)
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use HFS+? Linux has full support for it, both reads and writes. And it's what OSX will use by default. Also, ZFS will not be available for Linux -- it can't be ported, as the source code license is incompatible with the GPL.
eroyf
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some developers had a talk about that a couple of days ago on IRC and they ended up recommending HFS+.
discostu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I was under the impression that HFS+ while supported under linux for both read/write was still not the recommended. Also, I've read that iPod's with HFS+ must disable journaling for write support. Is this still true? If you can dispel these statements it would be great.

Thanks!

(p.s. I have tried ext3 in the past using ext2 for Mac. I wasn't ever able to get it mounted. If the HFS+ doesn't work out, I'll try again).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: