why is projectM not in portage?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
batistuta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: why is projectM not in portage? Reply with quote

I've been using projectM for a looong time already and I'm very happy with it, it's amazing. :D
I was wondering why it's not in portage. Is there a more stable or developed replacement? There is an ebuild in bugs.gentoo.org, but in portage is not even masked.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Portage lacks many ebuilds for applications. You'll have to wait for a maintainer to pick up on the ebuild in portage, or read the Gentoo info pages on becoming a maintainer.
batistuta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this the only reason? ProjectM is too cool for not being in portage. There is an ebuild maintainer, because there is a quite recent ebuild in bugs.gentoo.org. It's just that it is not in portage.
genstef
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ebuild gets into portage when it is being committed to our CVS repository by a "developer". A developer has passed two quizzes and has had a very good mentoring. To get your ebuild into portage you have two choices a) get a current developer to commit the ebuild b) become a developer yourself in order to commit the ebuild.

For users there is also a way to commit ebuilds - but not for the official Gentoo Portage Tree. User committed ebuilds reside in the Gentoo Sunrise overlay.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since that is an xmms visualization plugin and xmms is being removed from portage, I doubt that it will ever be added to the tree. (Unless it is ported to other music players like Audacious)
batistuta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstef wrote:
An ebuild gets into portage when it is being committed to our CVS repository by a "developer"

You are a developer. Wanna commit it? :D
Just kidding. Thanks for the clarification. I will see if I can trigger someone looking at that bug entry to commit the ebuild. I could just say "who cares, I have my ebuild". But I think the whole community could benefit from it.

yabbadabbadont wrote:
Since that is an xmms visualization plugin and xmms is being removed from portage, I doubt that it will ever be added to the tree. (Unless it is ported to other music players like Audacious)

it works with Amarok via libvisual
DeliciousT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

projectM was supported by older versions of audacious via libvisual. Current versions have had libvisual support "temporarily removed for instability problems" according to faq at http://audacious-media-player.org/ Requests to nenolod the audacious developer for projectM have been put in here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-510532.html along with a whole host of other plugins that should make people forget their xmms sadness. I Look forward to the next audacious-plugins release.
batistuta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If looks like someone (Stefan?) too the task shortly after my post and now it's ~x86. Here is the link, and thanks to whoever did it!
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

batistuta wrote:
If looks like someone (Stefan?) too the task shortly after my post and now it's ~x86. Here is the link, and thanks to whoever did it!

flameeyes can be thanked for it. :D

http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/articles/2006/11/07/projectm-is-in-portage
DeliciousT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh happy day!
DeliciousT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to inform you that the newest version of audacious-plugins now has projectM support.
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeliciousT wrote:
I am pleased to inform you that the newest version of audacious-plugins now has projectM support.

Oh hell fucking yes!!!!!! I just updated audacious and audacious-plugins. So sweet! I had projectM running with audacious previously which I compiled myself, but it was an older version (0,97). Now I have 0.99 and it is so amazing! :D

P.S. What makes projectM so amazing is that it does all these awesome effects at super high resolution and it doesn't use much CPU!!

Screenie
Screenie 2
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, those screenshots are totally different from what I got...

I have a really powerful nvidia card (Quadro FX4000) with the factory drivers, 3d accel works perfect (never had a blink of a slowdown in Blender, even with lots of vertices), yet all I get from projectM are RED (yes, that's about the sigle color, with some occasional green and yellow thrown in) scopes. Yep, scopes. Round scopes, parallel scopes, but no background, none of the cool kaleidoscope effects I loved in milkdrop, nothing.

Is this something wrong with the audacious plugin, or is it that only the pbuffers plugin works nice, or is there some configuration step I missed? (I tried both the original config and the "fastcomputers" one too.)
TheChuckster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always felt that project-M was unstable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: