k3b question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: k3b question Reply with quote

Could someone explain the difference between writing speed and estimated writing speed?

I use verbatim dvd+r verbatim. The writing speed shows 11356kb/s(+8.2x) while the estimated writing speed shows 3601kb/s (+2.5x). What is the actual writing speed? Seems to me that the estimation is actually the writing speed, because burning 4.4 gb takes 29:41 minutes. My dvd burner is capable to burn x8 for dvd+/-R.

dma is on and i also used
Code:
hdparm -d1 -c1 -a8 -u1 /dev/dvd
k3b suggestion to maximize burning and playback performance.

Code:
hdparm  /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: k3b question Reply with quote

queen wrote:
Could someone explain the difference between writing speed and estimated writing speed?

I use verbatim dvd+r verbatim. The writing speed shows 11356kb/s(+8.2x) while the estimated writing speed shows 3601kb/s (+2.5x). What is the actual writing speed? Seems to me that the estimation is actually the writing speed, because burning 4.4 gb takes 29:41 minutes. My dvd burner is capable to burn x8 for dvd+/-R.

Code:

Code:
hdparm  /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)

We would have to look the source code to be sure, but I think that the estimated writing speed is an average (and thus, more near to the final result), while the writing speed is really the "actual writing speed" (which changes every moment depending on the part of the disk where you are writing and many other factors).
queen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: k3b question Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
queen wrote:

Code:

Code:
hdparm  /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)

We would have to look the source code to be sure, but I think that the estimated writing speed is an average (and thus, more near to the final result), while the writing speed is really the "actual writing speed" (which changes every moment depending on the part of the disk where you are writing and many other factors).

The writing speed didn't changed. The estimated writing speed changed. It was x2.5, x2.2, x1.5. I think i have some problems with the media. Seems to be corrupted. If it was x8.2 (11356kb/s) then 4.4gb would have been burned in around 7 minutes, while in my case it took about 30min.

I had problems with the media lately and was confirmed by someone who has windows too. In order to burn i got an error that said please load an empty disk. I had to force it twice and then it managed to burn.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: