View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: fluxbox essential questions Reply with quote

ok, i run xorg with fluxbox. i'm a web-developer so i want a kickass environment designed for maximum efficiency. meaning, editing multiple files at a time using vi, investigating many databases at a time, and having different web browsers open. i saw a gui with fluxbox on xorg that had shadows around all the windows. it had a bar on the left hand side of the screen where you could tab through different windows open in the desktop. and to the bottom left corner, there was a small icon menu that looked similar to OSX on a mac. what are these called? and how do i get 'em?
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound like fluxbox... find the screenshot and post a link to it. It sounds more like E17 or fvmw.
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's fluxbox. it's my friend's desktop. i have fluxbox that runs on xorg. i just wanna know how to do it.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just can't do that in pure fluxbox, you need external programs, and with that info is almost impossible to guess the panels/apps that your friend is using. Unless we can see the screenshot I think you are out of luck. Sometimes even seeing it, it is hard to figure out what is a given desktop using if the customization is too extreme.
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's ok. i appreciate it, anyways. i guess i'll just have to ask him later. when i figure it out tho, i'll post it in this thread.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadows could be from xcompmgr. The panel might be one of a few dozen, and the last bit sounds like one of a few dozen pagers...
Dud3!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a icon box that I can use with pekwm. MacOS style would be awesome, but as long as it's transparent (or just icons with no background, whichever) it'll make me happy.

I found x11-misc/iconbox but I don't think it can be transparent.
Dud3!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a thing for adesklets that pretty much just what I was looking for. It's called yab and it's pretty cool.
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i did some more research and i found that xcompmgr was the shadow effects, and yab was the little desklet. i have ati radeon graphics card, and xcompmgr runs SOOOO SLOWWWWW on there. and it really doesn't look the way it's supposed to. i tried running excellerated graphics on my xorg.conf file, but it still didn't help. so i think i'm going to have to find an alternative to xcompmgr. as for yab, i have no idea how to get that installed. i emerged it. ran make and make install. i also ran yab.pl to register it. but i now have no idea what to do. how do i start it up with fluxbox? is it part of the fluxbox slit or is it something independant? i have not been able to find any information particularly on yab. please help.
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i figured out what was wrong with my yab. basically i had to emerge imlib2 with png support in my useflags. then i tested it. then i registered it. then i ran adesklets. and boom. it worked. now i'm just going to configure where it comes up on the screen and to run it upon startup.
imcominup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody know how to move the yab desklet around the screen? right now it's top left. i'd like it to be bottom left.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: