computer crashes while installing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wimbo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: computer crashes while installing Reply with quote

hello,

I just bought a laptop: hp pavilion dv6276eu with AMD Turion64(x2), 2GB RAM and nvidia GeForce Go 7200. I try to install from the install-amd64-minimal-2006.1.iso. All went fine during initial install (till the moment you get to reboot). The system seemed fine, so I wanted to install xorg-x11. Yesterday I got the message
Code:
Clock skew detected
Since I didn't quite know what to do about it, and it was already late, I just turned the thing off and went to bed. (By the way, I have dual boot with the vista-thing for the moment, that might explain the clock thing, altough i've set it to "local", as specified in the handbook)
Today I tried again (without changing anything). Strangely enough I didn't get the clock warning anymore. But while emerging, my computer suddenly stopped working. Changing to another console wasn't possible anymore. The only thing I could do was to cut power. I'm doing something wrong ofcourse, cause gentoo wouldn't crash on me like that. The only thing is, I don't know where to look. Anyone?

greetz,

wimbo
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm doing something wrong ofcourse, cause gentoo wouldn't crash on me like that.

hopefully not ; )

Quote:
my computer suddenly stopped working. Changing to another console wasn't possible anymore. The only thing I could do was to cut power.

having another computer around (even running windoze) on the network could be useful to you. Sometimes X locks up the display (i especially have these problems on Intel graphics chipsets) and still you can ssh into the box and shut it down normally. However, in this case it sounds like something else is wrong.
Quote:
AMD Turion64(x2)

try booting with the nosmp option to the kernel. Also consider trying with noapic. And have you tested your ram? put in the minimal cd and at the boot: prompt type memtest-86 (or similar) and let it go for a little while at least, if not through at least one test. usually bad ram starts spitting errors real fast.

Quote:
All went fine during initial install (till the moment you get to reboot).

perhaps we should be blaming your kernel. Have you built lots of kernels before?
wimbo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erik258 wrote:
perhaps we should be blaming your kernel. Have you built lots of kernels before?

well, it looks like the problem is indeed the kernel. i've build a kernel with genkernel now and for the moment everything seems ok. X is building and the computer doesn't seem to crash.
i find it rather strange, 'cause although i'm far from experienced, it isn't my first kernel ever. (be it not on this commputer). anyhow, i'd like to get rid of the genkernel as soon as possible, 'cause the fun of gentoo is ofcoure that you don't have to load all unnecessary things. is there a good way to create a kernel, based on this working genkernel?

greetz,

wimbo
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for one thing, you could try to copy the config. i like the /proc/config.gz source of this info, but it may not be available, in which case i don't know where exactly to look, having not used genkernel myself. On the other hand, genkernel probably will perform just as well for you. How much of your overall memory usage do you think is kernel space? After all, the driver isn't going to be resident in memory if the hardware isn't there.

You might also try, if you could get a copy of that config, you could compare it to your own and see what it has that yours seems like it maybe should. I think i would just edit with make menuconfig though and take out everything i know i don't need.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: