Move suspended process to foreground?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Move suspended process to foreground? Reply with quote

If I start a process on my home system - is there any way to suspend the program, letting it run in the background, log out of the system, go to work, log in via rsh and continue working with the program?
nohup helps to keep the program alive after logging out, but I can't get the process to foreground again and the contents of nohup.out aren't really much help when using a dialog based program...

cvk
Sedated
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Move suspended process to foreground? Reply with quote

cvk wrote:
If I start a process on my home system - is there any way to suspend the program, letting it run in the background, log out of the system, go to work, log in via rsh and continue working with the program?
nohup helps to keep the program alive after logging out, but I can't get the process to foreground again and the contents of nohup.out aren't really much help when using a dialog based program...

cvk

emerge screen. it rocks. CTRL+A, d to detach... screen -x to reattach. screen has about a billion options, so you would do well to read up about it, but you'll enjoy it immensely as i'm sure any user of it does.
"If you lend someone twenty dollars, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it."
cvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT! thanks a lot.

cvk
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: