Remote File Backup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syntac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Remote File Backup Reply with quote

I am currently using my gentoo computer as a file server for my network that is running both samba and an ftpd. I recently bought an external hard drive and I would like to copy roughly 40GB worth of files from my gentoo machine on to the external hard drive (NTFS). The external drive will be connected to a Windows XP machine. I'm looking for some methods on how to do this that will insure the data is 1:1. Can I simply 'drag and drop' the files and rest assured that a perfect backup has been made or should I use some software to do all the work for me?

Wade
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try unison its in portage and it will verify that the data is the same on both sides although it is slow...

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this question about Gentoo? Am I understanding correctly that the actual copying will be performed from Windows XP?

If you've only ever used the Samba/FTP share from Windows, you have nothing to worry about. If you transfered files from a *NIX machine over FTP or Samba with UNIX extensions or case sensitivity enabled, you risk losing metadata (permissions, timestamps, etc.) or, in the case of filenames differing only by case, data.
syntac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relevance to Gentoo is that I was considering programs for either Gentoo or Windows. An example might be a program that runs on Gentoo that creates multiple mini image files that I can transfer over to windows and use a program to extract it all without risk of losing data integrity. I don't know if this exists or not, which is why I was asking. I'm just looking for some suggestions on different methods of doing this with the pros/cons weighed out.
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For unison you would run it on gentoo and on windows and the transfer would be from unison to unison. There is one catch. You need the same versions on both systems which is difficult because there are only a few windows binaries available. About 3 years ago I used unison to transfer around 1TB of medical images from several windows servers to our gentoo servers and I did not loose anything..

With that said samba has been very reliable for me so wouldn't expect to loose any data their either.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
morgant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: rsync is you're friend Reply with quote

When I need to do this sort of thing, I use rsync since already it already has source/destination comparison. Specifically, I use
Code:

rsync -tLcrv $source $destination

Rsync tends to get overlooked because it's generally used for internet transfers, but there's no reason not to use it locally. If rsync doesn't float your boat, there's always md5deep.

"Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: