View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klees
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: KDE - No Sound System Reply with quote

I installed KDE without aRts support. However, I do have alsa configured and running. I get this error when I go to Sound System. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Sound System Error

Last edited by klees on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ce110ut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't mention the state of your alsa setup so I will ask. Do you have alsasound started? you wouldn't get that message if your setup was muted... if your soundcard drivers are compiled as modules, are they loaded?
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do a
/etc/init.d/alsaconfig start

than try again with kde,
did u manage to get any sound (outside kde?)
try this manual: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ALSA_Complete_(includes_dmix)
klees
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsa starts on boot and loads the appropriate driver (snd_intel8x0). Plus I can hear MP3s with mpg321. So I assume I configured ALSA properly. Am I missing something??
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncheck the box "enable sound system" in "sound system"

For system sounds, use "system notifications" and change "player settings"

poly-p man

While reading this post, pretend I'm talking slowly and using "air quotes" :)

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
klees
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
Uncheck the box "enable sound system" in "sound system"

For system sounds, use "system notifications" and change "player settings"

poly-p man

While reading this post, pretend I'm talking slowly and using "air quotes" :)

Does that mean that sound system only works with aRts?
Mnith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klees wrote:
Does that mean that sound system only works with aRts?

As far as I know, yes, however I'm not 100% sure about it. But aRts is so much buggy and annoying, that I keep it turned off.

If you need just to play music and watch video and don't care about system notifications, just add "alsa" to yout USE flags in /etc/make.conf and then emerge amarok and mplayer or reemerge it with '--newuse' option. If you need some further help with setting up surround sound I might be able to help since I've recently managed to get it to work.

Good luck then!

BTW. I just wanted to start new topic about aRts, but since I've found this one, I think that would be good place to ask this qustion. As I've just stated a while ago, I'm not using aRts. However I would like to find some other sound daemon with similar functionality. It's quite annoying that at the same time only one program can use sound card. For me it's annoying and nothing more, but for my family without any computer interest it is much bigger problem, since they don't remember to turn off amarok if they want to watch some movie or not to use two mplayer's at the same time. So if someone knows anything, that can handle aRts duties, I would really apreciate some hints.

- Edward Stachura
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I've been using Alsa for weeks! If you uncheck the use system box, then arts is disabled. The error is that you are trying to use arts without arts compiled.

Uncheck the box and fix the player (I use playsound, you can use mplayer). That should work.

poly-p man

Mnith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enable sound system = turn on aRts. Maybe I'm a dumb or so, but I think kless asked exactly whether this option should be checked or unchecked. As far as I know (but I still consider myselef as a noob, so correct me if I'm wrong) alsa and KDE's "sound system" are two different things. I have all this sound system thing turned off, but I can still watch movies with sound or listen to music. I've simply compiled amarok, mplayer, kplayer and VLC with "alsa" use flag, and then configured each of this programs to use "alsa" as a sound output. Furthermore I have lately emerged and configured Wine to use alsa and I can play my favourite HoM&M III with sound as well. To be honest I don't know, if I can set up system notifications with sound system turned off, but I don't care about it, because all this "rings and beeps" was one of the most annoying thigs in THE-SYSTEM-WITH-A-NAME-I-DON'T-WANT-TO-MENTION-HERE and I had it always turned off it "that system" ;)

- Edward Stachura
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this issue a while ago. Apparently kdelibs has to have arts support. Even if you don't use arts (and, don't use arts), you still need the arts USE flag enabled just for kdelibs. You can then configure it to use alsa or whatever you like.

So,
Code:
# echo 'kde-base/kdelibs arts' >> /etc/portage/package.use
# emerge -uDNva world
It will emerge arts too, but like I said, you don't have to use it.

HTH,
m
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
Mnith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right. I forgot that I emerged kdelibs with "alsa arts" flags, but I always wondered if it was really necessairy or not. But if you say it is, it might be true. I'm too lazy to reemerge kdelibs with "-arts" just to check it ;)

And what about any replacement for arts?

- Edward Stachura

Last edited by Mnith on Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The future is phonon which looks awesome. But I think for now you have no choice but to use arts. I may be mistaken there though.

-m
Samsung x360
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to emerge kdelibs with arts anymore. Just follow the instructions above by poly_poly-man!
Mnith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it really looks nice. But it is still far from being finished...

- Edward Stachura
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
No. I've been using Alsa for weeks! If you uncheck the use system box, then arts is disabled. The error is that you are trying to use arts without arts compiled.

Uncheck the box and fix the player (I use playsound, you can use mplayer). That should work.

poly-p man
I get no sound in KDE apps in KDE if I don't have alsa compiled into kdelibs. The problem persisted across two systems with different arch's and, since I was doing other things along the way, through a couple emptytree emerges. Compiling kdelibs with arts but turning on alsa did work.

You guys using the meta packages or the monolithic ones? I use fluxbox normally, so I only really noticed it after I switched to meta kde.

-m
Samsung x360
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USE flags - "-arts alsa"

emerge --newuse --deep world

Should work. Set up kde as I said earlier.

For amarok, etc., just fix xine in the config for each.

My kdelibs doesn't have arts in the uf's.

poly-p man

BTW: In KDE config, "Sound system" _is_ synonymous for "arts"

I found this, but I basically summed it up here.

Evincar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am completely confused...but that's probably because I am a complete newbie.

Doesn't USE="-arts" disable KDE sound? I understand that you could play another mp3/cd player, but what if you either want some system sounds or simply use the KDE CD player? (whatever it's the name...). You are forced to use the buggy (well, you say so and I believe you :)) aRts?

I for one can run speaker-test and hear all the pink noise, the sine, and the wav saying "left, front", or something like that, with good quality. Unfortunately, I am at work with XP, and can't tell you more about it...
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-arts disables the _aRts_ sound daemon, not KDE sound altogether. Kde is totally happy using alsa, as long as you set it up as I said.

When kde says sound system, iit mean arts. You can have sound in kde without arts. If you compile kde without arts, arts won't be used, but sound still can be.

"arts" and "sound" are _totally_ different concepts!!!!!

poly-p man

madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
-arts disables the _aRts_ sound daemon, not KDE sound altogether. Kde is totally happy using alsa, as long as you set it up as I said.

When kde says sound system, iit mean arts. You can have sound in kde without arts. If you compile kde without arts, arts won't be used, but sound still can be.

"arts" and "sound" are _totally_ different concepts!!!!!

poly-p man
Again, not my experience since the arts daemon provides all sorts of functionality to KDE not just the ability to play a sound which can be done fine with mplayer. Glad it works for you though. I'd be happy to purge KDE of arts.

For detailed explanation of how I had to configure KDE to get the sound working see this thread
Samsung x360
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madisonicus, that is an old thread, and with kde 3.5.6 (at least the split ebuilds) it now really works without arts.
CloudBolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evincar wrote:

Doesn't USE="-arts" disable KDE sound? I understand that you could play another mp3/cd player, but what if you either want some system sounds or simply use the KDE CD player? (whatever it's the name...). You are forced to use the buggy (well, you say so and I believe you :)) aRts?

I for one can run speaker-test and hear all the pink noise, the sine, and the wav saying "left, front", or something like that, with good quality. Unfortunately, I am at work with XP, and can't tell you more about it...

-arts disables the KDE sound server, which gives you the error in the Control Center, but you can just emerge sox(Sound eXchange) with the esd useflag enabled, and configure KDE to send all system sounds to "play"(the SoX player binary), by going to Control Center-->Sound & Multimedia-->System Notifications, and clicking Player Settings. there, select "use an external player", and just type "play" in the Player field. that will send system sounds to EsounD. next, emerge all programs using any kind of sound engine with the useflags esd or xine(enable the esd useflag for xine-lib if any program you want to emerge has the xine useflag enabled.). In the desired program's settings, set audio output to either esd or xine, and configure xine to send it's audio to esd(which you can often do in the program you want to use with xine itself). Now all audio is mixed by esd and sent to your soundcard.
DOS is a boot partition virus.
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@yngwin: While I'm not sure I'd call August 06 "old", I'm no luddite and will try KDE again without arts. Is it a 3.5.6 thing only or does the no arts option extend to 3.5.5?

@CloudBolt: Am I missing something? There's no esd USE flag for sox that I see:
Code:
$ emerge -pv sox
[ebuild   R   ] media-sound/sox-12.17.9  USE="alsa encode mad ogg" 458 kB
Or did you mean to emerge sox and also use the esd USE flag?
Samsung x360
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sox?

I just use playsound. That comes with sdl_sound, btw.

All kde sound apps use either automatic alsa detection or need a slight config change (in settings)

You can get (as I have done) full sound support with ever compiling arts!

poly-p man

madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. I did not know about the "Player Settings" option in "System Notifications". I had been trying to do it all in "Sound System" which seemed logical to me.

Thanks!
Samsung x360
Evincar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudBolt wrote:
Evincar wrote:

-arts disables the KDE sound server, which gives you the error in the Control Center, but you can just emerge sox(Sound eXchange) with the esd useflag enabled, and configure KDE to send all system sounds to "play"(the SoX player binary), by going to Control Center-->Sound & Multimedia-->System Notifications, and clicking Player Settings. there, select "use an external player", and just type "play" in the Player field. that will send system sounds to EsounD. next, emerge all programs using any kind of sound engine with the useflags esd or xine(enable the esd useflag for xine-lib if any program you want to emerge has the xine useflag enabled.). In the desired program's settings, set audio output to either esd or xine, and configure xine to send it's audio to esd(which you can often do in the program you want to use with xine itself). Now all audio is mixed by esd and sent to your soundcard.

Yes, I did it yesterday and it works perfectly, at least the system sounds does, many thanks. However, I still believe it is confusing that "enable sound system" means using an specific daemon!! As madisonicus says, it seemed logical to me that box had to be checked if I wanted sound :roll:.

Well, I will try the rest (MP3 player, etc, play does work with MP3 but that would mean writing the command whenever I want to listen something...) when I am back at home and fix my new problem with UDEV :oops:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: