my first gentoo install - emerge x11-terms/eterm fails [slvd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsgleason
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: my first gentoo install - emerge x11-terms/eterm fails [slvd Reply with quote

I installed gentoo on my desktop following the gentoo x86 handbook.

I am using genkernel linux-2.6.19-gentoo-r5

After getting through the entire Installing Genoo portion of the handbook with no problem, I started on xorg...

I followed the The X Server Configuration HOWTO and the Gentoo Linux nVidia Guide

I got my x server working enough to be able to run the x server with my test xorg.conf file and get the glx direct rendering to work and the glxgears to work nicely. I haven't bothered with the specifics of my graphics card or monitor yet..

I then started the fluxbox install, which is where i am currently stuck. I am following the The Fluxbox Configuration HOWTO and i have problems right off the bat.

it says to run "emerge fluxbox xlockmore x11-terms/eterm"

fluxbox and xlockmore installed fine, but x11-terms/eterm did not. i resynched my tree to no avail. Here's my make.conf:
Code:
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo ftp://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo "
INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
USE="nvidia -gnome -kde"

Here is the error I get during compliation of eterm:
Code:
make[2]: *** [Eterm] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/eterm-0.9.3-r4/work/Eterm-0.9.3/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/eterm-0.9.3-r4/work/Eterm-0.9.3'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-terms/eterm-0.9.3-r4 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1546:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 937:   Called src_compile
  eterm-0.9.3-r4.ebuild, line 51:   Called die

!!! make failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

The entire output of the attempt to "emerge x11-terms/eterm" is here as it is too big to post.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first gentoo experience and I'm a little confused at this point.

Last edited by gsgleason on Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc  -march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe -L/usr/lib  -o Eterm -rpath /usr/lib:/usr/lib/Eterm main.o libEterm.la  -lImlib2 -ldl -lX11  -lSM -lICE -lpcre    -lSM -lICE -lXmu -lutempter -last -lXext -lX11 -lutil -lm 
gcc -march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe -o .libs/Eterm main.o  -L/usr/lib ./.libs/libEterm.so /usr/lib/libImlib2.so /usr/lib/libfreetype.so -lz /usr/lib/libXmu.so /usr/lib/libXt.so -lutempter /usr/lib/libast.so /usr/lib/libSM.so /usr/lib/libICE.so /usr/lib/libpcre.so /usr/lib/libXext.so /usr/lib/libX11.so /usr/lib/libXau.so /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so -ldl -lutil -lm -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib:/usr/lib/Eterm
./.libs/libEterm.so: undefined reference to `imlib_render_pixmaps_for_whole_image'
./.libs/libEterm.so: undefined reference to `imlib_context_set_display'
./.libs/libEterm.so: undefined reference to `imlib_render_pixmaps_for_whole_image_at_size'
./.libs/libEterm.so: undefined reference to `imlib_context_set_colormap'
./.libs/libEterm.so: undefined reference to `imlib_context_set_drawable'
./.libs/libEterm.so: undefined reference to `imlib_context_set_visual'
./.libs/libEterm.so: undefined reference to `imlib_free_pixmap_and_mask'
Eterm depends on imlib2. I'm surprised portage didn't ask to emerge it as well. Try the emerge again with --deep and it should pull in imlib2. If not, then you'll probably need to emerge it separately:
Code:
# emerge -1uDvaN media-libs/imlib2

Allow me to take this opportunity though to point out that your USE flags are pretty sparse. If that's what you're aiming for (especially if this is a mostly headless server) then, of course, Gentoo is yours to do with as you like. However, most people find they enjoy a more robust collection of USE flags. There's a good section on the Gentoo-portage page that lists USE flags and which packages they effect.

I'm curious to know which profile you're using too. If you're going to use this machine for a desktop, I'd suggest switching to the default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop profile or whichever desktop profile is appropriate for your architecture. Your emerge --info will tell you which you currently have enabled.

When you do emerges of major packages it is always a good idea to use the --pretend option first to see which use flags are available, which are turned on, and which you might want to adjust. Using the --ask option lets you see what will get done and allow you to nix it in case it's not what you want.

HTH,
m
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
gsgleason
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the output of emerge --info:
Code:
gregory ~ # emerge --info
Portage 2.1.1-r2 (default-linux/x86/2006.1, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.4-r3, 2.6.19-gent                                                                             oo-r5 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.1
Last Sync: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 23:30:01 +0000
app-admin/eselect-compiler: [Not Present]
dev-java/java-config: [Not Present]
dev-lang/python:     2.4.3-r1
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache:     [Not Present]
dev-util/confcache:  [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.13-r3
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/X11/xkb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo ftp://ftp.gtlib.gatech.ed                                                                             u/pub/gentoo "
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress                                                                              --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude='/d                                                                             istfiles' --exclude='/local' --exclude='/packages'"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 alsa_cards_ali5451 alsa_cards_als4000 alsa_cards_atiixp alsa_cards_atii                                                                             xp-modem alsa_cards_bt87x alsa_cards_ca0106 alsa_cards_cmipci alsa_cards_emu10k1                                                                              alsa_cards_emu10k1x alsa_cards_ens1370 alsa_cards_ens1371 alsa_cards_es1938 als                                                                             a_cards_es1968 alsa_cards_fm801 alsa_cards_hda-intel alsa_cards_intel8x0 alsa_ca                                                                             rds_intel8x0m alsa_cards_maestro3 alsa_cards_trident alsa_cards_usb-audio alsa_c                                                                             ards_via82xx alsa_cards_via82xx-modem alsa_cards_ymfpci alsa_pcm_plugins_adpcm a                                                                             lsa_pcm_plugins_alaw alsa_pcm_plugins_asym alsa_pcm_plugins_copy alsa_pcm_plugin                                                                             s_dmix alsa_pcm_plugins_dshare alsa_pcm_plugins_dsnoop alsa_pcm_plugins_empty al         
sa_pcm_plugins_extplug alsa_pcm_plugins_file alsa_pcm_plugins_hooks alsa_pcm_plu                                                                             gins_iec958 alsa_pcm_plugins_ioplug alsa_pcm_plugins_ladspa alsa_pcm_plugins_lfl                                                                             oat alsa_pcm_plugins_linear alsa_pcm_plugins_meter alsa_pcm_plugins_mulaw alsa_p                                                                             cm_plugins_multi alsa_pcm_plugins_null alsa_pcm_plugins_plug alsa_pcm_plugins_ra                                                                             te alsa_pcm_plugins_route alsa_pcm_plugins_share alsa_pcm_plugins_shm alsa_pcm_p                                                                             lugins_softvol berkdb bitmap-fonts cli cracklib crypt cups dlloader dri elibc_gl                                                                             ibc fortran gdbm gpm iconv input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse ipv6 isdnl                                                                             og kernel_linux lcd_devices_bayrad lcd_devices_cfontz lcd_devices_cfontz633 lcd_                                                                             devices_glk lcd_devices_hd44780 lcd_devices_lb216 lcd_devices_lcdm001 lcd_device                                                                             s_mtxorb lcd_devices_ncurses lcd_devices_text libg++ midi ncurses nls nptl nptlo                                                                             nly nvidia pam pcre perl ppds pppd python readline reflection session spl ssl tc                                                                             pd truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode userland_GNU video_cards_nvidia xorg                                                                              zlib"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGU                                                                             AS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

eek! I'm not sure which of these is the "profile" you mention..

Regarding your USE flag advice -- I admit i have no idea what I'm doing...at all. From the above output, however, I would think that my USE flags are rather huge!

The entire USE flag thing is a little foreign to me. I really haven't decided what I am and am not going to use yet, as I've never really used linux as a desktop environment, and the fact that I have no idea what most of those USE options are doesn't help, either.

How would you suggest I alter my USE flags?

Anyway..I am currently running your suggested command of emerge -1uDvaN media-libs/imlib2 as the --deep option make no apparent difference. I'll let you know how that goes..
gsgleason
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad news. After emerging imlib2 I get the same failure emerging eterm:
Code:
!!! ERROR: x11-terms/eterm-0.9.3-r4 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1546:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 937:   Called src_compile
  eterm-0.9.3-r4.ebuild, line 51:   Called die

!!! make failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

Any thoughts?

Maybe the actual eterm eterm-0.9.3-r4 source is broken?

Will someone else try emerging eterm to see if they get the same result?
gsgleason
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: [solved] Reply with quote

Hey I got it to work. All I did was change my profile from the default of /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.1/ to the desktop subprofile /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop

I have no idea why this fixed it.
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: [solved] Reply with quote

gsgleason wrote:
Hey I got it to work. All I did was change my profile from the default of /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.1/ to the desktop subprofile /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop

I have no idea why this fixed it.
The profiles contain a list of masked packages and USE flags. Switching to the desktop one enabled some which apparently were needed. The desktop profile is probably the best choice for a new arrival to Gentoo. As you become more familiar with how things work in Gentoo, then you'll want to experiment. And don't be afraid to add new USE flags as you see fit.

If you do a new emerge --info, you'll note that you have more USE flags and at the very top it will say default-linux/x86/2006.1/desktop instead of default-linux/x86/2006.1. That shows the new profile. Everything else in that emerge --info looks fine. You're off to a good start.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

-m
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: