View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: xbindkeys - long delay in response Reply with quote

I've been using xbindkeys for a while now to map commands to the various buttons on my Logitech MX-1000 mouse. It's always worked great, but beginning about a week ago there's about a 2 second delay between pressing a button on the mouse and getting the response on screen. Eg, if I have Ctrl-W mapped to one of the thumb buttons (to close browser tabs or windows), it now takes two seconds after pressing the button before the tab will close. If I press it and then quickly change windows with Alt-Tab on the keyboard, the Ctrl-W will actually be issued to the wrong window.

As far as I can tell, this issue began after I followed the directions in the Using UTF-8 with Gentoo guide. The only clue I've been able to get from xbindkeys itself seems to corroborate this, but I don't know what to do about it:

Code:
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-lucidatypewriter-bold-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

When I run 'xbindkeys -n' I get those two lines every time I press a mouse button. The first line appears immediately after pressing the button, and the second line is delayed about 2 seconds, then appears immediately before the action is carried out. Like I said, though, I don't know what to do about it.

Any suggestions or pointers? This has been driving me nuts for the last week or so, and I'd really love to get this resolved.

Thanks.
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out. It was actually a problem with xvkbd rather than xbindkeys. After doing a whole lot of forum searching, I eventually stumbled across Seron's suggestion in this post. Sure enough, it worked perfectly. I did a little more digging and found that as part of the Unicode conversion I set LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8. By simply commenting that line out (leaving it unset altogether), xvkbd and xbindkeys both work perfectly fine, even without the LC_ALL=C trick in front of it.

Just wanted to post this info in case anyone else has this issue.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: