View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umibozu_it
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: framebuffer resolution wrong when xdm starts Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

i'm experiencing a weird problem when xdm start. basically the resolution of the framebuffer console (which is ok during boot) is changed and becomes unreadable. the screen shows the console repeated horizontally 4 or 5 times with unreadable characters. this happens only when xdm is started, booting the system without the desktop environment leaves the console to a right resolution... does anybody know how to solve the problem? thanks!
modified_bessel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check xorg.conf. In the Screen section, you will have some appropriate subsection for the default depth you are using, like
Code:
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16

Here, add the correct mode for what you want to use in X, like

Code:
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes     "640x480"

If there is another mode there already, or even multiple ones, get rid of the ones you don't want and insert the one you want, or at least assure that the one you want first in the list.

X is not being used in the boot-up framebuffer, and only comes into play after you startx, etc. I assume you are using the vesa framebuffer driver in X?
umibozu_it
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, thanks for answering

in my xorg.conf i only have 1 mode (1280x800) which is the resolution i run in gdm and even in the vesafb framebuffer (before x starts)

i've tried adding a general "safe" mode but nothing changed, after the display manager is started the console becomes totally unreadable... i don't know what could be the problem, it looks like X tries to set a resolution not supported by the monitor but the monitor itself doesn't flicker like when you try to set a refresh rate higher than its capabilities... so the problem might even not be the resolution,but maybe the console font X sets up... i really don't know where to look though. i remember the problem showing up when i was trying to set up boot themes...
thanks
modified_bessel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I also had endless problems a couple of years ago trying to change boot themes!

My problem is switching an OS between 2 boxes each with different screen sizes (modes) and with vesafb it matters which mode appears first in xorg.conf (1024x768 or 640x480); clearly we don't have the same problem. Sorry then that I can't offer much help here, except maybe to try to re-establish the original boot screen.........
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: