Changing Hard Drives
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caeberos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Changing Hard Drives Reply with quote

okay, I just changed out the hard drives on my system.

I copied over all files from one hard disc onto the other, I made the right partitions, I made it bootable, I know part of what I did works because I can get all the way through loading the kernel, and down to the part where the system tries to mount the root file system in read/write mode, and it tells me that I cannot and allows me to go into maintanance mode....

what do I do now?

Help, I really don't have time to reinstall gentoo this weekend

-Cae
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: how did you copy? Reply with quote

Just how did you copy said disk? Depending on what you did, you may or may not have gotten everything.

Best way is to use dd to go from old drive to new drive of same or larger size. Any leftover space can then be used to create a new partition.
Caeberos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i used the cp command and a couple of flags that were to preserve permissions and so fourth

:edit:
I really don't remember what flags I used, this happened a couple of weeks ago, I haven't been home since then
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that your fstab is still correctly listing the partitions you use. Also if you changed from a pata to a sata disk you probably need to change /dev/hdX entries to /dev/sdX entries.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Caeberos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the fstab entries and they all look correct, all the drives are sda1 - sda3 for boot, swap and root respectively.
bilbravo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: how did you copy? Reply with quote

vaxbrat wrote:
Just how did you copy said disk? Depending on what you did, you may or may not have gotten everything.

Best way is to use dd to go from old drive to new drive of same or larger size. Any leftover space can then be used to create a new partition.

++

I switched an 80GB IDE with an 80GB SATA and it did not work. I used dd and everything was fine. I would recommend trying again with this method.
mad616
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Trying to install on older machine with amd k6 processor Reply with quote

I a post that talks about the K6 restarting when you try to boot from the livecd...I am having the same problem, is there a solution,

Thanks

Mark
mad616
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Trying to install on older machine with amd k6 processor Reply with quote

I read post that talks about the K6 restarting when you try to boot from the livecd...I am having the same problem, is there a solution,

Thanks

Mark
Caeberos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying to copy the old hard disk using dd isn't really an option anymore, as the disk is being used elsewhere and all the data is gone, I guess I am going to start from scratch... thanks anyway guys

-Cae
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to install on older machine with amd k6 processor Reply with quote

mad616 wrote:
I read post that talks about the K6 restarting when you try to boot from the livecd...

Since the K6 series of CPUs is only i586 compatible, make sure you are not trying to boot from an i686 CD. Use the x86 one instead.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: