copy individual packages to another computer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: copy individual packages to another computer Reply with quote

Is it possible to copy part of an installation to another computer. Both of them are K6-2 300. It should not be a complete cloning process of the harddisk (where I found threads discussing this issue) but should rather be more selective.

How would it be possible to transfer the basic system setup and some additional packages to another computer?
meekrob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: copying Reply with quote

The easiest way would be to connect them together on a lan and use the Gentoo install cd to boot the "new" system. Create your partitions und filesystems on the new system and then copy the files over from the "old" system, personally I would use the sftp or scp tools that come with ssh.

Change the network and hostname on the "new" system and you should have a working gentoo install.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you emerge with the -b option, tar.gz files are stored in /usr/portage/packages/All. You can put those on a CD.

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
ct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for these replies. I have two questions:

Can "emerge --buildpkg" create these tar packages after an ebuild compilation (withouth going through the compilation process again)?

When copying the files over to the other system - how can I identify the files that belong to those packages I would like to install?
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct wrote:

Can "emerge --buildpkg" create these tar packages after an ebuild compilation (withouth going through the compilation process again)?

When copying the files over to the other system - how can I identify the files that belong to those packages I would like to install?

Emerge can't do it, but it should be possible to write a shell script that will do it using the package database in /var/db/pkg. Just parse the CONTENTS file for the package and stick all the files listed into a tarball.
MathFreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct wrote:

Use the program quickpkg (I think that's the name) to do that. The command should be
Code:
quickpkg /var/db/pkg/<package name>
This will generate a tarball just like emerge -b. Then, just copy it over to the other machine and do a emerge package.tar.bz2
ct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, great. With

Code:

/usr/lib/portage/bin/quickpkg /var/db/pkg/net-www/mozilla-1.2.1-r5/

a 15 MB mozilla tbz2-file was produced. (Dillo did fit into a 240KB file ;-) ) .

For a couple of days I have to put this installation project on the side - then I will have to find out what are the basic install packages that are required to be transfered to the other computer (what packages are included in Gentoo's baselayout and the required system packages in order to set up a minimal system.)

Any hints for this are always welcome - but I have to say that I have not looked up any possibly ready available information yet.

While Gentoo seems to be a lot of work it is definitely worthwile going these extra steps for a Gentoo installation. Using a binary distribution (such as Mandrake) with this rather old computer (AMD K6-2) the response time for some Mozilla clicks get too long.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: