Amavisd/SpamAssassin problem [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjeldahl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Amavisd/SpamAssassin problem [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Problem was in libnet-1.20. Downgrade to 1.19 or see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amavis-user&m=117095734709511&w=2

I recently upgraded my email server with the latest set of packages. Since I do not do this too often, quite a few packages were upgraded. After restarting the mail services again I noticed something had broken incoming email handling.

If I send myself an email with nordic characters (æøåÆØÅ - from ISO8859-1) it gets re-encoded in the email body into UTF-8 when received by the mail system. Everything is (still) ok in the subject header.

I've tested this by sending emails from external accounts (gmail), and also verified locally by temporarily disabling the postfix "content_filter" setting (which allows the mail to go straight through). As soon as amavisd (and thereby SpamAssassin) is out of the loop, the email arrives as sent.

I've looked at the email headers as well; everything looks like it should:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I've tried downgrading amavisd and postfix selectively without any luck. I've also tried rebuilding perl without the "unicode" flag, but that doesn't seem to help either.

So, in short, it looks like when incoming email is piped through amavisd/SpamAssassin the body is encoded into utf8 (which I assume is the internal format used by SpamAssassin/perl), but somewhat suprisingly this is also what dovecot stores and feeds to my email client, even though the header says the content should be 8859-1.

Any experts out there who knows what's wrong?

Thanks,

Marius K.
FIy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

i had exactly the same problem and messed around with it for quite a while before being able to solving it with the help of your thread. probably it would be helpful to change the subject to a bit more meaningfull one, cause i had to search i while, as the actual subject is very general..

cheers and thanks

fiy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: