Need help Installing on G3 PPC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doolbneerg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Need help Installing on G3 PPC Reply with quote

I am new to Power PCs, and have been playing with Gentoo(on an x86 machine) on and off for about a year. I just got an old Mac G3 PowerPC, and it didn't have a Harddrive, Keybaord, Mouse, or Memory. I slapped some memory in it, and booted it up. I get a nifty little grey screen with a Disk at the center of the screen flashing a question mark. So I think everything works.

I need help on figuring out what the minimal I'll need to do to get Gentoo up and running on the machine. Is there any trick to boot off of a CD when there is a cleaned harddrive? A lot of what I have been seeing says I need to load a Bootx program from a Mac OS. Is there a way someone can give me an Image to put onto my harddrive to get me started? Dows anyone know if I will need to find a keyboard before I can do anything, or should I be able to just use SSH to remote in and do everything from there?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you identify what kind of G3 this is? Is it a new world machine or an old world machine?
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-faq.xml#powerpc
Gustav IV
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

(How old is old?)

I don't know what info about BootX you've been reading, but if its a new world machine running ybin or mkofboot will break the Open Firmware path's device tree to where BootX is located, (system/library/CoreService or something like that) and only use the bootstrapped partition where the Linux bootloader exists.

If you install OSX after installing Gentoo, or you update OSX at some point later, Open Firmware will reestablish the broken path to boot up OSX right from the beginning of the start-up process: Open Firmware -> Mach kernel boot -> OSX. Which will mean that to boot Gentoo, or any other image, you will have to hold the option key down at start-up and select the image from the screen.

Hope this helps. (if its a new world machine).

Sincerely

Gustav IV
panyo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Need help Installing on G3 PPC Reply with quote

doolbneerg wrote:

I need help on figuring out what the minimal I'll need to do to get Gentoo up and running on the machine. Is there any trick to boot off of a CD when there is a cleaned harddrive? A lot of what I have been seeing says I need to load a Bootx program from a Mac OS. Is there a way someone can give me an Image to put onto my harddrive to get me started?

I am assuming you have an oldworld (beige) machine. If you have a new world machine (blue and white) then just boot from the Gentoo install CD.
Apple gives out system 7
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.0.x/
But, if you have a G3 it looks like you are out of luck:
http://main.system7today.com/hardwareguide.html
However, the old linuxPowerPC 2000 docs say all you need is to boot once to bless the fake system folder that was installed by the
linuxPowerPC install CD (if you can find one of those)
You need a system 8 or better system disk. Once you have that, you can strip the system down to system, finder, maybe some enablers,
the appearance control panel and the startup disk control panel. About 40M is enough for that and your kernel.
jerryn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: here's a tip on how to boot most systems need this Reply with quote

Apple Powermac g3 and g4 system need this at the open firmware prompt type
boot cd:,\\yaboot

or your cd will not boot, yaboot will load but it will say that no valid partition was found.
I battled with that for 15 minutes until I decided to get into open firmware and play.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's listed in the FAQ:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-faq.xml#bwof

I don't actually have one of these machines, so if you have a better description of the error message, I can make the FAQ question more clear.
michrech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Unless I'm missing something... Reply with quote

Sorry I'm late to this, however, I have a Blue and White G3 and all I did to make it boot from a CD (in my case, the gentoo ppc install cd) was hold C while powering on the system.

Then I followed the install document as needed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: