2.6.20-viper2: Do What Now?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: 2.6.20-viper2: Do What Now? Reply with quote

Viper Sources is pretty much my playground for new patches.

The main goal of this patchset is pretty much to offer the latest features, decrease latencies, decrease overhead, and improve interactivity. The only difference is experimental versions of everything. I boot test each release and run for an extended amount of time.

/* Notes */
02/14/2007
Updated Suspend2, and Linux-PHC. Added thinkpad patches, and sorry no hdaps-protect this time around, ran into some compile issues that I don't want to even attempt to fix relating to libata-core.c. Added Reiser4 and Unionfs 2.0. Also added syslets to play around with.

Information on "Syslets":
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/syslet-patches/async-ANNOUNCE.txt

02/07/2007
Been a while since I've made a release, but since Con Kolivas decided to release a brand new cpu scheduler called RSDL (Rotating Staircase Deadline Scheduler).

http://bhhdoa.org.au/pipermail/ck/2007-February/006612.html

Example of Viper Tunables:
Code:
Viper Tunables --->
(6) Minimum Round Robin Timeslice (in milliseconds)
(19) Factor For Default Value
(66) Percentage RAM Filled With Mapped Pages
(1) Hard Mapped Limit
(1) Tail Large Files

2.6.20-viper2: Do What Now?
Code:
/* Patch List */
sched-rsdl-0.16.patch
adaptive-readahead-2.6.20.patch
ck-desktop-rollup-2.6.20.patch
genpatches-rollup-2.6.20.patch
suspend2-2.2.9.7-for-2.6.20.patch
sched-rsdl-deadline-tunables-1.patch
rcu-preempt-rollup-2.6.20.patch
linux-phc-0.2.9-for-2.6.20.patch
reiser4-2.6.20.patch
unionfs-2.0-for-2.6.20.patch
thinkpad-for-2.6.20.patch
syslets-2.6.20.patch
daconfig-2.3.1-2.6.20.patch
viper-version.patch

Enjoy!

Patch:
http://vipernicus.evolution-mission.org/files/patches/2.6.20/viper2/linux-2.6.20-viper2.bz2

Ebuild:
http://vipernicus.evolution-mission.org/files/patches/2.6.20/viper2/viper-sources-2.6.20-r2.ebuild

Broken-Out:
http://vipernicus.evolution-mission.org/files/patches/2.6.20/viper2/linux-2.6.20-viper2-broken-out.tar.bz2

Broken-Out (Directory):
http://vipernicus.evolution-mission.org/files/patches/2.6.20/viper2/broken-out/

Making it work:

Ebuild Method:
Code:
mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/viper-sources/files
cd /usr/local/portage/sys-kernel/viper-sources/
wget http://vipernicus.evolution-mission.org/files/patches/2.6.20/viper2/viper-sources-2.6.20-r2.ebuild
ebuild viper-sources-2.6.20-r2.ebuild digest
USE="symlink" emerge viper-sources
cd /usr/src/linux
make MENUCONFIG_COLOR=blackbg menuconfig

Manual Method:
Code:
cd /usr/src
rm linux
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.20.tar.bz2
tar -xvjf linux-2.6.20.tar.bz2
mv linux-2.6.20 linux-2.6.20-viper2
ln -s linux-2.6.20-viper2 linux
cd linux
wget http://vipernicus.evolution-mission.org/files/patches/2.6.20/viper2/linux-2.6.20-viper2.bz2
bzcat linux-2.6.20-viper2.bz2 | patch -p1

Applying Hotfixes:
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
wget http://vipernicus.evolution-mission.org/files/patches/2.6.20/viperX/broken-out/{hotfix1-name}.patch
patch -p1 < ./{hotfix1-name}.patch
wget http://vipernicus.evolution-mission.org/files/patches/2.6.20/viperX/broken-out/{hotfix2-name}.patch
patch -p1 < ./{hotfix2-name}.patch
make clean
make && make modules_install && make install

mbar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah :) i'm right onto it
tsuehpsyde
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to try this revision....hopefully soon.
pent0z
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't build here

Code:

CC      arch/x86_64/kernel/setup.o
  LD      arch/x86_64/kernel/built-in.o
  GZIP    kernel/config_data.gz
  IKCFG   kernel/config_data.h
  CC      kernel/configs.o
  LD      kernel/built-in.o
  CC [M]  drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.o
drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.c:83: warning: type defaults to 'int' in declaration of 'DECLARE_MUTEX'
drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.c:83: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.c: In function 'thinkpad_ec_lock':
drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.c:94: warning: implicit declaration of function 'down_interruptible'
drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.c:94: error: 'thinkpad_ec_mutex' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.c:94: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.c:94: error: for each function it appears in.)
drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.c: In function 'thinkpad_ec_try_lock':
drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.c:109: warning: implicit declaration of function 'down_trylock'
drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.c:109: error: 'thinkpad_ec_mutex' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.c: In function 'thinkpad_ec_unlock':
drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.c:122: warning: implicit declaration of function 'up'
drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.c:122: error: 'thinkpad_ec_mutex' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [drivers/firmware/thinkpad_ec.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [drivers/firmware] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2

note that in Firmware Drivers section i have nothing checked and that the previous release builds...
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks vipernicus, gonna try it out soon

brb with some info if it fails (hopefully it doesn't *fingers crossed*)

Update:

I get those error messages / warnings with almost 2.6.20* release, any idea to what they are related to ?

Quote:
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:boot_params from .text between '_text' (at offset 0xc0100029) and 'checkCPUtype'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:boot_params from .text between '_text' (at offset 0xc0100037) and 'checkCPUtype'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:init_pg_tables_end from .text between '_text' (at offset 0xc0100099) and 'checkCPUtype'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc01000c8) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc01000d2) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc01000f1) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc0100102) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc0100108) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc010010e) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc0100114) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc010012a) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc0100134) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc010013d) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc0100143) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'check_x87' (at offset 0xc01001a7) and 'setup_pda'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'check_x87' (at offset 0xc01001c6) and 'setup_pda'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:start_kernel from .text between 'is386' (at offset 0xc01001a1) and 'check_x87'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:spawn_ksoftirqd from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc0100357) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:sched_init_smp from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc010035c) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:usermodehelper_init from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc0100366) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:driver_init from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc010036b) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:sysctl_init from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc0100370) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data: from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc0100385) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data: from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc01003c3) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:prepare_namespace from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc0100486) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:root_device_name from .text between 'suspend_file_read_header_init' (at offset 0xc013caa3) and 'suspend_file_write_header_cleanup'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem_node from .text between 'sparse_init' (at offset 0xc015bf19) and '__section_nr'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:initkmem_list3 from .text between 'set_up_list3s' (at offset 0xc015f005) and 's_stop'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem from .text between 'vgacon_startup' (at offset 0xc032a851) and 'vgacon_scrolldelta'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:logo_linux_mono from .text between 'fb_find_logo' (at offset 0xc0330eea) and 'backlight_class_release'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:logo_linux_clut224 from .text between 'fb_find_logo' (at offset 0xc0330ef4) and 'backlight_class_release'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:logo_linux_vga16 from .text between 'fb_find_logo' (at offset 0xc0330ef9) and 'backlight_class_release'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'iret_exc' (at offset 0xc04b628e) and '_etext'

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D

Last edited by kernelOfTruth on Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
RobertDavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compile fine.

Since RSDL 15th is problem with squashfs (some kernel panic during mounting my portage tree at boot) so I decided to stop using portage on squashfs for a while. Maybe anyone can try that by mounting some squashfs to find the problem.

Than I had freeze during initialising of qingy, maybe directfb incompatibility (work ok with viper1 RSDL 14) so Im now recompiling directfb and try that.

Else looks like working ok,, Does anyone have problem with network with viper1? I felt that my net just get unreachable very oftern, (I can not even connect to router sometimes) Maybe router problem, but it became significant during viper1 usage. So I will test if it will happen in viper2...

EDIT 1: so qingy doesnt work even after directfb recompile (it just freeze after all the booting console output cleans, no errors)

EDIT 2: net socket problems still alive (fro example I canot send this reply now)
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
Thanks vipernicus, gonna try it out soon

brb with some info if it fails (hopefully it doesn't *fingers crossed*)

Update:

I get those error messages / warnings with almost 2.6.20* release, any idea to what they are related to ?

Quote:
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:boot_params from .text between '_text' (at offset 0xc0100029) and 'checkCPUtype'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:boot_params from .text between '_text' (at offset 0xc0100037) and 'checkCPUtype'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:init_pg_tables_end from .text between '_text' (at offset 0xc0100099) and 'checkCPUtype'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc01000c8) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc01000d2) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc01000f1) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc0100102) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc0100108) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc010010e) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc0100114) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc010012a) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc0100134) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc010013d) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'checkCPUtype' (at offset 0xc0100143) and 'is486'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'check_x87' (at offset 0xc01001a7) and 'setup_pda'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:new_cpu_data from .text between 'check_x87' (at offset 0xc01001c6) and 'setup_pda'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:start_kernel from .text between 'is386' (at offset 0xc01001a1) and 'check_x87'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:spawn_ksoftirqd from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc0100357) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:sched_init_smp from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc010035c) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:usermodehelper_init from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc0100366) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:driver_init from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc010036b) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:sysctl_init from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc0100370) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data: from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc0100385) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data: from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc01003c3) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:prepare_namespace from .text between 'init' (at offset 0xc0100486) and 'rest_init'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:root_device_name from .text between 'suspend_file_read_header_init' (at offset 0xc013caa3) and 'suspend_file_write_header_cleanup'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem_node from .text between 'sparse_init' (at offset 0xc015bf19) and '__section_nr'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:initkmem_list3 from .text between 'set_up_list3s' (at offset 0xc015f005) and 's_stop'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem from .text between 'vgacon_startup' (at offset 0xc032a851) and 'vgacon_scrolldelta'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:logo_linux_mono from .text between 'fb_find_logo' (at offset 0xc0330eea) and 'backlight_class_release'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:logo_linux_clut224 from .text between 'fb_find_logo' (at offset 0xc0330ef4) and 'backlight_class_release'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:logo_linux_vga16 from .text between 'fb_find_logo' (at offset 0xc0330ef9) and 'backlight_class_release'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'iret_exc' (at offset 0xc04b628e) and '_etext'

make clean; make mrproper; make oldconfig; make;

and then tell me if you get those errors.
jmajor1111
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Thinkpad t60p Reply with quote

This in on a Thinkpad T60p 2500 2.0ghz, 2gb ram and 100gb HD. with an ATI 256mb video, Verizon Cell, IPW3945 and 15 in monitor

Well, the kernel built just fine and here's what works:
Suspend to ram
Suspend to disk
Boot time is back down to less than 3 minutes :D
ACPI bay ejecting... :D ( bout time that worked)

What does not work:
XDM (wft? I say!)
Xorg freezes for no reason (no XGL or AIGLX)

Now I personally think I did something on this since it has worked on all kernels I've tested just fine and might be due to the fact I can't emerge the latest ATI drivers. Either way I'll repost when its fixed. :oops:

Other than that, NICE!
_sys/sid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Seems working here, Reiser 4 and all the I/O system seems more responsive than .19
Great Work!

Code:

oz@hashley [~] $ uname -a
Linux hashley 2.6.20-viper2 #1 SMP Wed Feb 14 21:29:03 CET 2007 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Code:

oz@hashley [~] $ mount
/dev/hda7 on / type reiser4 (rw,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec)
/dev/hda6 on /home type reiser4 (rw,noatime)
/dev/hda8 on /var type reiser4 (rw,noatime)
/dev/hda9 on /usr/portage type reiser4 (rw,noatime)
/dev/hda10 on /mnt/data type reiserfs (rw,noatime)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinkpad t60p Reply with quote

jmajor1111 wrote:
This in on a Thinkpad T60p 2500 2.0ghz, 2gb ram and 100gb HD. with an ATI 256mb video, Verizon Cell, IPW3945 and 15 in monitor

Well, the kernel built just fine and here's what works:
Suspend to ram
Suspend to disk
Boot time is back down to less than 3 minutes :D
ACPI bay ejecting... :D ( bout time that worked)

What does not work:
XDM (wft? I say!)
Xorg freezes for no reason (no XGL or AIGLX)

Now I personally think I did something on this since it has worked on all kernels I've tested just fine and might be due to the fact I can't emerge the latest ATI drivers. Either way I'll repost when its fixed. :oops:

Other than that, NICE!

Check out nicus, use nicksched with base_timeslice of 64. It also has the thinkpad patches.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still happens, but thanks:
Quote:

jmajor1111
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinkpad t60p Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:

Check out nicus, use nicksched with base_timeslice of 64. It also has the thinkpad patches.

Doing that now :)

and the WTF was for me, not you... just in case you were thinking that :oops: I think this happened to me when I had the beyond3pre sources and upgraded xorg, so I guess we'll find out.

I'll post my updates in the other posting.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
still happens, but thanks:
Quote:

Try Relocatable=no
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
Try Relocatable=no

hey!

that did it, thanks,

guess these errors are a new feature of .20 :roll: :wink:

update:
it just hardlocked on save of a file with openoffice 2.1, so BEWARE !

update2:
just hardlocked again with a kernel with removed syslets, when closing firefox, so rsdl 0.16 seems to be the bad guy, I'm reverting to viper1 with syslets ...

update3:
ok, my fault: I guess it was the newer beryl-version

update4:
after at least 10 lockups I found out that it has to do something with syslets or new rsdl 0.16, viper1 with 0.15 rsdl patch working fine & stable here so far ...

0xD34DF00D
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiled fine, but I have following trouble: when I start Xgl with KDE and lots of other apps, everything works just fine. But when I'm trying to start Azureus, it just freezes. /var/log/messages shows nothing. But everything works fine with 2.6.20-nicus1 or 2.6.18-no2.

And both on nicus1 and viper2 keyboard leds aren't working at all, while no2 works fine again. Keyboard is MS Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, connected through USB.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can confirm working suspend?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: