Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
MS-DOS install of 2006.1 LiveCD. (Edited info) Please help.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myelin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: MS-DOS install of 2006.1 LiveCD. (Edited info) Please help. Reply with quote

Hello guys.

I am having problems starting the installer of Gentoo 2006.1 LiveCD from MS-DOS. I copied the Image.squashfs and isolinux directory files and empty livecd file onto c:\boot. In MS-DOS i type:

Code:
c:\loadlin isolinux/gentoo root=/dev/hda1 init=/linuxrc loop=/image.squashfs initrd=isolinux/gentoo.igz

menu.1st entry:

Code:
title Gentoo 2006.1
kernel   (hd0,0)/boot/gentoo root=/dev/hda5 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs  cdroot=/dev/hda5 vga=791 splash=silent,theme:livecd-2006.1 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 quiet
initrd /boot/gentoo.igz

and it loads upto the modules portion, and then gives an error:

Quote:
The root block device is not specified or not detected, please specify a device to boot or go into shell.

After this message i type
Code:
#/dev/hda5
and it successfully mounts to /newroot, any other hda1 or hda2 or 3 does not succeed in mounting.
but it still gives information
Quote:
mounting /newroot/ no such filename or directory.

After this i get an error kernal panic

Quote:
Booting(initramfs).umount : could'nt umount /sys: invalid argument
chroot: cannot execute (bin/sh: no such file or directory)
kernel panic - not syncing: attempted to kill init

The error message is same with Grub.

I am using instructions from this webpage: http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html

My operating system is Windows98SE and i have never installed any Linux distribution on my computer. I ran QEMU and VMware player of this CD but they are slow and they are unable to start x system so no preview...My CD-ROM is unable to boot LiveCD, because my friend did not burned it in Raw mode.

Please help. Thanks.
cchildress
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to dual-boot, or simply install Gentoo linux onto your computer and replace Win98 entirely?

If this is going to be a fresh install of linux (ie you're not keeping windows), then I would strongly suggest downloading the minimal install CD (available from the mirrors link on the main gentoo page), and following the Gentoo manual for installation (available at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml). Welcome to GNU/linux! It takes some adjustment to get used to things but I think you'll enjoy it.

Above all else, try to boot from the installation CD, rather than running the process from DOS. That should simplify matters. If your computers motherboard doesn't support booting from CD-ROM, and there is no firmware update that would add that, then there are alternative installation methods (such as booting from a floppy and then continuing from CD) available on the gentoo wiki (http://gentoo-wiki.com). If you truly are unable to use *any* removable media for installation, then I'm afraid I don't have any experience with that and can't offer any good suggestions except to try the instlux project at http://sourceforge.net/projects/instlux. The author of the howto you read suggests that as a way to automate many of the manual steps in his howto. Good luck.

Edit: on the howto you referenced I found this info:

http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html#gentoo

Did you already see that part?
Myelin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be dual booting using grub, i have 2 partitions one for Linux(Primary) and one for Windows(Extended).

I do not have braodband so cannot download the source code. :(

The installation CD was not burned in Raw mode, so it does not boot. :( Next CD will take some time to arrive in my country. :(

Question: 1. Will the Debian floopy disks mount an iso and start an installation from it?

2. or can it read the image.squashfs file and start the installation from there?

I am following everything written at this ( http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html#gentoo page ), but its for .2005 and there seems to be some changes in 2006.1 version.

The very first error it gives is
Quote:
Could not find CD to boot, something else needed

i did not mentioned it above because its on IDE hard disk and certainly no /init delays is required to fix it, and also its ignorable as it moves on forward and its also documented in the webpage as ignorable:
Quote:
Type Ctrl-D to ignore the fsck /dev/BOOT failure (it seems the installer is trying here to check the filesystem of the missing install CD)

I am unable to figure out this line in the webpage: http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html#gentoo

Quote:
The mirror directory of interest is now called installcd instead of livecd.
What does this mean?
cchildress
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for you; broadband is a luxury for many.

Would you also tell us about your computer? How much RAM does it have? Hard drive space? And what kind of processor is in it

Yes, the debian boot disks will give you a great environment from which to install Gentoo. I would still suggest following the Gentoo Handbook or the Gentoo Wiki over the howto that you found, as it is out of date (you have noticed this much). However, as you do not have broadband, I have some reservations about suggesting Gentoo as a distribution for you. Gentoo requires *many* downloads, and some of them are very large. This is of course possible with a slow connection, but it can be very frustrating and requires patience. This is especially true for the first install. It is possible to install binary packages for Gentoo, but you will not get the whole Gentoo experience doing that. Perhaps, a different distribution would be better for you for now. I might suggest Ubuntu. It is a very fine distribution, especially for newcomers. It does not require a fast internet connection for most tasks. It is also available for free; they will even mail you the discs at no charge. Ubuntu can be found at www.ubuntu.com

Good luck with everything
Myelin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you are right, the first reason i choose Gentoo was speed, but with prebuilt binaries the speed will not be there. I Guess i should start with the most easiest distribution. Its been 4 days since i am trying to find a way to install the iso through hard disk using Grub (chainloader and loadlin) and loadlin through MS-DOS all in vain. :(

Thanks for replying.
cchildress
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think that your efforts were in vain; we learn something from every mistake we make. Just start out with a distribution that uses binaries only. Although others here might debate the issue, Gentoo is not really about speed. The main goal of Gentoo is choice. That is the main reason for it being source code-based. You might also want to check out IRC for linux help (irc.freenode.org), and check out www.distrowatch.com for a rundown of the various distributions. There are lots to choose from! I suggested Ubuntu because it is Debian-based, easy to use, and they will mail you the install disc so that you don't have to download it. If you absolutely have to download your system, then I would suggest either finding someone with a faster connection (maybe a school or business near you?), or finding a smaller distribution such as Puppy Linux. Good luck in your efforts with linux.
Myelin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: