emerge segfault
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narusegawa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: emerge segfault Reply with quote

Last night I was emerging a LOT of stuff and had my second console set to tail -f /var/log/emerge/log

Just after it started donig mysql 5 I saw some segfault lines in. While the emerge carried on I'm a little concerned as to getting a segfault during an emerge. Is this serious?
WARNING: It is a violation of federal law to use me in a way inconsistent with my labelling. I am dangerous to humans and domestic animals. Please avoid contact with your eyes and clothing. I should be stored out of the reach of children.
AdmiralNemo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what was segfaulting, I suppose. I would guess that it was some sub-process launched by the mysql compile process, since the emerge continued, it couldn't have been something like gcc. If you can, figure out what process was actually segfaulting and let us know. Maybe there is a known issue that may have a resolution. Also, obviously, try using mysql when its compile is finished and see if you notice any loss of functionality. Perhaps it isn't serious at all, perhaps it is; we really need more information in order to diagnose.
Narusegawa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's also what I was asking. How can I go back and check what segfaulted when the emerge.log file is rather vague. It's also a shame it doesn't output the notes stuff either.

i.e. Please do this and that etc.

I left my machine to do the following overnight

Code:
emerge emul-linux-x86-sdl emul-linux-x86-java mysql apache php gdm gnome

I mean, does anyone sit and stare at their screen while emerging a large amount of stuff (180+)?
WARNING: It is a violation of federal law to use me in a way inconsistent with my labelling. I am dangerous to humans and domestic animals. Please avoid contact with your eyes and clothing. I should be stored out of the reach of children.
AdmiralNemo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I believe "Segmentation Fault" is printed to STDERR, so you could redirect STDERR to a file and then search through that when the emerge is finished. If it has already finished, I don't think that there is anything you can do to retrieve the message other than run emerge again.

Also, as far as outputting data, see make.conf.example as it describes different methods of logging emerge output like content, destination, method, etc.

Hope that helps.
overkll
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can log all installed packages via /etc/make.conf. You'll need a line specifying the log file location:
Code:
PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage

That's the default. Use whatever log dir suits your purposes.

Then you can sift through the output for the error.

I had a similar issue a couple of years ago with large compiles and random segfaults. It was a memory issue. My ram wasn't compatible with my motherboard. The memory test (forgot the command) would pass everytime. I checked the motherboard website - no help. Checked the RAM manufacturer's site - sure enough, not compatible. I returned the RAM and got the right ones. No problem ever since. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: