View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HishnGA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: CUPS Printing problem Reply with quote

Hello all. I am working on getting my Gentoo system cranked up. I did the emerge gimp-print-cups and it installed the latest cups plus the latest gimp-print cups. Then I went in with my web browser and setup the printer. But when I try to print from it I get the following error message "Unable to convert file 0 to printable format for job X". I have now removed and re-emerge it a second time with no change. I have removed ghostscript from my machine for now but that did not seem to change anything. Does any one have any good suggestions on other things to try? Thanks.
IntrinsiX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Exactly the same problem here. What this means is that CUPS doesn't know how to convert the format to something that the printer can read, so I checked to see if there is any information on the CUPS website.

This is what I found:
http://www.cups.org/software.html wrote:
CUPS 1.1.15 and higher no longer include the PostScript RIP filter, pstoraster, necessary for printing PostScript, PDF, text, or HP-GL/2 files to non-PostScript printers. You must also install a version of Ghostscript with the "cups" raster driver (gdevcups.c) to print to non-PostScript printers.

The CUPS distribution includes the necessary files to add to a standard Ghostscript source distribution, or you can download the current ESP Ghostscript distribution.

Possibly, the package maintainer didn't notice this. I'm going to try and replace CUPS 1.1.15 with 1.1.14, that should do the job until this is fixed...

Marten Klencke
HishnGA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: CUPS Printing Problem continue'd Reply with quote

Let me know how that works. I tried installing the latest version of EPS Ghostscript from the CUPS web site and that did not work. It can not find the relevant fonts. I will give what you are going to do a try and see how that works. Thanks.
IntrinsiX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: 1.1.14 Works! Reply with quote

Hi!

Well, 1.1.14 works perfectly :-)
I only had some trouble with unmerging 1.1.15, but I did that eventually by specifying the /var/db/pkg/net-print/cups-1.1.15.ebuild file manually.

Marten Klencke
HishnGA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you email me specifically the steps you took? I installed CUPS 1.1.14, the latest GIMP-PRINT-CUPS, and the latest GHOSTSCRIPT and I am still getting the same error. I may go back and unmerge all three and start over fresh. I am sure there is just a minor order or such step I am missing and hence the problem. Thanks.
HishnGA
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got it working. It tooking following packages as a unit:
CUPS-1.1.14-r4
GhostScript-6.5.3-r2
GIMP-PRINTING-CUPS-4.2.0-r1.

Now I can print from the gentoo box no problem. Now to my next problem. Getting samba to share the printers out. So far I can get it show them and such. But when I try to print it just seems to vanish. There are no log references on either CUPS or SAMBA that anyone sent a print job. Oh well, another mysetery to solve.
olennert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject: CUPS-printing via samba Reply with quote

You may have a different problem from mine, but here goes anyway:

I had a similar problem. It turned out that I was using the wrong print-command. In an earlier life (with Mandrake 7.2), I used lpr-cups to print, and since I basically copied my smb.conf to the gentoo box, I was still trying to print with lpr-cups.

I couldn't find anything about this in the logs, but in the end I changed my print command to cat %s > /some/file/some/where, and did an lpr-cups -Plp -o raw /some/file/some/where manually. Of course this failed, since there is no lpr-cups on my gentoo system. This made me see the light, and I changed the print-command to lpr -P %p %s. And now I can print via samba.
zigg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bug open for the CUPS 1.1.15 problem:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3848
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: