View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hansolocg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: kernel 2.6.19 + ati-drivers (fglrx) freezes Reply with quote

Hi,

after the latest update session kdm won't start correctly any more. The screen goes black and every few seconds the last screen that was displayed before starting X can be seen. The system does not respond any more. Any hints what the problem might be?

Info:
ati-drivers 8.33.6
kernel 2.6.19-r5
X 7.1

The complete same setup works fine with kernel 2.6.18 (just ati-drivers recompiled for the kernel-version) with 3d-support and everything. I tried turning of vesafb, but the problem remains.

Andreas
gerdesj
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: kernel 2.6.19 + ati-drivers (fglrx) freezes Reply with quote

hansolocg wrote:
Hi,

after the latest update session kdm won't start correctly any more. The screen goes black and every few seconds the last screen that was displayed before starting X can be seen. The system does not respond any more. Any hints what the problem might be?

Info:
ati-drivers 8.33.6
kernel 2.6.19-r5
X 7.1

The complete same setup works fine with kernel 2.6.18 (just ati-drivers recompiled for the kernel-version) with 3d-support and everything. I tried turning of vesafb, but the problem remains.

Andreas

You don't mention your ATI card version but I have a 9700 Radeon Mobile in my laptop. I had no end of hassle with the fglrx thing. A couple of months ago I switched to the open source driver and what a relief! Could I recommend you at least try the OS drivers, if you can bin the closed fglrx driver it's another (very small) nail in closed source's coffin ...

I'll happily post details of my set up if you get stuck. Incidentally I'm running ~x86.

Cheers
Jon
hansolocg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ups, you're right, forgot to mention it's a X1600pro. And i could add that i also get a frozen system when i compile the ati-drivers against kernel 2.6.18 and boot with kernel 2.6.19 (leading to a fallback to software rendering on start of X, so its not the 3d-part of the driver).

Andreas
CloudBolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: kernel 2.6.19 + ati-drivers (fglrx) freezes Reply with quote

hansolocg wrote:
Hi,

Info:
ati-drivers 8.33.6
kernel 2.6.19-r5
X 7.1

Andreas

have you actually emerged ati-drivers áfter booting into the new kernel? because the ati-drivers need to be remerged every time you change kernel config and boot into a new kernel
DOS is a boot partition virus.
hansolocg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: kernel 2.6.19+evdev+X7.1 crashes [solved] Reply with quote

Ok, after having another look at the logfiles (at first i thought none were written before the crash) i found out what the problem was. Seems kernel 2.6.19's evdev driver has different rules for the assignment of the devices, so the mouse was suddenly on /dev/input/event0 instead of event2, so X tried to interpret my keyboard as mouse and for some reason this crashes it. So it had nothing to do with the ati-drivers after all (normally the best guess :).
I'll change the topic so people with similar problems will run into this.

BTW, is there another way to assign the mouse in a different way than using the device name? (usb product id or something like that)

Andreas
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: