gui network-less kernel install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infinitezero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: gui network-less kernel install Reply with quote

I currently have switch from SuSe (after years of use) to Debian and I am still not completely satisfied that I have found my distro of choice. I wanted to give Gentoo a go but had a few questions first.

I want to do the GUI install with the network-less kernel (for times sake) but came across the review below on distro watch. If I do go the network-less route is there something I need to do directly after the install is complete, such as emerge a different kernel.

http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/50/1/

"Conclusions and developer recommendations
Overall, Gentoo Linux 2006.1 is an improvement over 2006.0, but the graphical installation utility is still not production-ready. Your best bet is to download and print the installation guide in the Gentoo Handbook, download and create a minimal install CD, and follow the directions as they apply to you. At the end, you'll have a highly customized, properly working machine that you know inside and out because you configured it yourself. If you follow the live CD or live DVD and use the graphical installer, you're likely to be fixing post-install configuration problems for days or weeks, and you'll be greeted by a host of other problems when you try to install a newer kernel or anything that depends on the kernel source (like proprietary video drivers or VMware Workstation). People new to Gentoo are probably better served by completely forgetting that the installer even exists."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
iz
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People new to Gentoo are probably better served by completely forgetting that the installer even exists.

Yep, that's correct.
infinitezero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover,
I went the triditional route about 3-4 years ago (at my age you start to forget more than you know) and decided that it simply took too long. I wish I had that kind of time but I don't, is there something not quite right with the gui installer?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to do the GUI install with the network-less kernel (for times sake) but came across the review below on distro watch. If I do go the network-less route is there something I need to do directly after the install is complete, such as emerge a different kernel.

No disgrace, but above implies you are not proficient enough to use that GUI installer. It may work for you or it may not. You may spend more time trying to install it with installer than normal manual install takes and still end up with nothing. And if you succeed then you are likely to break your system during routine maintenance. OTOH, going thru manual install you'll know what you are doing and how to keep up your system.
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the GTK+ installer and select the network-less option the kernel that is installed will still handle network connections. What is skipped is the setup of user id and password that some network connections require. The istallation will still allow for setting up the ethernet interface. If you rebuild the kernel and used the GTK+ installer you should emerge the genkernel package and use genkernel to rebuild the kernel. Genkernel builds a kernel that performs like the one that was installed by the kernel ( i.e. the same bootstrap processing ). The only problems I've had with the GTK+ installer have been with formatting the disk. Out of 3 installations its performed differently on all 3. When you select the packages only select the the ones that are on the DVD.
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imho, a well written review, spot on except for the following statement:
review wrote:
(which offers a 100MB /boot partition -- too small if you want to use more than one kernel)

Forget the installer, grab a minimal CD and follow the handbook. An experienced user should expect to spend less than an hour between CD boot and newly installed Gentoo boot.
Of course, how much time is required after that depends on what you want to install and what system you have.
For instance, last time I tried, emerge gnome from a stock stage3 (i.e. X not yet installed) took about 8 hours on an AMD XP 2000.

hth
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't understand what is wrong with the livecd
if i use the GTK installer that is much less buggy than the ncurses one it should be okay?
and what should i change after the install to correct the wrong behaviour of gentoo?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: