View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bongosmoker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: [KDE, eye-candy] Question about icon clicking effect[solved] Reply with quote

Hey. I am fairly new to KDE and to Linux, this is the reason of my question. Apart from Gentoo I also have the Ubuntu installation on my laptop with Intel 915gml. On Ubuntu I installed KDE few days ago and I noticed that when I click on an icon it has a nice animation of a zoom and fade out (well, it's the best way I can describe it). Also, when going into the logout screen, it fades in a nice and smooth fashion. I would like to know if anyone tried to do such effects on the Gentoo's KDE? Or maybe they're Ubuntu-specific? I can provide small movies made with a camera in .mov format.

I have tried upgrading KDE with xcomposite USE flag enabled, but it only gave me the window translucency feature, which I don't really need anyway. Gentoo is running on the machine with Geforce FX 5200 and all the DRI and Composite stuff is enabled (Beryl works without problems, tho I don't use it). I really can't find any details about this feature (probably mostly because I don't even know where to search, of course tried google), but I like it and I would have it on my Gentoo box.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by bongosmoker on Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: [KDE, eye-candy] Question about icon clicking effect. Reply with quote

bongosmoker wrote:
Hey. I am fairly new to KDE and to Linux, this is the reason of my question. Apart from Gentoo I also have the Ubuntu installation on my laptop with Intel 915gml. On Ubuntu I installed KDE few days ago and I noticed that when I click on an icon it has a nice animation of a zoom and fade out (well, it's the best way I can describe it). Also, when going into the logout screen, it fades in a nice and smooth fashion. I would like to know if anyone tried to do such effects on the Gentoo's KDE? Or maybe they're Ubuntu-specific? I can provide small movies made with a camera in .mov format.

I have tried upgrading KDE with xcomposite USE flag enabled, but it only gave me the window translucency feature, which I don't really need anyway. Gentoo is running on the machine with Geforce FX 5200 and all the DRI and Composite stuff is enabled (Beryl works without problems, tho I don't use it). I really can't find any details about this feature (probably mostly because I don't even know where to search, of course tried google), but I like it and I would have it on my Gentoo box.

Thanks for any help.

About the shading, it is a patch for ksmserver, I can't remember if it has ever been integrated into the ksmserver ebuild for gentoo. But I think that the ksmserver ebuild in the xeffects overlay (manageable through layman, which is in portage) has that patch integrated. The kde ebuilds in xeffects also add the icon zooming, and some other things like the translucent coloured rubberband when mass-selecting icons. You need to enable the pertty use flag to activate those patches (not sure about the translucency one, since I don't use ksmserver nowadays).
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The icon zooming is probably this patch:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Icon+execute+feedback?content=52994
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All items you meantion are available (along with many other fixes, and enhancements) from the xeffects overlay.

If you use layman, add the xeffects overlay. Follow the guide on http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org or read up on it in the forums http://forums.gentoo-xeffects.org.

If you have questions, sign up to the forums there and ask away. There's also an IRC channel on freenode.net (#gentoo-xeffects) for discussing the overlay.

Cheers.
bongosmoker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, this is exactly what I was asking about. Now I'm going to do some portaging ;) Thanks a lot for every answer!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: