Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IvanMajhen wrote:
Could you please update layman.
It downloads 2.5 version and has digest mismatch.

wow, I really suck at updating the overlay lately...

Code:
Adding         eclass/skunk-sources-3.eclass
Sending        sys-kernel/skunk-sources/Manifest
Adding         sys-kernel/skunk-sources/skunk-sources-2.6.20-r26.ebuild
Transmitting file data ...
Committed revision 157.

rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
somebody had the blackberry charge patch in one of the kernels. can't remmember which

this is the link to the patch.

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg50921.html

that patch is already in -mm somewhere, probably in git-usb or some gregh patch.... anyway, the option you are looking for is in the usb section of the kernel config:
Code:
 < > USB BlackBerry recharge support

IvanMajhen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't get fbsplash to work with this kernel. It doesn't compile initramfs into kernel.
Kernel has size about 1.8Mb, and when fbsplash is in kernel then should be around 3MB.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IvanMajhen wrote:
Can't get fbsplash to work with this kernel. It doesn't compile initramfs into kernel.
Kernel has size about 1.8Mb, and when fbsplash is in kernel then should be around 3MB.

so are you saying you cant build as a module? because I can guarantee that it it working my machine (fbsplash that is), but I have it built into the kernel
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump... added splitsched (ingosched,staircase,rsdl.... no plugsched)
IvanMajhen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as module....
I have all in kernel. It just doesn't pick up /usr/src/linux/usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz.
I have done all like in previous kernel's but it just doesn't compile that file into kernel.
With other kernel's it always works. This is my script for generating fbsplash:
Code:
rm -iv /usr/src/linux/usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz
splash_geninitramfs -g /usr/src/linux/usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz -v -r 1024x768 gentoo-grey
touch /usr/src/linux/usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz

And linux symlink points to right place...
Size of kernel should be about 3MB with initramfs in it.
If kernel is recompiled after that script. it doesn't make new kernel image...
Only thing that is changed in config is adding tickless system, because it should save some battery life when idle.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IvanMajhen wrote:
Not as module....
I have all in kernel. It just doesn't pick up /usr/src/linux/usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz.
I have done all like in previous kernel's but it just doesn't compile that file into kernel.
With other kernel's it always works. This is my script for generating fbsplash:
Code:
rm -iv /usr/src/linux/usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz
splash_geninitramfs -g /usr/src/linux/usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz -v -r 1024x768 gentoo-grey
touch /usr/src/linux/usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz

And linux symlink points to right place...
Size of kernel should be about 3MB with initramfs in it.
If kernel is recompiled after that script. it doesn't make new kernel image...
Only thing that is changed in config is adding tickless system, because it should save some battery life when idle.

ok, i get what you are saying now.... im not sure if this is an -mm thing or not, maybe you could try pointing to the cpio file directly using:
Code:
()  Initramfs source file(s)
in the general setup section
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:

Kikaz.

For those using Staircase:
http://ck.wikia.com/wiki/SchedulingPolicies
Buddman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the following when trying to compile the kernel:

LD init/built-in.o
LD .tmp_vmlinux1
drivers/built-in.o: In function `ata_port_start':
: undefined reference to `devm_kmalloc'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

Appears to be an issue with the libata driver as I see the following during complie:

CC drivers/ata/libata-core.o
drivers/ata/libata-core.c: In function 'ata_port_start':
drivers/ata/libata-core.c:5627: warning: implicit declaration of function 'devm_kmalloc'
drivers/ata/libata-core.c:5627: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast

Any idea what this is?
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddman wrote:
I get the following when trying to compile the kernel:

LD init/built-in.o
LD .tmp_vmlinux1
drivers/built-in.o: In function `ata_port_start':
: undefined reference to `devm_kmalloc'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

Appears to be an issue with the libata driver as I see the following during complie:

CC drivers/ata/libata-core.o
drivers/ata/libata-core.c: In function 'ata_port_start':
drivers/ata/libata-core.c:5627: warning: implicit declaration of function 'devm_kmalloc'
drivers/ata/libata-core.c:5627: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast

Any idea what this is?

try and reverse this patch http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/IDE/patch-2.6.20-mm2-ac1.gz
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who thinks chicken is the best meat on the market?
Raw chicken is bad for you.
I don't eat my vegetables at dinner time!
Lost in android development land.

Last edited by cheater1034 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:

This is exactly what my already-existing patch does, it has been the exact same thing since i first released it in 2.6.17-no1. http://no.oldos.org/files/2.6.17-no1/

And it turns out that "splitsched" when you look at it closer, is practically identical code to my long-existing "NoSched" patch. I put a lot of work into that patch, created the reason behind it, did it in a way no one else did before...

and you didnt copy most of that idea from plugsched? and im pretty breaking out the cpu schedulers started in love-sources with nicksched back in 2.6.11-12
cheater1034 wrote:
and it really makes me upset to see someone take the exact same thing and rename it to something else (i would care no matter what patch it is as long as I created it, but I especially care about this because I base my patchset around this). This is basically an example of what happened here, imagine I took spock's fbsplash patch for gensplash, and say I changed the documentation and renamed the patch to "nosplash-2.6.20-no1.patch". This is the same thing that has happened here, and it's a real pity.......
well I ported splitsched to -mm myself... I didnt just change nosched to look like splitsched, I havent even looked at any nosched code, so you are complaining to the wrong person
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:

I ate some Chicken Sashimi today, rich with fresh ecoli! NO VEGETABLES!? You seriously need some vitamin K so that you don't become like a hulk or something.

Last edited by vipernicus on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:37 am; edited 2 times in total
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:

This is exactly what my already-existing patch does, it has been the exact same thing since i first released it in 2.6.17-no1. http://no.oldos.org/files/2.6.17-no1/

And it turns out that "splitsched" when you look at it closer, is practically identical code to my long-existing "NoSched" patch. I put a lot of work into that patch, created the reason behind it, did it in a way no one else did before... and it really makes me upset to see someone take the exact same thing and rename it to something else (i would care no matter what patch it is as long as I created it, but I especially care about this because I base my patchset around this). This is basically an example of what happened here, imagine I took spock's fbsplash patch for gensplash, and say I changed the documentation and renamed the patch to "nosplash-2.6.20-no1.patch". This is the same thing that has happened here, and it's a real pity.......

You know, it was originally my idea to split out the CPU schedulers in the way that both nosched AND splitsched do, you and joecool hacked together the defines and split out the files and I made it all build. After all, if you remember right, neither of you at the time had any idea how to make the files build conditionally (e.g. BLARG.c for CONFIG_BLARG and BLERG.c for CONFIG_BLERG), but I had some idea of it and I hacked it together. I ALSO remember making the Kconfig files and such, so please don't take all the damn credit for yourself, me and Joecool deserve some credit for the work we did.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
cheater1034 wrote:

I ate some Chicken Sashimi today, rich with fresh ecoli! NO VEGETABLES!? You seriously need some vitamin K so that you don't become like a hulk or something.

Bah, Chicken Sashimi is for rich people! Cut down on the vitamin A sun. We don't want you going blind.

btw, was teh chicken raw? Because dat is bad.

Last edited by cheater1034 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:39 am; edited 2 times in total
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
vipernicus wrote:
cheater1034 wrote:

Bah, Chicken Sashimi is for rich people! Cut down on the vitamin A sun. We don't want you going blind.

btw, was teh chicken raw? Because dat is bad.

Sashimi is raw chicken moon. And if I go blind I might turn out like Ben Affleck in Dare Devil.

Ok, I can understand chicken, but you at least eat the liver and gizzard raw, right? You'd be less of a man if you didn't. I eat fresh buffalo hearts, because i'm a level 34 warrior.

Last edited by vipernicus on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:40 am; edited 2 times in total
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater wrote:
NoSched was definitely 98% my idea, 90% my work - I actively pursued creating a patch of this nature It's a shame you only thank predatorfreak and joecool in viper4, who joecool had nothing to do with it (he'll admit that), and predatorfreak who just showed a young patcher at the time, a few things.

Newsflash: Predatorfreak will no longer contribute shit to no-sources because cheater-conrad has a huge ego and loves to claim that "98%" of nosched was HIS idea, despite the fact it was my idea originally.

You did do a large portion of the work involved in ifdefing and creating the individual files, but I glued all of that together and made it build. That's not 10% of the work, it's more like 15%, considering I could have done 100% of the work myself. I also take offense to the "young patcher" part, I was releasing patchsets since BEFORE you stepped in as maintainer -no, I had -dark going since about 2.6.10 if I remember right and I had been working on my own 2.4 patchset BEFORE I switched to 2.6, I've probably been maintaining patchsets since late 2003, either internally or otherwise. Now, I admit, I don't really know that much C, but I can ifdef shit and do basic hackery, which is all one needs to create nosched. It does not involve massive code changes, it's basic C-preprocessor, Makefile hacking and freaking Kconfig hacking.

Honestly, from now on I'm going to make my patches first, include them in -dark and then I can claim 100% credit for the production of the patch. I don't really care as much about "vipernicus-stole-nosched", but I want proper credit where it's due.

Also, Con has come up with the perfect name for this little feud, "The Patchset Wars".

To rmh: I'm sorry for adding to the derailing, we should move this to a "Vipernicus/predatorfreak/cheater feud" thread or IRC.

Edit: I suppose if this is a "patchset war", then I should bring out my nuclear missiles about now. NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED.

Last edited by predatorfreak on Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

predatorfreak wrote:
Also, Con has come up with the perfect name for this little feud, "The Patchset Wars".

rofl...
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump, added genetics back in.... genetic-ingosched works.... genetic-aio works....

EDIT: oh yeah, and plugsched is back in
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
cheater1034 wrote:
Atleast give some damn credit to the creators of the idea (me, predatorfreak, joecool) and some credit to the original creators (me, predatorfreak)

You didn't read the release notes did you? "I would like to thank Con Kolivas and William Lee Irwin III for the original concepts of the pluggable scheduler, and also Peter Williams for PlugSched. Let's also not forget, joecool, predatorfreak, and gang with nosched."

How about you mention all these names : (cheater-conrad, predatorfreak, joecool, and JasonF) then we can be at peace.

I never wanted this quarrel to arise, I'm going to stop caring about it. I hope, vipernicus, that we can talk as individuals on IRC or chat.
-----

I apologize to the gentoo community, moderators, all custom patchset users, joecool, predatorfreak, vipernicus, rmh3093, and anybody else who saw this. I apologize for my poor representation of the gentoo community, myself, no-sources, and kernel developers and patchers everywhere. I am solely responsible for this act as an individual, no one else should be looked down upon: vipernicus, rmh3093, predatorfreak. I am honestly sorry for conducting myself in this way. I feel I was seriously innapropriate and I plee for everyone's forgiveness.

I'm truly sorry, this should of never been brought up in this type of manner, and it should of been my responsibility to settle it in a much better way than I did.

*edit*
another thing, patchset maintaining is supposed to be fun, I totally took away that experience from you guys, and especially the users. It's very fun to compile several images and have 50 grub options to boot different kernels :-p It's part of the experience. I totally took away the fun though, this is no fun --- It makes the game no fun :\
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
How about you mention all these names : (cheater-conrad, predatorfreak, joecool, and JasonF) then we can be at peace.

Added.

cheater1034 wrote:
I never wanted this quarrel to arise, I'm going to stop caring about it. I hope, vipernicus, that we can talk as individuals on IRC or chat.

Definitely.

cheater1034 wrote:
another thing, patchset maintaining is supposed to be fun, I totally took away that experience from you guys, and especially the users. It's very fun to compile several images and have 50 grub options to boot different kernels :-p It's part of the experience. I totally took away the fun though, this is no fun --- It makes the game no fun :\

rm -rf /usr/src/memory-of-patchset-wars-2.6.20

Don't feel bad. Everyone gets pissed sometimes, especially about things they are passionate about.

Also, I'm sorry as well for my part in this arguement, we've derailed poor rmh's post.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
vipernicus wrote:
cheater1034 wrote:
Atleast give some damn credit to the creators of the idea (me, predatorfreak, joecool) and some credit to the original creators (me, predatorfreak)

You didn't read the release notes did you? "I would like to thank Con Kolivas and William Lee Irwin III for the original concepts of the pluggable scheduler, and also Peter Williams for PlugSched. Let's also not forget, joecool, predatorfreak, and gang with nosched."

-----

I apologize to the gentoo community, moderators, all custom patchset users, joecool, predatorfreak, vipernicus, rmh3093, and anybody else who saw this. I apologize for my poor representation of the gentoo community, myself, no-sources, and kernel developers and patchers everywhere. I am solely responsible for this act as an individual, no one else should be looked down upon: vipernicus, rmh3093, predatorfreak. I am honestly sorry for conducting myself in this way. I feel I was seriously innapropriate and I plee for everyone's forgiveness.

I'm truly sorry, this should of never been brought up in this type of manner, and it should of been my responsibility to settle it in a much better way than I did.

*edit*

virtual group hug is needed! :)
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
Bah, Chicken Sashimi is for rich people!

If that's true, then why can my broke self by it for like 3 cents per ounce?
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudes now get into some room and hug and kiss and .... till dawn.

that settles any wars now and to come.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
dudes now get into some room and hug and kiss and .... till dawn.

that settles any wars now and to come.

Keep your fantasies to yourself. :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: