kdm blocked
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: kdm blocked Reply with quote

Hi, This is my first time using Gentoo, and I'm very happy with it except for this one thing.

I installed KDE using "emerge kde" on my mom's spare computer with all my USE flags set up. Everything is working great. It performs much better than Kubuntu which I had before. But, since it's my mom's computer, I need a graphical login. Naturally I want to use kdm, and it wasn't installed when I emerged KDE.

When I "emerge --pretend kdm" I get a list of blocks like the following (there are more):
Code:
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kicker-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r3)
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/konqueror-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r3)

and then,
Code:
[blocks B     ] =kde-base/kdebase-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdepasswd-3.5.5, kde-base/kcontrol-3.5.5, kde-base/kdebase-data-3.5.5, kde-base/kdm-3.5.5-r1, kde-base/libkonq-3.5.5, kde-base/khelpcenter-3.5.5, kde-base/khotkeys-3.5.5, kde-base/kdesktop-3.5.5-r1, kde-base/kcheckpass-3.5.0, kde-base/kdialog-3.5.5, kde-base/kcminit-3.5.3, kde-base/konqueror-3.5.5, kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.5.5-r1, kde-base/kfind-3.5.5, kde-base/kicker-3.5.5, kde-base/kdesu-3.5.5)

The list of things to build are all on my system already, except for kdm, but each one has an 'N' indicating that it's a new installation.

My question: Can I just force emerge to build kdm without messing up the rest of my system? And if so, how (I'm a total newb)?

Rebuilding KDE is out of the question, since it's a 300MHz Celeron, and it took 6 days to build in the first place.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are mixing up the monolithic and split kde ebuilds. If you emerged kde, you should have kdm installed. Edit /etc/conf.d/xdm and set it to KDM, then run `rc-update add xdm default` to have kdm start automatically.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue has already been discussed in the topic "Blockers in KDE 3.4.1", where it was summarized by Headrush; and it is also covered in The KDE Configuration HOWTO.

Moved from Desktop Environments to Duplicate Threads.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: