Wait for 2007.0 or install now?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldbushie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Wait for 2007.0 or install now? Reply with quote

I noticed that there was a delay with the 2007.0 release; I'm not sure how long it will be before it is out. Should I just do a fresh install of 2006.1 and then upgrade in a couple weeks? I have no clue how easy/hard it is to upgrade Gentoo's core. I read up on the upgrading guide but the profile thing still confuses me, and I'm not sure how the profile gets applied or what order to do things (portage upgrade, profile upgrade, kernel upgrade?). Also, I was thinking of trying out reiser4 and/or ext4 and I don't know how stable they are or whether they will be included in 2007.0, and I don't know if they are accessible for reformatting a drive from scratch while booted on a CD.

Thanks for any clarifications!
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one reason to wait for a new Gentoo install disk and that is because the present one doesn't have support for a key piece of install hardware (and example would be the JMircon controller)

Gentoo is not like other distro's, if you can install with 2006.1 then install with 2006.1. It is just a liveCD to get to a working linux system (you can even install Gentoo from an Knoppix LiveCD, FC-liveCD, Ubuntu-LiveCD)

during the install you download everything off the net anyway

once the base system is installed you just emerge --sync && emerge world -uvDp to update it
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To change profiles, NeddySeagoon says (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3450407.html#3450407)
Quote:
You should update your system after you change the profile symbolic link.
Code:
emerge --sync
emerge world -uDNav
will show you whats going to be done and why.
and "the profile symbolic link" is changed by finding out what you have
Code:
eselect profile list
and selecting the new one by
Code:
eselect profile set <profile number>

You will have to weigh the inconvenience — and time spent — in "emerge world -uDNav" against the time and inconvenience of a new install.

From 2006.0 to 2006.1 there was the change to glibc-2.4 and gcc-4.1.1 which required
Code:
emerge -e system
emerge -e world
which took much less time when you only had the basic new install.

If 2007.0 requires sonething like this to sanitize the toolchain then a new install might take less time.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: