Win4Lin vs Virtualbox OSE observation and question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jseymour
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Win4Lin vs Virtualbox OSE observation and question Reply with quote

Although I use Linux 98% of the time, there are a few applications that I need to use windows for (as I have tried wine/cxoffice and cannot get them to work properly), so I have been looking into virtual alternatives. I have tested VMware Server, which is very good, but for some reason keeps coming up with permission problems. Next I saw win4lin which seems to have the ability to let you run the said applications windowed separately from the windows environment. After some initial problems I finally got it installed as well as the included kqemu module, but it seems very slow on my system.

Finally I tried one I never heard of before until I saw it in these forums, virtualbox. Virtualbox is very fast even before installing the addons that allow extra functionality (similar to vmware tools). So at least now I can run the few programs I need - a live help dotnet application for my website as well as adobe captivate for tutorial creation. My only regret is win4lin, so a question to any others that have used both is win4lin actually slower than virtualbox or am I missing something in its configuration?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused... what does the kqemu module (which is used by qemu) have to do with win4lin?

edit: And I liked virtualbox but I wanted to use exact audio copy through it only to find that virtualbox treats all cd devices as if they were data cd's.

2nd edit: Answered my question. win4lin uses qemu.
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use vmware.Your permission problems are almost certainly fixable.Check the forums here : http://www.vmware.com/community/index.jspa
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: