Wierd occurance
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leonglass
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Wierd occurance Reply with quote

The strangest thing has just happened on my pc. I booted up as usual and everything started ok. I started firefox and it couldn't find anything, just like dns was not working except that I know it was. I know it was working as other computers in the house were browsing fine. Firefox has been playing up a bit recently and randomly displays the described behaviour. I entered about:config to check disable ipv6 abd it was set to false. This has also happened occasionally and I have to set it back again. The same thing with disable-prefetch-next. No luck still no browsing. Reboot the machine as this has helped in the past and nothing except a single beep which I thought meant graphics card error. Taken computer to kitchen and dismantled to swap the graphics card with an old one I have and boots fine but no X but can browse with links. At this point I have a different network cable connecting to my router from the kitchen. So I think I have to replace my graphics card but put it back in the machine just to check and hey presto here I am posting in the forums.

What the hell is going on!!

Why did my graphics card temporarily die and why am I intermttently losing network connection. I have no idea about the graphics card but could I have a dodgy rj45 cable.

Any ideas people.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the cards have been improperly seated (enough for poor contact), then been reseated before the machine was tested in its present location?
leonglass
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definitely something like that. I have replaced the network cable just in case as it looked a bit dog eared but bottom line all is well at the moment. Even took the opportunity to put a spare hard drive in while I had the case apart.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: