Gentoo over Ubuntu
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Internets
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Gentoo over Ubuntu Reply with quote

Greetings there,

I have been a Linux desktop user, for 2 and a half years or so. I started with Mandrake, and then moved to Gentoo (where I learned many things about Linux etc.) and then to Debian and finally Ubuntu. I have been using Debian based distributions for more than a year and a half (with a small break to try Gentoo, between Ubuntu Dapper and Ubuntu Edgy), and I must say that I'm quite well put with that, at least, for the things I use my PC for everyday (listening to music, surfing the internets, using msn, irc, and photoshop throu VirtualBox.).
Well, today the thought of installing Gentoo, once again, crossed my mind, but I'm quite unsure. My last experience with Gentoo, was much easier than the ones when I first started using Linux, but I still had problems. From what I remember, at least, I couldn't get my ATI card to work (I tried to install Beryl, just to see the process and how hard it was.), X died without a reason once, and I immediatly uninstalled Gentoo, and installed the fresh newly released Edgy.

I'm not here to whine about these problems, I'm just wondering if you would recommend a distribution like Gentoo to a pure home user like me. And also, what does Gentoo has to offer that Ubuntu doesn't? I mean.. Ubuntu is getting popular, and imo, it doesn't fail in delivering quality. The community is HUEG (ubuntuforums are awesome), and the developing is active as hell. Also, it uses APT, a decent package manager, and I'm quite comfortable with that. From the people I have talked to, they told me about the kick-ass portage and the speed increase (funroll loops anyone?), and the latter doesn't really amaze me.
blu3bird
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Ubuntu has -funroll-loops also, but Gentoo has -funroll-all-loops. ;)

I use Gentoo cause it just does what I want it to do. :)
(APT never did, maybe i used it in a wrong way...)
phobos13013
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. Im pretty certain im what you would call a "home" user and i have been using Gentoo off and on again for the last two or three years also. I recently loaded it onto my new 64bit laptop and i love it and missed it. I think due to my past history with Gentoo, it was extremely simple to get off the ground. Sure not as simple as loading an Ubuntu install disk and clicking the button to a full install. I probably could do that too. But the aesthetic and the challenge of Gentoo is what draws me to it.

I dont think anyone here is going to beg for your association. If you have been familar with Gento for so long, you probably should know the advantages. A source-based, self-configured system with a highly noted package management system. If that is appealing to you, and you can be a little patient to diagnosis a few bugs that are inevitably going to pop up along the way then you will enjoy the benefits of Gentoo if you stick around long enough. If not, and you dont want to DIY yr Linux experience, you probably wont be happy. All that being said, i think everyone here would love to have you in the Gentoo community.

If not, keep it open source and good luck to ya!
leonglass
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blu3bird wrote:
Maybe Ubuntu has -funroll-loops also, but Gentoo has -funroll-all-loops. ;)

(APT never did, maybe i used it in a wrong way...)
++

I can never get apt to do things properly either. For example I always have to reset the dns address when I used synaptic. I am on Ubuntu right now actually I have installed it beside Gentoo on a spare hard drive. I have done this as I want to see what it is like these days because as you say it is getting very popular. I intend to install Beryl to see what that is like. So far, and I have only just installed it and rebooted a couple of times to check Gentoo is still there, it is so slow in comparison. Gentoo boots really nicely Ubuntu was quite slow. I just flew into a paddy as some damn notification thing jumped out at me telling me of updates, I only just finished installing it.

On the whole I like it and I do recommend it to people who are going to try Linux for the first time. Me My day to day computing needs are served just fine with Gentoo thanks.
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God don't get me started on Ubuntu. My friends know I use linux so whenever they have a problem with it they come to me and it's so !$^ing STUPID that it drives me nuts. 'sudo passwd' is not something that should be POSSIBLE on a sane system, let alone NECESSARY.
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blu3bird wrote:

++
Same here. It was the happiest day of my life when I first found Gentoo, it had all the features I was looking for. And from that day it has been my only OS on my main computer :) I have another computer which I try other distros on, but I still haven't found any that can be compared to Gentoo
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
pteppic
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geniux wrote:
blu3bird wrote:

++
Same here. It was the happiest day of my life when I first found Gentoo, it had all the features I was looking for. And from that day it has been my only OS on my main computer :) I have another computer which I try other distros on, but I still haven't found any that can be compared to Gentoo

++
I won't even give test distros their own partition now, they get some files in the vm dir and that's it. It's because Gentoo is what you make it, and you make it how you want, not how someone thinks you should want it. If by chance someone does make it the way you want, then you're in luck, if not I haven't come across anything easier to make 'yours'.
sageman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corona688 wrote:
God don't get me started on Ubuntu. My friends know I use linux so whenever they have a problem with it they come to me and it's so !$^ing STUPID that it drives me nuts. 'sudo passwd' is not something that should be POSSIBLE on a sane system, let alone NECESSARY.

Haha, that's nothing. With base ubuntu you can do 'sudo su' and just get straight root priviledges! Ridiculous.
didumos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sageman wrote:
Haha, that's nothing. With base ubuntu you can do 'sudo su' and just get straight root priviledges! Ridiculous.

I think you misunderstand: The default/first user you create when installing Ubuntu is the admin user, so easily getting a root prompt is a feature for this user. "Regular" users should then be created afterwards, and by default will not be able to 'sudo su' and screw up the system.

AFAIK the thinking behind this is that there is no user called root, so to break/get into an Ubuntu box you need to know the admin username AND password.
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didumos wrote:
sageman wrote:

I think you misunderstand: The default/first user you create when installing Ubuntu is the admin user, so easily getting a root prompt is a feature for this user. "Regular" users should then be created afterwards, and by default will not be able to 'sudo su' and screw up the system.

AFAIK the thinking behind this is that there is no user called root, so to break/get into an Ubuntu box you need to know the admin username AND password.

Just like MacOS, huh?
But the truth is, it's really not a question of knowing the username or not.
For one, a sanely configured SSH daemon on a sane system will _never_ let you log in as "root".
For two, once you're in as any user, it really doesn't matter what the admin account is called.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: