LiveCD GUI-Install Error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ace214
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: LiveCD GUI-Install Error Reply with quote

I keep getting errors on the building kernel phase of the install process.

I'm using the x86 version, installing to a SATA drive.

Here are is my install profile, log, and output.

My questions are thus:
1) Can I fix this specifically?
2) Should I try the manual install- if so is there an easy way to keep all the flags that I've already gone through?
3) I think there is a way to install using all the stuff on the CD? If I do this am I using outdated builds of stuff? And then if so, could I just update them once I get the system running?

Thanks for any help.
Deanje
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: LiveCD GUI-Install Error Reply with quote

Try the networkless option while installing, that solved my emerge error.
nikaya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend not using the GUI-Installer.One day he will be maybe usual.But not quite at the moment.
Make the manual install,its the only safe method at the moment:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

Quote:
If I do this am I using outdated builds of stuff? And then if so, could I just update them once I get the system running?

The install-cd's are about 6 months old,the new version will soon be released.The packages will be rather old.
Yes,you can update the packages.Therefore I do not recommend the networkless install.Install a minimal system which is working and than install new ones via internet.It gives you the latest available packages.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't use the GUI Installer, because if you do the manual way, you will understand what you are doing and it will be more useful for you in the future :)
Marlo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
Please don't use the GUI Installer, because if you do the manual way, you will understand what you are doing and it will be more useful for you in the future :)

Correctly! I have the same opinion.

But Sabayon is one of the most eye catching Gentoo version I've ever seen. Sabayon is a installable Live System based on and completely compatible with Gentoo.
Burn the ISO image and have fun with beryl!

Ma
robodeath
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ace214 If you've never used gentoo before, don't let your first experience of it be sabayon. Use the normal install method for gentoo, the gui installer is still a work in progress. As for the kernel portion of it, in the next release it will have a manual kernel config option.
shadeheim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I escape from the live cd GUI into the terminal to follow this install? When I logout of GNOME is just restarts.
nikaya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadeheim wrote:
How do I escape from the live cd GUI into the terminal to follow this install? When I logout of GNOME is just restarts.

Never used it,but i think you can do simply Ctrl-Alt-F1.
Alternatively you can start the livecd with the option "nox" or "gentoo nox",not sure.Search for it in the help-menu after booting the cd (F2 ff.)
shadeheim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that works but my next problem is that it says the Live CD doesn't have a stage. Now I would configure the network connection to download the tarball but the whole point of me choosing live rather than minimal was that my computer is upstairs and my wireless usb dongle is very hard to configure. Is there a CD that has packages like ndiswrapper and is x86? I looked for another CD but they seem to be for different computer types.
nikaya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try it with Knoppix.You don't need a Gentoo install cd,only one who is supporting the hardware and allowing you to handle the commands.
Many people are installing via Knoppix because it has a better hardware detection.Besides is a GUI included so you can play a game aside. :lol:
shadeheim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I install it from within my other distro Arch Linux where I already have my wireless working? I tried Knoppix and although it at least seems to be detecting interface wlan0 it looks like there is going to be a lot of messing round setting the wireless settings to the extent that it might just be easier to go and move my PC down the stairs for the day. I did manage to install my windows driver with ndiswrapper but I don't know the commands to get the device up as I'm used to editing config files and rebooting.
nikaya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadeheim wrote:
Could I install it from within my other distro Arch Linux where I already have my wireless working?

Yes,that's quite the best way imho.You can handle it like an install-cd,mounting/creating the necessary partitions and filesystems.
The essential point is the chroot into your new system after installing the stage tarball on your new Gentoo.

It is all described in the handbook:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: