Question about MythTV Frontends/Backends
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDaveyL
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Question about MythTV Frontends/Backends Reply with quote

I have a general question about MythTV frontends and backends...

Say if you have (additional) Firewire ports or a tv card in a frontend, can you use those to view TV or record as well as what's in the backend?
kf0yn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The backend is what does the capture. You would need to run a slave backend on the "frontend" with the firewire port or tv card.
BigDaveyL
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kf0yn wrote:
The backend is what does the capture. You would need to run a slave backend on the "frontend" with the firewire port or tv card.

So it sounds like all you do is configure MythTV on the slave to query the master database (on another box) and don't add a "Video Source" (aka DataDirect) since that will handled/queried/downloaded on the master.

I'm assuming that the hardware can be set-up independently.

Also, if you have 2 tuners on seperate boxes, will conflicts be resolved?

Reason I'm asking is I have an large ugly box that will be the backend because it has exta space for lots hard disks and optical drives. But I have room for it in the basement closet. And I may end up getting a nicer looking box that will fit nicely into my cabinet where my TV/Cable Box/Home Theatre system is. And I'd like to record programming off of the cable box at some point.
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigDaveyL wrote:

So it sounds like all you do is configure MythTV on the slave to query the master database (on another box) and don't add a "Video Source" (aka DataDirect) since that will handled/queried/downloaded on the master.

Yep- there's instructions in the myth-docs for non-master backends: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.3

The only other real difference, is that mythbackend always tries to connect to mysql through the local socket before it uses the IP address specified in mysql.txt, so you'll need to make sure that you're not running a mysql service on the non-master backend.

Quote:

Not completely sure what you mean, but the master backend will always need to be accessible if that's what you're getting at?

Quote:
Also, if you have 2 tuners on seperate boxes, will conflicts be resolved?

Yep- the master backend handles all of the scheduling, and takes into account the availability of each tuner, remote or local. So, if a remote backend isn't on, the master backend will assume all recording duties. If a backend tuner is busy watching 'Live' tv, the remote would take over recording duties. The docs also have some tips on setting up tuner priorities and order, see: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.13
BigDaveyL
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:

Not completely sure what you mean, but the master backend will always need to be accessible if that's what you're getting at?

Meant that I'd set up the tuner cards or firewire ports, just like if I was setting up a new master.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: