gentoo restore disk?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suicideducky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: gentoo restore disk? Reply with quote

ok well im a kind of... distro fiddler? (need better term, someone please come up with one :D)

in other words i keep fiddling and tweaking.... and to be honest, breaking. last year i prob had installed about 20-30 ish distros in the year, including of course reinstalling the same one from scratch so about 20 different distros and say 10 reinstalls id say. and now im fixed with gentoo (although i still have ubuntu on a diff partition)

basically what id like is to be able to insert a disk, boot into it, it gives a prompt asking if i want to continue, and then installs gentoo, with all the right drivers, xorg conf, alsa conf etc. and ends up coming out with a gentoo install (no graphical enviorment) at which point i can install whatever i like on top of it.

is this possible?

thanks again, Ducky
belrpr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that it is possible.
But how is something I like to know 2.
suicideducky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be great.
basically i would like a cd i can pop in, and it boots up to a minimal enviorment (similar to the minimal install CD) and at my command installs gentoo with the same xorg.conf, alsa conf, make.conf, etc.

and when finished is just like a fresh gentoo install plus my xorg, alsa, make.conf, etc.
and maybe could be build upon. but basically itself builds mostly.

so its kind off like a restore to minimal enviorment cd.

ive found these links on live cd's
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO#LiveCDs

i guess it would almost be like the autocd except with my settings and it would only be used for the same computer each time. and hopefully mostly self executing or something close.

so i can put the disk in, boot it, partitioning, mount my partition as /gentoo and /gentoo/boot etc and then type in a command which starts the restore to minimal enviorment process.

thanks again, Ducky
JeliJami
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look at Sabayon

it is based on Gentoo, and does a marvelous job at detecting hardware
it can easily be installed to the HD
suicideducky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davjel wrote:
take a look at Sabayon

it is based on Gentoo, and does a marvelous job at detecting hardware
it can easily be installed to the HD

ive had a look at sabayon in the past. but i prefer to stay with gentoo, and sabayon doesnt furfill my want to have a gentoo restore disk to reinstall my gentoo to a minimal state with my xorg conf, alsa conf, make.conf etc (all in my current gentoo) but with no graphical enviorment installed.

thanks anyway, Ducky
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habit to reinstall every time something is broken belongs to Ubuntu world. A Gentoo user is expected to fix it instead of reinstalling. However, you can do a fresh base install and take an image of it with partimage or dd.
thorpe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to take a look at building a custom stage4. I think there is an article on the subject posted on the wiki. From there, you could script your installation process.

All you would then need do is boot into the stage4 disk, run your script, chroot and continue with maybe another script.
vandien
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically you need to write two scripts, one that you run from the livecd directly that sets up the partitions (might be safer to do this manually), installs the stage3 tarball, copies your already customized config files and a barebone portage tree, and then chroots to a second script. The second script updates the system and emerges some other small packages (or even X if you want). Using binary packages I can re-install my system (634 packages at the moment) in only a few hours.

Anyways, in short, yes it's possible. Sometime soon I'm going to post the updated scripts I use for this. I have an old post, but it's out of date and I wouldn't recommend using those scripts anymore.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use the Stage 5 Backup here : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-534039.html
suicideducky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all for the replys.

Quote:
Habit to reinstall every time something is broken belongs to Ubuntu world. A Gentoo user is expected to fix it instead of reinstalling. However, you can do a fresh base install and take an image of it with partimage or dd.

i dont usually reinstall everytime something is broken i just constantly change my graphical enviorment (because my system is only 633mhz) and im still experimenting with what desktop manager etc i like to use so in stead of having to unmerge everything just to install it possibly again later id like the ability to reinstall a base gentoo system in a short period of time (might go with binary packages) so that i can just sync then update and have a fresh install with my xorg, alsa, make.conf settings etc.

whats the difference between a stage 4 and stage 5? and what are each of thse?

thanks again, Ducky
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stage 4 is from Blinkeye and it backup only the necessary files except the dev/null and /dev/console.

If you have a Gensplash, you have 1/2 chances do have error when you will reboot, because sometime the Stage 4 is not capable to backup properly the Gensplash.

The Stage 5 can backup an entire installation.So, if you have only the partition /, the Stage 5 will create a full backup of that partition and because of that, you will not have any problems with the gensplash.

You can backup one partition at the time or you can backup an entire disk with separate partition.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Other Things Gentoo.
Not about getting gentoo installed, so moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
suicideducky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
Stage 4 is from Blinkeye and it backup only the necessary files except the dev/null and /dev/console.

If you have a Gensplash, you have 1/2 chances do have error when you will reboot, because sometime the Stage 4 is not capable to backup properly the Gensplash.

The Stage 5 can backup an entire installation.So, if you have only the partition /, the Stage 5 will create a full backup of that partition and because of that, you will not have any problems with the gensplash.

You can backup one partition at the time or you can backup an entire disk with separate partition.

ok then thanks.

Quote:

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Other Things Gentoo.
Not about getting gentoo installed, so moved here.

ok sorry about placing it in the wrong forums and all :roll:

ill prob have a look at the stage five thing.

but what has really sparked my interest is the binary packages.
heres what i plan to do (hopefully :D) somehow make a minimal install cd that includes binary packages(build to my make.conf) of all the programs i want and then have some kind of script on there that excecutes on command (after i do all the partitioning etc) and just carries out the install, well hopefully anyway.

any suggestions on how to accomplish this are greatly appreachiated :D
thanks again, Ducky
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: