View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently installed a new system running / on reiser4 with cryptcompress (lzo) using my self made sirdilznix LiveCD. Everything went smooth;y and I'm pretty proud of myself (having angband on the LiveCD was a nice touch, I thought :wink: ). So far I'm really happy with the new system. The speed is awesome (though I have to take that with a grain of salt since this is on my new SATA II HD as opposed to a SATA 1 before). The compression is significant, though it isn't going to blow my socks off or anything. If I understand correctly, the lzo compression should be a bit faster while the gzip1 compression should make for a slightly more compressed system. Now I know I'm crazy for trying this on / . On top of that I'm running binutils-2.17.50.0.14 with hashstyles and gcc-4.2.0_pre20070316 all on mm-sources-2.6.21-rc5-mm4 :P . However there is really little to no risk to me here since I put this on a completely different partition (and actually a completely different physical drive) and left my old system intact. This way even if my new system blows up, I can just boot back into my old one, and beyond that I have my important data stored on dvds too. I may be crazy, but I take precautions and plan for the worst. If my system goes up in flames you sure won't see me crying and making a "I tried all this experimental stuff and my system blew up, damn you all" type post. I know damn well what I'm getting myself into.

It feels good to be back on the bleeding edge. In fact there was actually blood in my case... litellarly , since I cut myself putting in the SATA II controller :lol:
MrVahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think reiser4 is not good for my system.

AthlonXP 2GHZ
384MB ram
ATA HDD using LVM2

When I emerge something, especially something big, my system occasionally hangs. This forces me to press the reset button as nothing else could be done. I often have segmentation errors while compiling, recursive errors too. I can't find a solution but after I turn off my PC and try emerging again it would work fine. I guess it is true that reiser4 eats too much CPU power.
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrVahn wrote:

AthlonXP 2GHZ
384MB ram
ATA HDD using LVM2

When I emerge something, especially something big, my system occasionally hangs. This forces me to press the reset button as nothing else could be done. I often have segmentation errors while compiling, recursive errors too. I can't find a solution but after I turn off my PC and try emerging again it would work fine. I guess it is true that reiser4 eats too much CPU power.

Segfaults are generally a sign that the application is doing something wrong or that your memory is bad (or both!), so that may be something to look into. I'd run memtest86+, then if that turned up nothing do a CPU-battery-test (Also known as loop something CPU intensive for 24 hours). If neither shows/causes any problems, I'd go with reiser4 being the cause then.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrVahn wrote:

AthlonXP 2GHZ
384MB ram
ATA HDD using LVM2

which kernel are you using & which reiser4progs ?

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
MrVahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im using a patched up gentoo-sources and reiser4progs 1.0.5 from portage.
MrVahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

predatorfreak wrote:
MrVahn wrote:

AthlonXP 2GHZ
384MB ram
ATA HDD using LVM2

Segfaults are generally a sign that the application is doing something wrong or that your memory is bad (or both!), so that may be something to look into. I'd run memtest86+, then if that turned up nothing do a CPU-battery-test (Also known as loop something CPU intensive for 24 hours). If neither shows/causes any problems, I'd go with reiser4 being the cause then.

Memtest has no errors. I don't know how to do the CPU-battery-test thingy. LOL.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.19 was so - so for me with reiser4, 2.6.20 seems to be much better, are you using vipernicus' patch with 2.6.20 ?

http://vipernicus.nesl247.org/files/patches/2.6.20/viper4/broken-out/reiser4-2.6.20.patch

I can really recommend 2.6.20-viper4 with rsdl 0.25, runs rockstable here, no probs with reiser4 so far (watch out for viper6, there seems to be some probs, I always get "wrong bytes" ... errors)

in addition to that viper4 can be pretty heavily modified :wink: (I added 4k-stacks patch, exec-shield, sky2-updates, ...) & it still runs that great

if possible you should really consider having a big swap-file (2 GB) and adding more ram, with 2.6.19 I also once got "out of memory errors" because my tmpfs drive in ram for compiling was full & it was swapping heavily :lol:

vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
2.6.19 was so - so for me with reiser4, 2.6.20 seems to be much better, are you using vipernicus' patch with 2.6.20 ?

http://vipernicus.nesl247.org/files/patches/2.6.20/viper4/broken-out/reiser4-2.6.20.patch

I can really recommend 2.6.20-viper4 with rsdl 0.25, runs rockstable here, no probs with reiser4 so far (watch out for viper6, there seems to be some probs, I always get "wrong bytes" ... errors)

in addition to that viper4 can be pretty heavily modified :wink: (I added 4k-stacks patch, exec-shield, sky2-updates, ...) & it still runs that great

if possible you should really consider having a big swap-file (2 GB) and adding more ram, with 2.6.19 I also once got "out of memory errors" because my tmpfs drive in ram for compiling was full & it was swapping heavily :lol:

http://vipernicus.nesl247.org/files/patches/2.6.20/viper7/

New -viper7 with a new reiser4 patch. This is the patch that was posted with the benchmarks on reiser4 and cryptcompress. I ran reiser4 partition created with reiser4progs 1.0.6 for several days with no issues, it was only when I moved to 2.6.21-rc5-mm2/mm3 that I had issues with my partition.
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:

New -viper7 with a new reiser4 patch. This is the patch that was posted with the benchmarks on reiser4 and cryptcompress. I ran reiser4 partition created with reiser4progs 1.0.6 for several days with no issues, it was only when I moved to 2.6.21-rc5-mm2/mm3 that I had issues with my partition.
Sweet, I've been waiting for this... I'm going to try it out as soon as possible. I love being the guinea pig :wink:

Edit: Sweet it booted up properly and is running smoothly. More importantly I got my bootsplash back and this fixed my problems with nvidia-drivers (the glx module would not load properly with 2.6.21-rc5-mm4) :D Can't comment on it any further as I've only been running it for a couple of minutes, but I thank you for your work, viper. 8)
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:

thanks vipernicus, you rock, I will give it a try, hopefully everything works (suspend2, reiser4, ...)

*fingers crossed*

MrVahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in. I'm currently compiling a patched-up vanilla*.20 from kernel.org. I hope this one will fix my problems. :crosses fingers:
mbar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has any of you "fschecked" compressed reiser4 (ccreg40)? I always get many "wrong bytes" errors, they are fixed, but it is kinda annoying. I use 20-viper7 kernel during normal operations and latest Conrad livecd for fsck'ing.
_pF_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Reiser 4 is well and truly screwed in Viper 7 - and I assume in other 2.6.20 kernels with the same patches.

Various files repeatedly get zeroed-out for no apparent reason. For example, you can be happily compiling then find that the gcc executable has suddenly turned into a bunch of zeros. This is somewhat disconcerting the first time it happens. fsck.reiser4 finds nothing wrong, though.
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_pF_ wrote:
Well Reiser 4 is well and truly screwed in Viper 7 - and I assume in other 2.6.20 kernels with the same patches.

Various files repeatedly get zeroed-out for no apparent reason. For example, you can be happily compiling then find that the gcc executable has suddenly turned into a bunch of zeros. This is somewhat disconcerting the first time it happens. fsck.reiser4 finds nothing wrong, though.
I've been running reiser4 with cryptcompress on viper7 since viper7 first came out with zero problems. I've compiled all sorts of stuff too.
_pF_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Zero Problem in Reiser 4 Reply with quote

sirdilznik wrote:
I've been running reiser4 with cryptcompress on viper7 since viper7 first came out with zero problems.

Sorry to hear that you've come across the zero problem too.

Looking at the bug reports on this I get the chilling feeling that the developers don't know what exactly their code is doing.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Zero Problem in Reiser 4 Reply with quote

_pF_ wrote:
sirdilznik wrote:
I've been running reiser4 with cryptcompress on viper7 since viper7 first came out with zero problems.

Looking at the bug reports on this I get the chilling feeling that the developers don't know what exactly their code is doing.

If you see all gentoo bug reports you are going to have a heart atack.
People fill bug reports only when they have a problem with something.I never saw bug reports that says "Im so happy, thank you that something doesn`t work " :P :D
_pF_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
List: linux-kernel
Subject: Re: [Fwd: reiser4 bugs in 2.6.21-rc4]
Date: 2007-03-27 20:14:31
Message-ID: 46097B27.6090606 () namesys ! com
Ignatich wrote:
> Subject: reiser4 bugs in 2.6.21-rc4
> From: Ignatich <ignatich@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:29:18 +0400
> To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Message-ID: <4609708E.5090908@gmail.com> [...]
>
> There are two bugs I found in current -mm reiser4 code.
>
> 1. Some files seem to be zeroed out randomly. Usually it's
> /lib/security/pam_limits.so and /lib/security/pam_deny.so. As
> fsck.reiser4 didn't find anything wrong I decided to create clean
> installation in vmware and see if this bug appears on newly formatted
> partition. It did.
>
> 2. Sometimes I get oppses in reiser4_do_readpage_extent. Assert codes
> are vs-1426 and nikita-2688. A patch was posted on namesys list to
> address this problem, but it didn't help.
>
> Kernel: 2.6.21-rc4 with manually applied reiser4 patches from -mm.
> Arch: x86-64
>

We are working on this.
Thanks for reports,

Edward.
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Zero Problem in Reiser 4 Reply with quote

_pF_ wrote:
sirdilznik wrote:

Bad choice of words on my part. I meant to say I haven't had any problems. :wink:
Slavo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
I had just short week using reiser4 w/ cryptcompress.

I started out using 2.6.20 with the reiser4 patch posted by the benchmarker, and ran that for 3 or 4 days with no problem. Then I updated to 2.6.21-rc5-mm3, and things were OK for a couple of reboots.

First thing I noticed about reiser4, is that it is not as fast as ext4 with extents. It seems to lag, and while doing so, bogs down my system. Ext4 with extents didn't lag, and didn't bog down my system. Then, I started to notice files disappearing at random, or just not showing changes made to the files since last reboot. Now, at this point, if I go to 'cp -r files ../' in some cases, the filesystem seems to hang, and does not continue.

From my point of view, there is nothing in reiser4 that ext3/ext4 can't give me.
Performance: ext4 > reiser4
Stability: ext3/4 > reiser4
Size Savings: ext3/4 < reiser4

So what if I lose 100 megs to gain performance and stability?

System tested on:
Athlon-XP 2800+ CPU
1GB DDR333 RAM
160GB PATA (UDMA 6)

well this benchmark has absolutely opposite results to yours
http://linuxhelp.150m.com/resources/fs-benchmarks.htm

now, who is lying here?
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slavo wrote:
vipernicus wrote:
I had just short week using reiser4 w/ cryptcompress.

I started out using 2.6.20 with the reiser4 patch posted by the benchmarker, and ran that for 3 or 4 days with no problem. Then I updated to 2.6.21-rc5-mm3, and things were OK for a couple of reboots.

First thing I noticed about reiser4, is that it is not as fast as ext4 with extents. It seems to lag, and while doing so, bogs down my system. Ext4 with extents didn't lag, and didn't bog down my system. Then, I started to notice files disappearing at random, or just not showing changes made to the files since last reboot. Now, at this point, if I go to 'cp -r files ../' in some cases, the filesystem seems to hang, and does not continue.

From my point of view, there is nothing in reiser4 that ext3/ext4 can't give me.
Performance: ext4 > reiser4
Stability: ext3/4 > reiser4
Size Savings: ext3/4 < reiser4

So what if I lose 100 megs to gain performance and stability?

System tested on:
Athlon-XP 2800+ CPU
1GB DDR333 RAM
160GB PATA (UDMA 6)

well this benchmark has absolutely opposite results to yours
http://linuxhelp.150m.com/resources/fs-benchmarks.htm

now, who is lying here?

it's not about lying but about experiences & choice

results may vary depending on hardware, kernel-version (mm, stable, rc), /root partition, non-root partition use & other variables

so everybody please stop posting lame reiser4 "commercials", I love reiser4 too, but that's not the right way to promote it & get kernel-inclusion, if you want it to get included into the kernel, start hacking on it & fixing outstanding bugs :!:

tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i DON'T recommend reiser4.
you always have to patch your kernel with the latest reiser4 patch.
if anything doesn't work right with the patch, you boot then just cry and cry.
it might be the best filesystem in the universe
but that's to me the main and enough reason to avoid it like sin.

Last edited by tranquilcool on Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
sobers_2002
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D :D :D

now that's a reason!
HecHacker1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:

then i'll guess you'll be happy to hear they are currently discussing resier4's inclusion into mainline. FYI, it is still actively being developed by at least two people.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/

I've had success here with reiser4. Running 2.6.21-rc7 with reiser4 patched on-top.
Step 1: download mainline 2.6.21
step 2: get official resier4 patch (for 2.6.20)
step 3: patch -p1 < reiser4-patch
step 4: enjoy?

So far I haven't noticed any problems since I last reported in this thread. I am currently running a custom kernel patchset with reiser4, suspend2, dyn-tick, and sd-0.46 and everything is working (for once!).

I only wish some mainline developer would take the project under their wing and include it into mainline.. That's the real problem why reiser4 isn't included.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HecHacker1 wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:

then i'll guess you'll be happy to hear they are currently discussing resier4's inclusion into mainline. FYI, it is still actively being developed by at least two people.

I've had success here with reiser4. Running 2.6.21-rc7 with reiser4 patched on-top.

So far I haven't noticed any problems since I last reported in this thread. I am currently running a custom kernel patchset with reiser4, suspend2, dyn-tick, and sd-0.46 and everything is working (for once!).

I only wish some mainline developer would take the project under their wing and include it into mainline.. That's the real problem why reiser4 isn't included.

nice :D

could you please post a link to the 'official' 2.6.20 reiser4 patch?

thanks in advance

update:

is it this one:

http://www.mail-archive.com/reiserfs-list@namesys.com/msg22579.html ?

warning: this patch seems to be buggy !

Last edited by kernelOfTruth on Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HecHacker1 wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:

Where do you locate this "official reiser4 patch"?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: