A Challenge: Install With No Keyboard!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dJCL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: A Challenge: Install With No Keyboard! Reply with quote

OK, I picked up a 1U server locally for almost nothing and I have been planning to use it to do some hosting at a colo. The system is a IBM Netserver 4000r (AKA: NetworkEngines WebEngine Blazer 1.0)(Dual PIII 750, 1Gig, Dual 9Gig, etc).

Now, this system uses a proprietary breakout cable to connect ps/2 and vga. To get around the vga it already had a pci video card put in it - works great and shows video right from bios on. To get around the ps/2 ports missing I assumed(wrongly) that I could just plugin a usb keyboard. It appears that the system does not have usb enabled in the bios, and so I can't actually get onto the system. Booting with the gentoo install cd boots right to the command prompt, but with no keyboard I cannot actually do anything. The cable costs about $50-$100 USD on ebay, which is a significant percentage of what I paid for the server.

So, my question: is there some way I can modify the boot cd so that it has a pre-set root password, and starts ssh by default? I have no problems getting my hands dirty messing with this stuff, but I don't know how these live cd's work.

I'm open to other suggestions too, basically anything that will get me a booted system with dhcp, ssh and enough tools to get gentoo installed will work for me. Also note that it does have Win2k3 on it, but I don't have the login and don't really wish to keep that OS.

The great and powerful Google did not have a good answer to my queries, so I seek the greater knowledge that I hope is locked in the brains of those who reside here.

Thanks
JC
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

If you're willing to create a live-cd to install the server, take a look at catalyst.
If the system has/had some kind of remote management board, you could try to use it to do a remote install.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
dJCL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly, this version of the hardware does not have a remote management option. And while I have seen some remote management boards in the office that might do the job, all of them are in production use right now and we don't have any incoming anytime soon.

But, I'm starting to get some info dug up on remastering the boot cd, so I will see where that leads me...

JC
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried installing via Knoppix?
dJCL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, tried knoppix - it boots fine, but I don't have a keyboard to allow me to setup a password and start ssh... Trust me, I tried. I was hoping it would start up the usb device that appears disabled in the bios.

I did however find a solution after continuing my search - and this one is a good one.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_SSHD_enabled_livecd

Basically shows how to remaster a minimal install cd to do what you want, in nice east instructions. I skipped creating a keypair, but did create host keys, and set the admin password. From there you just tell sshd to start on boot, and the password randomizer to not start and the whole thing just works.

Of course, that is not the end of my troubles, oh no...
I get the whole install completed(using the scsi drives that were in it - I intend to replace them with more storage later, but wanted to do a test install to see what hardware I needed), install grub and do a reboot.

And the bloody bios(that I cannot access due to keyboard not working) has boot sector virus notifications enabled!!! It of course dies and requires you to hit a key to get access to the os, which I cannot do.

I guess I go back to plan A, build a dongle for the breakout connector(I have the manual, it can be done!)

Thanks

JC
nosatalian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: It seems like your BIOS has some bad configurations Reply with quote

Apparently USB is disabled in your BIOS and your stuck with boot sector virus protection- have you tried clearing the CMOS.. maybe that will reset you to some reasonable defaults and fix one or both of those show-stopping problems. Usually, you can clear the CMOS with a jumper.. I'm not sure where that would be on a 1U server.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another approach would be to simply install the drive in another machine, install grub on it then return it to the server.
SLBMEH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Another approach would be to simply install the drive in another machine, install grub on it then return it to the server.

That would be an alternative however the bios would still detect a change in the boot sector.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, in my experience, the various boot sector write protection mechanisms prevent changes in real time, so removing the drive and modifying it away from such protections would work. If the BIOS does archive the boot sector (or an effective checksum thereof), then it would be necessary to disable the protections or modify stored image to use any drive with different contents in the boot sector.
dJCL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Bs bs Reply with quote

The boot sector was rewritten fine, I have a temp workaround by installing grub onto a CD(you did know you can do that, right?) and having my grub config load the hard drive kernel and boot like normal(basically it is the same as the one on the drive).

I've not found the bios reset on the system board, but I suspect that is actually when happened, this server did not get used for along time, the cmos battery died and lost the bios settings. There was nothing on my first boot about this, but I suspect it to be true because the old owner used USB keyboard/mouse with it, and now it is disabled(default setting on this hardware).

I may break down and buy the 100$ cable needed to get this working.

JC
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the wiki there is a howto in order to make a ssh enabled livecd...
this is to say a livecd where ssh start by default
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_SSHD_enabled_Installation_CD
dJCL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, that is what worked, see post further up

Only problem now is the boot sector virus protection.

Anyone know if I change from the current scsi to the redundant IDE setup I intend to put in here, will that still trigger the virus error?

JC
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: