View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skunk2.3 compiles and boots with genetic-rsdl but seg faults then hangs during shutdown or reboot.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
skunk2.3 compiles and boots with genetic-rsdl but seg faults then hangs during shutdown or reboot.

is the segfault on shutdown a genetic-rsdl issue or a particular -mm issue with your motherboard/hardware? have u tried a different scheduler?
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donman wrote:
Unfortunately Ndiswrapper does not compile against this kernel for me. Here is the error I receive:
Code:

* Preparing ndiswrapper module
make -C /usr/src/linux M=/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.3'
  LD      /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/built-in.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/crt.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/hal.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/iw_ndis.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/loader.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.o
/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.c:40:47: error: macro "INIT_WORK" passed 3 arguments, but takes just 2
/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.c: In function 'ndis_init':
/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.c:40: error: 'INIT_WORK' undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.c:40: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.c:40: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.3'
make: *** [default] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1614:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 971:   Called qa_call 'src_compile'
  environment, line 4074:   Called src_compile
  ndiswrapper-1.38.ebuild, line 59:   Called linux-mod_src_compile
  linux-mod.eclass, line 511:   Called die

!!! Unable to make  KSRC=/usr/src/linux KVERS=2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.3-genetic_rsdl KBUILD=/usr/src/linux DISABLE_USB=1 -j1 all.
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
!!! A complete build log is located at '/var/log/portage/net-wireless:ndiswrapper-1.38:20070312-034602.log'.

On a side note, did the wireless-dev tree get merged with -mm? I think I read that somewhere, and if so I will try out the bcm43xx driver again.

yes it did :)
Donman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so, so I went ahead and tried it. It could see my network, but refused to get an IP address. So it seems I am still tied to Ndiswrapper for a little while longer...

However, my /etc just got nuked (not kernels fault), so I will be out for a bit. The patchset is great btw, thanks a lot for it. My soundcard works perfectly with it, unlike with others, and I quite enjoy that.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donman wrote:
I thought so, so I went ahead and tried it. It could see my network, but refused to get an IP address. So it seems I am still tied to Ndiswrapper for a little while longer...

However, my /etc just got nuked (not kernels fault), so I will be out for a bit. The patchset is great btw, thanks a lot for it. My soundcard works perfectly with it, unlike with others, and I quite enjoy that.

there is a new version of suspend2 out now.... after I finish getting that patched into skunk2.4 I will figure out why ndiswrapper isnt working
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright people, here is 2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.4...... Suspend2 is back in this release... I havent tried it yet (I dont have a working setup to test with) but it compiles with and without all the suspend2 options enabled, I will try and get suspend2 a spin but all of you that wanted this please give it a shot
HecHacker1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
Alright people, here is 2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.4...... Suspend2 is back in this release... I havent tried it yet (I dont have a working setup to test with) but it compiles with and without all the suspend2 options enabled, I will try and get suspend2 a spin but all of you that wanted this please give it a shot

thanx! I will give this a try ASAP once I get back from class and report my findings.

EDIT1: so far everything looks good. Genetic Anticipatory and RSDL working flawlessly. Still haven't got to try suspend2 because I am trying to figure out the new linux PHC for my Pentium M (i can no longer find the op table to set voltages). There are so many choices for the CPU freq scaling drivers now (ACPI, Linux PHC, CPU idle PM, and the old Speedstep with the missing OP table). Too confusing!?

EDIT2: I did a make clean and only selected the old Centrino Speedstep driver, and this time I got the op_points_table. But unfortunately as soon as I echo the voltages into the table my computer freezes up. I tried upping the voltage, and it has no effect. I suspect something is broken.

Otherwise performance is excellent. I am emerge --sync'ing in the background right now while using beryl and writing this message, and everything is fluid and responsive. It would appear the combination of the new RSDL .30, genetic, and perhaps the new mm kernel is really helping. (the sync just finished, it literally sped right through the portage database building).

EDIT3: Suspend2 is working. However, my system came back to a smaller resolution probably because 915resolution didn't get triggered early enough in the resume process. I'm sure I can force 915resolution to run earlier and most likely solve the problem. (i'm guessing the internal timing of resume was changed).
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the skunk-patch doesn't apply cleanly during emerge
this happens both in skunk2.3 and skunk2.4;

Applying -skunk patch ...
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file Makefile.rej

however, with genetic-rsdl kernel shutsdown fine but seg faults if the command is to reboot.
i'll try genetic-ingosched and report.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
the skunk-patch doesn't apply cleanly during emerge
this happens both in skunk2.3 and skunk2.4;

Applying -skunk patch ...

however, with genetic-rsdl kernel shutsdown fine but seg faults if the command is to reboot.
i'll try genetic-ingosched and report.

yeah the Makefile reject is ok its just me renaming the version or kernel name which I overwrite with the ebuild after I apply all patches anyway
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HecHacker1 wrote:
EDIT3: Suspend2 is working. However, my system came back to a smaller resolution probably because 915resolution didn't get triggered early enough in the resume process. I'm sure I can force 915resolution to run earlier and most likely solve the problem. (i'm guessing the internal timing of resume was changed).
awesome, glad to hear suspend2 is working, when I tried it just sits at doing atomic copy... about the 915resolution issues, please go look for a BIOS update.... my friend had some dell that needed to use 915resolution but then we updated his bios and didnt have to use the 915res hack...
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
HecHacker1 wrote:
awesome, glad to hear suspend2 is working, when I tried it just sits at doing atomic copy... about the 915resolution issues, please go look for a BIOS update.... my friend had some dell that needed to use 915resolution but then we updated his bios and didnt have to use the 915res hack...

Thats exactly the reason to give this patchset a try. Although it looks a bit too much unstable to me.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please add thinkpad patches? Especially tp_smapi.

Thanks and did the 2.6.20 version include suspend2? Is that one stable?
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
HecHacker1 wrote:

Thats exactly the reason to give this patchset a try. Although it looks a bit too much unstable to me.

unstable no; it will either work or not :D... I think the only issue anyone has had so far is that 1 reboot issue, no one else had complained about anything so either no one is using it at all or its working and people dont have a reason to complain

EDIT: where do the thinkpad patches come from (if you give me a link to the source of the patches, not someone elses patchset) I will start adding them?
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
* checking 2.6.21-rc2-mm2-broken-out.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                                                                                                           [ ok ]
 * checking 2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.4.bz2 ;-) ...                                                                                                                     [ ok ]
 * checking mm-series-2.6.21_rc2-skunk2.x ;-) ...                                                                                                               [ ok ]
>>> Preparing to unpack ...
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking linux-2.6.20.tar.bz2 to /tmp/PORTAGE/var-tmp/portage/sys-kernel/skunk-sources-2.6.21_rc2-r24/work
>>> Unpacking patch-2.6.21-rc2.bz2 to /tmp/PORTAGE/var-tmp/portage/sys-kernel/skunk-sources-2.6.21_rc2-r24/work
>>> Unpacking 2.6.21-rc2-mm2-broken-out.tar.bz2 to /tmp/PORTAGE/var-tmp/portage/sys-kernel/skunk-sources-2.6.21_rc2-r24/work
>>> Unpacking 2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.4.bz2 to /tmp/PORTAGE/var-tmp/portage/sys-kernel/skunk-sources-2.6.21_rc2-r24/work
>>> Applying -rc prepatch ...
>>> Applying -mm broken-out patches ...
>>> Applying -skunk patch ...

You can get them from vipernicus:
http://vipernicus.nesl247.org/files/patches/2.6.20/

/edit: Ok sorry didn't read till the end. tp_smapi can be found on sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpctl/
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

*** 1,7 ****
  VERSION = 2
  PATCHLEVEL = 6
  SUBLEVEL = 21
- EXTRAVERSION = -rc2-skunk2.1
  NAME = Hindu Kush

# *DOCUMENTATION*
--- 1,7 ----
  VERSION = 2
  PATCHLEVEL = 6
  SUBLEVEL = 21
+ EXTRAVERSION = -rc2-skunk2.4
  NAME = Hindu Kush

# *DOCUMENTATION*

So not a real problem about that 8)
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
Code:
* checking 2.6.21-rc2-mm2-broken-out.tar.bz2 ;-) ...                                                                                                           [ ok ]
 * checking 2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.4.bz2 ;-) ...                                                                                                                     [ ok ]
 * checking mm-series-2.6.21_rc2-skunk2.x ;-) ...                                                                                                               [ ok ]
>>> Preparing to unpack ...
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking linux-2.6.20.tar.bz2 to /tmp/PORTAGE/var-tmp/portage/sys-kernel/skunk-sources-2.6.21_rc2-r24/work
>>> Unpacking patch-2.6.21-rc2.bz2 to /tmp/PORTAGE/var-tmp/portage/sys-kernel/skunk-sources-2.6.21_rc2-r24/work
>>> Unpacking 2.6.21-rc2-mm2-broken-out.tar.bz2 to /tmp/PORTAGE/var-tmp/portage/sys-kernel/skunk-sources-2.6.21_rc2-r24/work
>>> Unpacking 2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.4.bz2 to /tmp/PORTAGE/var-tmp/portage/sys-kernel/skunk-sources-2.6.21_rc2-r24/work
>>> Applying -rc prepatch ...
>>> Applying -mm broken-out patches ...
>>> Applying -skunk patch ...

You can get them from vipernicus:
http://vipernicus.nesl247.org/files/patches/2.6.20/

/edit: Ok sorry didn't read till the end. tp_smapi can be found on sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpctl/

I hate using other peoples patches... I have no idea what they did to get some work if they required any extra fudging... plus most peoples patches to apply right to mm-sources so it saves me no effort using other peoples patches (plus I can watch for updates).... look for the thinkpad drivers in future releases
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

CC      arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.o
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c: In Funktion »est_cpu_init_table«:
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c:136: Warnung: Variable »cpuinfo« wird nicht verwendet
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c: In Funktion »est_cpu_init«:
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c:888: Warnung: Variable »i« wird nicht verwendet
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c: Auf höchster Ebene:
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c:282: Warnung: »est_verify_cpu_id« definiert, aber nicht verwendet
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c:87: Warnung: »est_cpu« definiert, aber nicht verwendet
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c:95: Warnung: »models« definiert, aber nicht verwendet
  LD      arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/built-in.o
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.o: In function `rounded_div':
phc-est.c:(.text+0x5b): multiple definition of `rounded_div'
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.o:speedstep-centrino.c:(.text+0xa2): first defined here
make[3]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/built-in.o] Fehler 1
make[2]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq] Fehler 2
make[1]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/cpu] Fehler 2
make: *** [arch/i386/kernel] Fehler 2

rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
Code:

CC      arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.o
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c: In Funktion »est_cpu_init_table«:
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c:136: Warnung: Variable »cpuinfo« wird nicht verwendet
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c: In Funktion »est_cpu_init«:
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c:888: Warnung: Variable »i« wird nicht verwendet
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c: Auf höchster Ebene:
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c:282: Warnung: »est_verify_cpu_id« definiert, aber nicht verwendet
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c:87: Warnung: »est_cpu« definiert, aber nicht verwendet
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.c:95: Warnung: »models« definiert, aber nicht verwendet
  LD      arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/built-in.o
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/phc-est.o: In function `rounded_div':
phc-est.c:(.text+0x5b): multiple definition of `rounded_div'
arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-centrino.o:speedstep-centrino.c:(.text+0xa2): first defined here
make[3]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/built-in.o] Fehler 1
make[2]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq] Fehler 2
make[1]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/cpu] Fehler 2
make: *** [arch/i386/kernel] Fehler 2

im not sure exactly why it does that, but if u build speedstep-centrino as a module and phc-est built in it will compile
EDIT: im new to linux-phc so I didnt want to change to much code in the patch initially, I will see if an ifdef will clean that up

Last edited by rmh3093 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpctl/

I hate using other peoples patches... I have no idea what they did to get some work if they required any extra fudging... plus most peoples patches to apply right to mm-sources so it saves me no effort using other peoples patches (plus I can watch for updates).... look for the thinkpad drivers in future releases

Ok I understand.... But you can inlcude tp_smapi ok? If I can compile/boot your kernel I will apply it myself any way.

Last edited by Phlogiston on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:

im not sure exactly why it does that, but if u build speedstep-centrino as a module and phc-est built in it will compile

I hopefully fixed it myself already 8)
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Phlogiston"]
rmh3093 wrote:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpctl/
Ok I understand.... But you can inlcude tp_smapi ok?

yeah I said I would add it to future releases :)
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kernel seems to run fine except that I can't use linux phc. The proc files are missing. Is it new that there is a kernel option for this? I thought that it just patches some tables and adds some code in existing files... I hope someone can help me.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
Kernel seems to run fine except that I can't use linux phc. The proc files are missing. Is it new that there is a kernel option for this? I thought that it just patches some tables and adds some code in existing files... I hope someone can help me.

well I am new to the linux-phc scene but this is what I have learned so far... all of the chips that use "Intel Enhanced Speedstep" support changing the voltage in addition to changing clock speed (the old speedstep you could only change frequency so not much power saving)... so the enhanced speedstep driver for non Core processors uses a combo of a built-in (into the kernel) table of voltage/frequency combinations, the linux-phc driver exposes that table to the userland though sysfs so that you can change the voltage/frequency combinations.... the core cpus have differnt FSB speeds and the current driver doesnt calculate voltages correctly for the core processor so it not really worth using at this time... also in the mm-kernel enhanced-speedstep is getting merged into the acpi-cpufreq driver which the linux-phc people are supposed to support soon
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I really need that patch. Could you tell me where you get that 0.3.0 pre patch? I tried with the older for 2.6.20: The entries in /sys here are there but do not work.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm suspend is broken... hangs while hibernating... so I forget this sources.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: