Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buddabrod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using nicksched?
Maybe it's that :P rsdl works fine.
Besides i can't compile saa7134 support into kernel, but just as module.. not that it matters, just a remark.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddabrod wrote:
Are you using nicksched?
Maybe it's that :P rsdl works fine.
Besides i can't compile saa7134 support into kernel, but just as module.. not that it matters, just a remark.

now how could i use nicksched if plugsched isnt even in the kernel :wink: i will try and put plugsched back in one I get 2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.0 out.... gonna reboot now and take it for a test drive

...saa7134 is what type of driver im not familiar with it?
buddabrod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnarr i meant ingosched ;)

saa7134 is a driver for my tv-card
Device-drivers -> Multimedia Devices -> Video Capture Adapters
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump... 2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.0 is out.... cpu scheduler slowdowns should be taken care of in -mm2.... also I reverted to Jake latest original genetics patches (the ones with out kobj) and the hardlocks seem to be gone....

Have fun....
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump... I added Genetic RSDL to 2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.1....... Now please keep in mind that this has not been benchmarked... and probably could be tuned

...testing and feedback welcome
bollucks
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
Bump... I added Genetic RSDL to 2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.1....... Now please keep in mind that this has not been benchmarked... and probably could be tuned

WTF is a "genetic RSDL" ... ck asks...
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bollucks wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:

Genetic RSDL is my quick hack at applying the genetic lib to tune the very few tunables for the RSDL cpu scheduler...... just like its applied to ingosched cpuscheduler.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
bollucks wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:

Genetic RSDL is my quick hack at applying the genetic lib to tune the very few tunables for the RSDL cpu scheduler...... just like its applied to ingosched cpuscheduler.

RSDL is supposed to use nice levels to determine your timeslice. How this will work if someone nices processes?
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
bollucks wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:

RSDL is supposed to use nice levels to determine your timeslice. How this will work if someone nices processes?

well since rr_interval is based of the nice value and rr_interval is what gets mutated then any change in nice level by the userland should be reflected in the mutated rr_interval, so you should still be able to set default nice levels to apps.... there is a decay rate for "top_performing_genes" so crappy genes dont accidentally get promoted and bog down your system....
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
vipernicus wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
bollucks wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:

well since rr_interval is based of the nice value and rr_interval is what gets mutated then any change in nice level by the userland should be reflected in the mutated rr_interval, so you should still be able to set default nice levels to apps.... there is a decay rate for "top_performing_genes" so crappy genes dont accidentally get promoted and bog down your system....

How does this handle things when tasks expire?
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC kernel/genetic-rsdl.o
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c: In function ‘genetic_cpu_sched_init’:
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:420: error: invalid application of ‘sizeof’ to incomplete type ‘struct sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c: In function ‘cpu_take_stats_snapshot’:
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:459: error: invalid application of ‘sizeof’ to incomplete type ‘struct sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:459: error: invalid application of ‘sizeof’ to incomplete type ‘struct sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:464: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:464: error: ‘struct rq’ has no member named ‘rq_sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:465: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:465: error: ‘struct rq’ has no member named ‘rq_sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:466: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:466: error: ‘struct rq’ has no member named ‘rq_sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c: In function ‘cpu_throughput_calc_fitness’:
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:528: error: ‘struct rq’ has no member named ‘rq_sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:531: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c: In function ‘cpu_latency_calc_fitness’:
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:543: error: ‘struct rq’ has no member named ‘rq_sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:546: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c: In function ‘cpu_context_switch_calc_fitness’:
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:559: error: ‘struct rq’ has no member named ‘rq_sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:562: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make[1]: *** [kernel/genetic-rsdl.o] Error 1
make: *** [kernel] Error 2

genetic-rsdl doesn't compile. above are the errors. i applied both patches.

Last edited by tranquilcool on Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
vipernicus wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
bollucks wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:

well the decay rates and mutation rates are constantly manipulating/mutating/changing the values of the genes so when a task expires the will be a workload change, the workload change would be reflected in schedstats and more than likely a new gene will get promoted, if that gene sucks it gets fired and a new gene gets promoted and this process keeps going until a good candidate arises
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
vipernicus wrote:

well the decay rates and mutation rates are constantly manipulating/mutating/changing the values of the genes so when a task expires the will be a workload change, the workload change would be reflected in schedstats and more than likely a new gene will get promoted, if that gene sucks it gets fired and a new gene gets promoted and this process keeps going until a good candidate arises

So if tasks with varying nice levels constantly expire and new tasks with varying nice levels are spawned, then how can a good candidate ever be found with RSDL?
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
vipernicus wrote:

So if tasks with varying nice levels constantly expire and new tasks with varying nice levels are spawned, then how can a good candidate ever be found with RSDL?

well the average user doesnt renice every program they start so how could an algorithm that does that based on scheduler statistics & i/o workload stats not work?
deno
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and like always, if there is a driver/patch you want included just ask

How about suspend2?
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump.... RSDL bug-fix here: http://skunk-sources.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/skunk-sources/2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.x/patches/lkml/rsdl-bugfix.patch
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.2 "Hindu Kush" :: Genetic RS Reply with quote

bump... 2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.2 includes new version of RSDL ( v0.28 ) also contains some a few -mm hot-fixes and the genetic hot-fixes
HecHacker1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second request for suspend2. Laptop user here.

Right now I'm on viper4, and RSDL is working great for my system, but suspend2 crashes on boot up. I am very interested in Genetic RSDL too, i wonder if it will provide even better interactivity.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HecHacker1 wrote:

Right now I'm on viper4, and RSDL is working great for my system, but suspend2 crashes on boot up. I am very interested in Genetic RSDL too, i wonder if it will provide even better interactivity.

I have never really had great success suspending my laptops so I dont have a working system to test things on... Also -mm introduces a bunch of changes to the crypto api and my last 2 attempts to port suspend2 to -mm resulted in a kernel that crashes very ugly when trying to suspend and another version that freezes with no output... I will to bring in suspend2 once a new version is released.... or if I can learn how to use git i might be able to update the -mm branch of suspend2 (im not sure how old that is)

...with respects to Genetic RSDL, or genetics in general.... I think the genetic aio scheduler is awsome... my laptop runs way quieter (fans on less often) and I dont notice any performance loss, im using the genetic rsdl cpu scheduler also and I can emerge my world and build a kernel and the 3D beryl effects like leaf spread are still fairly snappy... interactivity while cd burning with genetics is really nice also
HecHacker1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
HecHacker1 wrote:

I have never really had great success suspending my laptops so I dont have a working system to test things on... Also -mm introduces a bunch of changes to the crypto api and my last 2 attempts to port suspend2 to -mm resulted in a kernel that crashes very ugly when trying to suspend and another version that freezes with no output... I will to bring in suspend2 once a new version is released.... or if I can learn how to use git i might be able to update the -mm branch of suspend2 (im not sure how old that is)

...with respects to Genetic RSDL, or genetics in general.... I think the genetic aio scheduler is awsome... my laptop runs way quieter (fans on less often) and I dont notice any performance loss, im using the genetic rsdl cpu scheduler also and I can emerge my world and build a kernel and the 3D beryl effects like leaf spread are still fairly snappy... interactivity while cd burning with genetics is really nice also

yeah, i know suspend2 causes many problems for people trying to port it. I'll await your release, but in the mean time it looks like viper is updating his kernel. Maybe the suspend issues will be fixed. When suspend works right, it works great. I can press my power button, and have it trigger hibernate on my beryl/xfce4 desktop, and upon resume everything is ready to go. Much faster than booting! Of course, this is only when it works right (and lately it hasnt).

as for genetic, I started using it because it was the only thing that would take away pauses in my music back in the days of 2.6.12. It actually works... despite the cynicism many people have for genetic.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
CC kernel/genetic-rsdl.o
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c: In function ‘genetic_cpu_sched_init’:
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:420: error: invalid application of ‘sizeof’ to incomplete type ‘struct sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c: In function ‘cpu_take_stats_snapshot’:
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:464: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:464: error: ‘struct rq’ has no member named ‘rq_sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:465: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:465: error: ‘struct rq’ has no member named ‘rq_sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:466: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:466: error: ‘struct rq’ has no member named ‘rq_sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c: In function ‘cpu_throughput_calc_fitness’:
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:528: error: ‘struct rq’ has no member named ‘rq_sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:531: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c: In function ‘cpu_latency_calc_fitness’:
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:543: error: ‘struct rq’ has no member named ‘rq_sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:546: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c: In function ‘cpu_context_switch_calc_fitness’:
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:559: error: ‘struct rq’ has no member named ‘rq_sched_info’
kernel/genetic-rsdl.c:562: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make[1]: *** [kernel/genetic-rsdl.o] Error 1
make: *** [kernel] Error 2

genetic-rsdl doesn't compile. above are the errors. i applied both patches.

I didnt even see this post sneak in there.... sorry, do you get this 2.2 also??? I think the issue has to do with kernel/Kconfig.cpusched I forget to make Genetic RSDL select schedstats and geneitclib so make sure you have: GENETIC_LIB (in the libraries section) and SCHEDSTATS (in the kernel hacking section)
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no SCHEDSTATS in kernel hacking section if genetic rsdl is selected.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
no SCHEDSTATS in kernel hacking section if genetic rsdl is selected.

"Collect scheduler statistics" you dont see that in the kernel hacking section?? you need to enable "Kernel debugging" also
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

version 2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.3 is now out. i fixed the kconfig issues so genetic-rsdl should now select schedstats and geneticlib.... also rsdl has been updated to v0.30..... I tried to get suspend2 to work with this release and its not happening, i tried both latest and stable versions and the snapshot from suspend2-mm.git... there are too many changes for 2.6.21 I dont want to spend much more time on it until a new version of suspend2 is out
Donman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately Ndiswrapper does not compile against this kernel for me. Here is the error I receive:
Code:

* Preparing ndiswrapper module
make -C /usr/src/linux M=/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.3'
  LD      /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/built-in.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/crt.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/hal.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/iw_ndis.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/loader.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.o
/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.c:40:47: error: macro "INIT_WORK" passed 3 arguments, but takes just 2
/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.c: In function 'ndis_init':
/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.c:40: error: 'INIT_WORK' undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.c:40: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.c:40: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver/ndis.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38/work/ndiswrapper-1.38/driver] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.3'
make: *** [default] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.38 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1614:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 971:   Called qa_call 'src_compile'
  environment, line 4074:   Called src_compile
  ndiswrapper-1.38.ebuild, line 59:   Called linux-mod_src_compile
  linux-mod.eclass, line 511:   Called die

!!! Unable to make  KSRC=/usr/src/linux KVERS=2.6.21-rc2-skunk2.3-genetic_rsdl KBUILD=/usr/src/linux DISABLE_USB=1 -j1 all.
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
!!! A complete build log is located at '/var/log/portage/net-wireless:ndiswrapper-1.38:20070312-034602.log'.

On a side note, did the wireless-dev tree get merged with -mm? I think I read that somewhere, and if so I will try out the bcm43xx driver again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: