Portage dependancies [Solved...sort of]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtjohnst
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Portage dependancies [Solved...sort of] Reply with quote

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the Desktop section, so I trust the mods will move it if this is the wrong place.

Is there any way to get gnome-light without firefox? Or...to install all the gnome components seperately? I'm considering removing the gnome-light meta package, yelp and firefox, which should solve the problem (I really don't use "help" from the menu anyways, I check the online docs), but then if I do a depclean, portage wants to ditch ALL my gnome. :S Is there a solution to this pickle?

Last edited by dtjohnst on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could copy the gnome-light ebuild to your own overlay and then edit to remove the firefox dependency etc (this is what I do with gnome). Their is a good overlay guide on the gentoo-wiki
dtjohnst
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response, I'll give it a try and update this thread with my results.

Out of curiousity, how does this work when a new version of gnome-light is released? Will it automatically try to pull in the new stuff, or will my overlay take precendence?
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Portage dependancies Reply with quote

dtjohnst wrote:
gnome-light without firefox?

There are old threads about this. It's possible, but not supported by Gnome, and thus the Gentoo devs don't want to support it either. Thus, they do not give the option.

You can change the ebuilds (and eclasses) in your own overlay in whatever way you wish. If they break, it's your problem :wink:

I would suggest just compiling firefox overnight.

An overlay's ebuild takes precedence over the ebuild in Portage, when the version numbers are identical.
dtjohnst
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Portage dependancies Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
dtjohnst wrote:
gnome-light without firefox?

There are old threads about this. It's possible, but not supported by Gnome, and thus the Gentoo devs don't want to support it either. Thus, they do not give the option.

You can change the ebuilds (and eclasses) in your own overlay in whatever way you wish. If they break, it's your problem :wink:

I would suggest just compiling firefox overnight.

An overlay's ebuild takes precedence over the ebuild in Portage, when the version numbers are identical.

I did do a search before I posted and all the threads I found were people wanting firefox over mozilla, not how to ditch both altogether. I'm an opera man. It's not the compile time that bugs me, It's a matter of trying to streamline my system. I think I'm just going to ditch gnome-light and merge the individual peices I want, excluding yelp and all the other junk.

I did get the overlay to work though. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: