View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
punter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: why is AIGLX/XGL so slow?? Reply with quote

I have an Intel 915GM graphics card.
and I use AIGLX + beryl.
(I think AIGLX is much faster than XGL for i915, if anyone has experiences to the contrary, please let me know!)

and it's absolutely unbelievable how slow/painful scrolling of a webpage is.
I was just scrolling the gentoo forums list up and down.... my FPS was dropping down to 12fps, cpu to 100%, and I had anything but smooth scrolling at the end.

looks like this 3D is coming at very high costs after all.
robodeath
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you turn beryl off, is everything faster? Also i've noticed that some beryl options slow me down, like the fade thing. Have you tried beryl with default settings?
punter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beryl is not the performance eater here..... it is the AIGLX process that stands at the top of my 'top' list at all times.
i've ran e17 with AIGLX and i notice the same glitch when browsing webpages.... but my god, X (xorg) itself is so fast and so smooth.

what troubles me most... is that i have the firefox in the same state for both AIGLX and Xorg....
I mean, I have firefox window fully maximized and it isn't transparent or any other thing.... and yet the performance over AIGLX is at least a third lower than Xorg on its own.
booldog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your CPU is probably doing all the work, not your video card. Is DRI running? What's the result of:
Code:
glxinfo | grep rendering

punter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booldog wrote:
Your CPU is probably doing all the work, not your video card. Is DRI running? What's the result of:
Code:
glxinfo | grep rendering

DRI's running perfectly.
It of course doesn't show-up under XGL, because of "indirect rendering", but AIGLX says "Direct Rendering: YES".

The problem is well beyond these issues.... Mac OS X is running on Intel hardware now. In fact, it runs on the very same graphics card as I have (Intel 915GM).
The difference in performance, speed and smoothness is HUGE.

I think everyone knows that XGL and AIGLX are crap... it's just that we're stuck with them until something better comes out... I think what we're waiting for is XEGL. is it? i'm not sure about the name... but there's definitely something along those lines.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: