Installing with LiveCD 2006.1 [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kel_p
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Installing with LiveCD 2006.1 [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I installed Gentoo using the LiveCD 2006.1, I chose to use the LiveCD-kernel because the gentoo-sources (I wanted to use) installed fine but resulted in not finding my boot-partition at boot.. (problem with SATA-disks?)
Somewhere I read the LiveCD-kernel is the same as the gentoo-sources only compiled (obviously), I (being Gentoo-n00b) don't understand how come the gentoo-sources don't work where the LiveCD-kernel does.

I want to have a custom compiled kernel but bump into the same thing again and again (no bootpartition found) and would like to know how the LiveCD-kernel is compiled, so I can use that as a base to start from.. I understand the LiveCD-kernel-source is not available but maybe the conf-settings for genkernel???

Last edited by kel_p on Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the livecd kernel is gentoo-sources compiled with genkernel to support just about anything. :)
so either you are leaving some necessary support out when building yourself or your grub boot line is incorrect.

you can save your genkernel configuration file anywhere by using
Code:
genkernel --menuconfig all
and selecting "save configuration to an alternate file" maybe /usr/src/.config so you will have it to compare.

lspci will tell you most of what support you need for your chipset etc.

you can emerge gentoo-sources and use the make oldconfig command in the src dir ..
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/genkernel.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml?style=printable
Quantum_C
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Areyou 100% sure you set up the boot partions with correct? and configed grub correctly?
kel_p
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info..

Correct me if I'm wrong but this also means that I can't compile a custom-kernel based on the .config of the LiveCD-kernel? Since there is no source and (I assume) no .config-file? So for now I have no choice than to start from scratch?
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing with LiveCD 2006.1 Reply with quote

kel_p wrote:
I installed Gentoo using the LiveCD 2006.1, I chose to use the LiveCD-kernel because the gentoo-sources (I wanted to use) installed fine but resulted in not finding my boot-partition at boot.. (problem with SATA-disks?)
Somewhere I read the LiveCD-kernel is the same as the gentoo-sources only compiled (obviously), I (being Gentoo-n00b) don't understand how come the gentoo-sources don't work where the LiveCD-kernel does.

I want to have a custom compiled kernel but bump into the same thing again and again (no bootpartition found) and would like to know how the LiveCD-kernel is compiled, so I can use that as a base to start from.. I understand the LiveCD-kernel-source is not available but maybe the conf-settings for genkernel???
The kernel on the LiveCD is linux-2.6.17-gentoo-r7 which corresponds to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.17-r7.

The minimal install CD uses the same kernel and the procedure to compile your own kernel for your new installation is to run
Code:
emerge gentoo-sources
zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-config-2.6
genkernel all
This will install gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r5 (the latest stable) and then use the 2.6.17-r7 config to configure it. Unfortunately, SATA drivers are configured in the 2.6.17-r7 config but this doesn't transfer to 2.6.19-r5 and no SATA support is compiled.

The LiveCD probably does the same thing and you will need to try and persuade it to emerge the 2.6.17-r7 kernel instead of the latest stable using
Code:
emerge =gentoo-sources-2.6.17-r7
instead which will give you a kernel with SATA support. Unfortunately, I don't know how the LiveCD works so I can't give precise instructions.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
kel_p
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it!!
Wrestled with compilerflags and got the damn thing working!!
Thanks for the input.
carnaby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which compiler flags?? Iquiring minds want to know... I can't see my DVD when I boot my kernel, only in the live cd boot. Argh!
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably missing SCSI CD-ROM support
Code:
   Device Drivers  --->
   SCSI device support  --->
<*> SCSI disk support
<*> SCSI CDROM support

The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: