GRP Install crashes on a perl package AMD64 LiveCD 2006.1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firebird84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: GRP Install crashes on a perl package AMD64 LiveCD 2006.1 Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I'm making a return to gentoo after over a year of "not having enough time." I bought a new system this past week, and of course the first thing I wanted to do with my clean slate, was install gentoo. However, doing the command line install, my installation crashes on package 45/101 - it's some perl package...i can get details on this later, but all the install is doing is copying it. If it was an option I could turn off, I would, but it seems like this is part of the compiler suite. Anyway, here's my system config:

Intel Core 2 Quad QX6700
4 GB G Skill DDR 2 800 (4x 1GB)
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI motherboard
EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX video (just one, not running SLI yet)
Antec Truepower Trio 650W PSU
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s HD

My partition setup I selected during install was as the recommended setup, except I changed the 3rd partition (mounted on /) to half its size and left the rest unpartitioned (it will be my WinXP partition)

I selected a GRP stage 3 install, networkless, since for some reason I can't get DHCP to work - and the install crashes while copying that package I mentioned above. The motherboard gives a code of 3C, which in my manual as "Test Timer" : "Test 8254 Timer 0 Counter2" Basically, the manual is useless in this regard, unless that means something to someone else....

If this seems like a hardware problem to anyone I'll understand - I'm just kindof confused since everything up until this point worked great, and my searches on the boards turned up nothing :(

Last edited by firebird84 on Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
firebird84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, nevermind. THIS time it finished copying packages, and gave me this error:
Code:
There was an Exception received during the install that is outside of the normal install errors.  This is a bad thing. The error was:BootloaderError :FATAL: _map_device_to_grub_device: ERROR, could not map to anything in the device map

Now I'm starting to think it's an SATA problem, I'll start looking back in those threads to see if I missed anything.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: