weird dmraid issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
green_buddy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: weird dmraid issue Reply with quote

So I have to say it's been quite a while since I've posted, and that's 'cause my gentoo system was happily plugging along as the raid fileserver I wanted it to be when one day suddenly... blam... the power outage corrupted my boot sector and no more raid1 mirror fileserver! Argh!!! :twisted:

Now I'm trying to reinstall the raid using dmraid. All seems to be going alright except for something kinda weird. I want to mount my reiserfs partition on /storage , but check this out...

Code:
myhost / # fdisk /dev/mapper/hpt37x_dcicceigbb

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 155060.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/mapper/hpt37x_dcicceigbb: 80.0 GB, 80026356224 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 155060 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/mapper/hpt37x_dcicceigbb1   *           1          63       31720+  83  Linux
/dev/mapper/hpt37x_dcicceigbb2              64        3040     1500408   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/mapper/hpt37x_dcicceigbb3            3041      155061    76618584   83  Linux

Command (m for help): q

myhost / #

All fine and dandy there right? No problems so far! I'd really like to mount /dev/mapper/hpt37x_dcicceigbb3 on /storage. Shouldn't be that big of a deal right?

Now for the kicker...

Code:
myhost / # ls /dev/mapper/
control  hpt37x_dcicceigbb  hpt37x_dcicceigbb1  hpt37x_dcicceigbb2
myhost / #

So what happened to /dev/mapper/hpt37x_dcicceigbb3 ? Anyone have any ideas? The /boot partition is there, there /swap partition exists. So what happened to the main partition? Why is it not mappable? 8O

Anyone have any ideas?

My guess is that hde3 and hdg3 are of different sizes and that may be f'ing with the dmraid functionality. However, the hpt controller previously used to be able to manage the different sized volumes just fine.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably need to reboot the box for it to read the partition table properly, dmraid isn't very mature, it's a userspace hack for BIOS RAID devices since ataraid support was dropped from 2.6.
green_buddy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've definitely tried that for sure. Bummer ataraid support was dropped from 2.6. That makes sense though - the last time I had it working was with the 2.4 kernel.

So I'm probably going to do the unthinkable... I'm gonna go by a mac-mini and a couple of external hard drives and get software raid configured. :?

5+ years ago I used to have the patience for this kinda stuff, but now I just want it to work. I can still atleast scp since the ssh daemon is working so I'll probably just mount /dev/hde3 and go from there. :roll:

If anyone else can think of anything to save me from spending almost $900 that'd be awesome!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: