podcast management
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: podcast management Reply with quote

Hello,

I want to manage my podcasts efficiently. I would like a piece of software with the following attributes (i have ordered my wants from most essential to least).

1) can download podcasts and transfer to a generic mp3 player
2) is a media player
3) is gnome based

I think (but am not sure) gnomad satisfies 1) and 3) and amarok satisfies 1) and 2) (please correct me if I am wrong).

unfortunately, i don't think the main gnome media players (banshee, listen and rhythmbox) do number 1).

any hints? i think i may just emerge amarok, but other solutions are welcome.

Last edited by juniper on Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. here is what i have found (i will post here for others and myself as the problem is not fully solved).

Both rhythmbox and banshee support generic mp3 players (if they are detected as USB mass storage). in order for this functionality to work, you device needs to be listed in the file

/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-usb-music-players.fdi

if not, you can simply place an empty file named .is_audio_player in the top level directory on your mp3 player. The latter solution works for me for both rhythmbox and banshee.

however, i still have a problem. both rhythmbox and banshee only support copying songs from the LIBRARY to my mp3 player, not podcasts. really strange. even if i import my podcast directory into the library it doesn't work. so, i can't copy my podcasts to my mp3 player. does anyone know how to fix this? as i think this is my best hope, i will make a new thread for banshee and this issue.

i have tried gpodder, but it can't find my mp3 player (even though the homepage says it supports generic players).
Bobnoxous
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this info. I've just installed rhythmbox, and it does see my creaitve muvo when I add the ".is_audio_player" file.

Haven't sorted out syncing yet, but dragging and dropping is easy enough. I did notice that I can import the Podcast directory into the library. I don't know if that'll help you syncing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: