Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Distrowatch: "Gentoo in crisis"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandaxiongmao
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo because I want to customize my OS (avoid unnecessary items as much as possible) & have a quite decent package manager at the same time; speed (ricing) has never become my goal.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandaxiongmao wrote:
I use Gentoo because I want to customize my OS (avoid unnecessary items as much as possible) & have a quite decent package manager at the same time; speed (ricing) has never become my goal.

Thats me! 8) I don*t want any packages on my system, which I don*t need. Half of gnome-light is just right for me 8)
Any package which I don*t need is maybe a risk, you know?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with that, if you have happy with your Gentoo installation, stick with it :)

In fact, Gentoo is unique, and when you have a working Gentoo installation, you rock, plain and simple :)
Januszzz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Ok, ok...

I really suffered once because 9 my gentoo servers didn't wake up after power failure because of nss_ldap calling udev and udev waiting for ldap reply even though the network was down.... It was somewhere around the middle 2006. The thing was hotly discussed and was perceived as misconfiguration by some and as a bug by others.

But this is not the point, I'm not asking about technical issues because Gentoo admin knows more than usual other-distro-admin and usually a problem is more tied to an apps (which is not Gentoo specific) than to Gentoo (which is only sources, Portage, baselayout and some more tools).

I'm rather in line with the thesis that there is no more strong invention or I cannot see it in daily use. Somebody can call this "lack of directions".

What about GNAP, Portage slowness (I'm on 1Gb/s internet link, and syncing with local mirror takes minutes not seconds), Paludis, similar to debconf features, more package variations, other "profiles" than desktop or server (perfect noob profile & paranoid profile), new emerging filesystems (Lustre?), drbd, beter openvz integration and tools, any ideas?

What about installer which is still unusable for newbies (cannot set network in Gnome, must do it in shell, even though after network is fine one cannot fetch a stage)?

What about Terminal Services which do not exists in Linux? unsafe XDMCP connections, slow ssh apps tunelling, not standard and not integrated vnc or nx (although the last I never managed to run)?

Maybe I'm out of date but there are not so many examples of innovation in here.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above umppty posts here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: