is there a FAST way...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xomic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: is there a FAST way... Reply with quote

... to install gentoo???

So, hi everyone.

First of all: I LOVE GENTOO!
I love the way emerge manages packages. I love the way how it is configured and I love the choice I have.

BUT, I just got a new PC and I don't want to clone my existing installation (another arch).
And when I think about the 3 or 4 days I need for compile xorg and kde (not to mention: all the more or less big stuff like gimp, openoffice, ...) I become sick!!!
Come on, spending a lot of time for configuration is really fine for me. Reading a lot of docu is ok for me, too -
but needing 4 or 5 days just to get a system with a graphical interface and a few programs is really annoying.
And the liveCD is not working at all.

So, I don't wanna complain. Not at all.

But is there a way to minimize the time for compiling/installing?

Greetings to all of you who have a nice little working gentoo (like me)!!!

xomic
psomas
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you should try using prebuilt packages...
or try using distcc(if you have more than one computers at home),to speed up compiling...
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: is there a FAST way... Reply with quote

xomic wrote:
... to install gentoo???

But is there a way to minimize the time for compiling/installing?

Well, you can use distcc as said above, of course, only if you have a working network and you can spare cpu cycles on the other machines on the net.

But, how different are those arches?

If the new old one is a compatible subarch maybe you can replicate it and then recompile with the new cflags in the background while it is working. I am sure you considered this, but just in case ;)
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

distcc would help. man nice helps some, too.

Give us some specs and we can give you an idea on what kind of time you may be looking at with the system.
xomic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

distcc is not possible i think (here is only one linux-machine :-( )

Some specs:

Old machine:
Board: ASUS P2P (i told you it's an old machine)
PII 450 Mhz
512 mb RAM
Radeon 7000
HD: SCSI RAID 1 (2x 35 GB)

"new" (or lets say newer..)
Board: Intel (server board)
2x PIII 1GHz (dual cpu - not core)
2 GB RAM
GeForce 4000 MX
HD: SATA RAID 1 (2x 160 GB)

Ok, the archs may not vary that much. but board and graphic scare me a little bit....
What do you think?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tar your whole installation and put it in your new machine.

A few things would need to be done, though. But I think that your current kernel might work, at least with the basic functionality needed to boot and configure your system. And even if it doesn't, you can use a livecd to do so.

Just tar your whole installation (use -p to preserve permissions). Then put it into cds or fetch it to your new machine via network. After that make sure you tweak fstab to match the filesystems in your new box.

Untar it in your new box, make sure you tweak fstab to your needs, check also grub.conf and install grub in your hd boot record.

You can surely continue using your setting as is, you will just need to configure your kernel for the chipset of your motherboard, and any additional/different hardware that it might have. Emerge nvidia-drivers and configure xorg.conf accordingly -the nvidia driver is painless to install and run- and if you want (not needed, though), change your cflags from the current to something like -match=pentium3 -pipe -O2, that should work fine enough. But the current ones will work as well.

PS.- You will need sata support configured into your kernel, not as a module, to be able to boot from that hard drive.

Last edited by i92guboj on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With those specs, it shouldn't take you much more then maybe a day or so to compile everything, if that long
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:

A few things would need to be done, though. But I think that your current kernel might work, at least with the basic functionality needed to boot and configure your system. And even if it doesn't, you can use a livecd to do so.

Just tar your whole installation (use -p to preserve permissions). Then put it into cds or fetch it to your new machine via network. After that make sure you tweak fstab to match the filesystems in your new box.

You can surely continue using your setting as is, you will just need to configure your kernel for the chipset of your motherboard, and any additional/different hardware that it might have. Emerge nvidia-drivers and configure xorg.conf accordingly -the nvidia driver is painless to install and run- and if you want (not needed, though), change your cflags from the current to something like -match=pentium3 -pipe -O2, that should work fine enough. But the current ones will work as well.

there is also cpio to look at. Look up upgrade and my name in the forums there should be a script somewhere someone posted replying to a comment I had on moving an install from on partition scheme to another.
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
6thpink wrote:
there is also cpio to look at. Look up upgrade and my name in the forums there should be a script somewhere someone posted replying to a comment I had on moving an install from on partition scheme to another.

Is this it?
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know that distcc is possible on windows machine with the help of colinux?
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timeBandit wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
6thpink wrote:

Is this it?

yup.
killfire
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an option (should tar'ing not work out for you) is to get a precompiled stage3 for your arch... I think evolution mission has them, and they are what I use now, because it means you have optimized base system without having to recompile. Of course, that leaves xorg and kde etc (though I might recommend something other than kde on that system...it is a bit old... perhaps xfce?), but those really dont take very long at all. And with binary firefox, you can get going pretty quickly.

Another way if you need to get productive right away is run the entire install inside knoppix, or some other livecd... that way you can be perfectly functional for however long it takes (but it will never take 4 or 5 days. I've dont an install on a 266mhz machine and it didnt take more than two, and that was my first gentoo and first linux installation ever)
xomic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soooo,

bringing my existing installation on my new machine using my original hd worked so far.
Today my sata-controller arrived and I'm ready to clone to my new 160 GB hd.
I'm curious if that will work as I hope.

If it runs well I'll tell you guys.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: