Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calandra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all!

I am installing a a new system with Gnome.

All goes fine, till i come to consolekit that stops with this error:

Code:

ibexec"\" -DDATADIR=\""/usr/share"\" -DSYSCONFDIR=\""/etc"\" -DCONSOLE_KIT_PID_FILE=\""/var/run/consolekit.pid"\" -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes  -DG_DISABLE_ASSERT -DG_DISABLE_CHECKS -DDBUS_VERSION_MAJOR=1 -DDBUS_VERSION_MINOR=0 -DDBUS_VERSION_MICRO=2     -O2 -march=i686 -pipe -MT ck-file-monitor-inotify.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/ck-file-monitor-inotify.Tpo" -c -o ck-file-monitor-inotify.o ck-file-monitor-inotify.c; \
        then mv -f ".deps/ck-file-monitor-inotify.Tpo" ".deps/ck-file-monitor-inotify.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/ck-file-monitor-inotify.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
ck-file-monitor-inotify.c: In function 'file_monitor_add_watch_for_path':
ck-file-monitor-inotify.c:207: error: 'IN_MASK_ADD' undeclared (first use in this function)
ck-file-monitor-inotify.c:207: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
ck-file-monitor-inotify.c:207: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[4]: *** [ck-file-monitor-inotify.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-auth/consolekit-0.2.1/work/ConsoleKit-0.2.1/src'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-auth/consolekit-0.2.1/work/ConsoleKit-0.2.1/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-auth/consolekit-0.2.1/work/ConsoleKit-0.2.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-auth/consolekit-0.2.1/work/ConsoleKit-0.2.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-auth/consolekit-0.2.1 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1632:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 983:   Called qa_call 'src_compile'
  ebuild.sh, line 44:   Called src_compile
  consolekit-0.2.1.ebuild, line 36:   Called die

Any idea?

Thanks

Luca
alexandervdm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I waited for Gnome 2.18 to become stable before installing my new system, and I just finished my install+X+gnome-light. Had to do the revdep-rebuild for the expat error but besides that I had a flawless install. Thanks to the devs for their work!
MetalWarrior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h0mer`- wrote:
I had the exact same errors as u do, MetalWarrior. Everything was broken and nothing wanted to emerge. But for me reemerging fontconfig and pango did it.

I think my problems are going to be resolved soon... I've run revdep-rebuild to rebuild everything that was linked against libexpat.so.0, and as I've told before, revdep-rebuild failed to emerge some packages.. so, I went on recompiling the packages selected by revdep-rebuild and skipping the ones that failed. After that, I've run emerge -uD world and now I'm compiling the 88th package (of 119) (now, kdelibs-3.5.7 emerged successfully, while before it complained about something related to pango or libexpat, I don't remember). So, it seems that before tomorrow my system will be working again... I hope ;-)
tony11235
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: epiphany fails Reply with quote

On all three of my machines, 2 x86's and 1 amd64, epiphany fails to emerge. Has anyone else had trouble with epiphany? I actually don't even want epiphany. USE="-epiphany" doesn't even prevent it from being installed.
rockfly12
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the middle of updating my system to 2.18 and epiphany failed for me as well. Somebody suggested the following which worked for me:

ln -s /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2 /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0

I am not sure if this is the right thing to do or not but epiphany emerged fine after that.
ticho
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockfly12 wrote:
In the middle of updating my system to 2.18 and epiphany failed for me as well. Somebody suggested the following which worked for me:

ln -s /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1.5.2 /usr/lib/libexpat.so.0

I am not sure if this is the right thing to do or not but epiphany emerged fine after that.

It is definitely not the right thing to do. That "fixes" binaries and libraries which link to old expat version - they think they link to the old one, but in fact it's new version, with somewhat incompatible API. This may result in random crashes along the way.

A better idea might be to remerge (--oneshot) fontconfig and pango (according to error output people pasted above) to correct their binaries and libs. Looks like revdep-rebuild sometimes doesn't get package order right, and these two are used by quite a few other packages, so if they're broken, emerge of any other package using them breaks as well.
rockfly12
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I guess I want to get everything fixed right then. At this point (after having everything compile successfully), would removing that sym link and doing another revdep-rebuild correct my system?
tony11235
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything compiled on the laptop after a revdep-rebuild and manual emerge of fontconfig and pango. No good for my slow athlon-xp desktop though. The amd64 desktop is still compiling. Oh well, 1 for 3 success so far.
pezplaya
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so to fix the epiphany problem...

emerge -1 fontconfig pango

also make sure you

emerge dbus and dbus-glib and dbus-phython

then emerge epiphany and everything works.
MetalWarrior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finished updating the whole system but subversion still doesn't work... ldd shows it is linked against both libexpat.so.0 and libexpat.so.1
I tried to re-emerge apr-util, since subversion uses libaprutil but ldd keeps showing libaprutil (even after several recompilations) as linked against libexpat.so.0..

EDIT: there were two version of apr-util on my system.. I've forgot to re-emerge the old version of apr-util (as told here. Now subversion works perfectly.
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still stuck.
The fixes mentioned above do not work. Most of my system is dead (all kde apps, gnome, firefox, gvim, gimp...) and I can use only windowmaker, opera and emacs now.

I have spent a huge amount of time re emerging packages since yesterday and cannot believe I am still losing time there.

This is my second system breakage due to updates this year, and I would appreciate this NOT happen again. Until last year everything always went fine, but today, I am definetely losing trust in Gentoo. Might be time to switch to another distro soon if it keeps going like that.
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavier10 wrote:
Still stuck.
The fixes mentioned above do not work. Most of my system is dead (all kde apps, gnome, firefox, gvim, gimp...) and I can use only windowmaker, opera and emacs now.

I have spent a huge amount of time re emerging packages since yesterday and cannot believe I am still losing time there.

This is my second system breakage due to updates this year, and I would appreciate this NOT happen again. Until last year everything always went fine, but today, I am definetely losing trust in Gentoo. Might be time to switch to another distro soon if it keeps going like that.

If you don't want the hassle of compiling and figuring out deps, then maybe Gentoo isn't for you.

The issue here is not Gentoo, but expat and the API breakage introduced by the 2.0.0 release and it's incompatibility with older 1.x releases. The Gentoo dev team have tried hard to 1) post up info about this breakage 2) warn people about this 3) they delayed unmasking this for a long time as well.

Rather than expend energy griping about system breakage, help out and try and make things better.

Now, if you can be a little specific about what you have done thus far and what problems/errors you are seeing, perhaps we can help.

A good place to start would be your emerge --info and output form revdep-rebuild. For revdep, rm -rf .revdep-rebuild* first.
Lasker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, didn't work for me. Finally I found that I need to update a Perl
module 'XML-Parser' (from version 2.34 to 2.34-r1). After that the command
'revdep-rebuild -X --library libexpat.so.0 worked but still no simple revdep-rebuild.
At least I'm now able to execute a world update which looks god so far: more than
20 of 41 ebuilds are finished, still running.
bushwakko
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santaclaws wrote:
Gnome 2.18 ? 8O

at rapsure

That sound really interesting.

test
ATI Mobility x1600 256mb
Lasker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roderick wrote:

The issue here is not Gentoo, but expat and the API breakage introduced by the 2.0.0 release and it's incompatibility with older 1.x releases. The Gentoo dev team have tried hard to 1) post up info about this breakage 2) warn people about this 3) they delayed unmasking this for a long time as well.

Where did they warn us about this? In another place I've read about some warning in an ebuild(!). C'mon, this is surely no trivial issue! I even could not log into X and if I wouldn't have an alternative to get my infos online (via XP), I would either have to use an ascii browser (with which I'm not comfortable) or just to give up.

Such issues, if they are known by the devs, need to be announced somewhere on a frontpage in thick fat letters. I would at least expect this in News & Announcements, in a sperated post of its own, not hidden somewhere between other announcements. Before I found my solution (see my last post in this thread) I was seriously thinking about kicking gentoo this time.
8O
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavier10 wrote:
Still stuck.

if you still can't get pango to compile, try emerging fontconfig, then emerge pango.

if you have xeffects in your PORTDIR_OVERLAY either remove it temporarily or update the overlay w/ layman -s xeffects.
Lasker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you didn't realise: updating fontconfig and pango obviously is not the solution for everyone.
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roderick wrote:

If you don't want the hassle of compiling and figuring out deps, then maybe Gentoo isn't for you.

For a little more background, I will mention that:
- I have been using Gentoo since jan 2004 (only on ppc until late 2005, which was known to be harder to handle than x86);
- I have done over 6 fresh installs (new machines or dead hard drives);
- I never had to spend much time reading forums before upgrading until now;
- until a few months ago, I had experienced NO system breakage due to unstable releases. That includes the switch to modular ebuilds for X, kde, gnome and the switch to udev for instance. I had only one breakage due to a stupid mistake of my own, which was fixed by revdep-rebuild.
Today, I am facing a situation where evey revdep-rebuild does not seem to fix. I am not sure this proves gentoo is not for me. Rather, it seems that some unmasking or portage decisions have been untimely recently, and I find this very regretable.

Quote:

I understand they delayed unmasking. For points 1) and 2), I am less convinced. Posting warings in forums is not warning people, since to the best of my knowledge there is no requirement/recommandation to read forums before any upgrade. Or would it mean that maintaining a gentoo system has now become a full time job ?
I would expect upgrades that may kill your system or require a massive amount of time fixing it be clearly advertised when doing

Quote:

Rather than expend energy griping about system breakage, help out and try and make things better.

Until yesterday, I was unaware of the problem.
Since yesterday, I have been trying to emerge mostly everything in every order.

Quote:
A good place to start would be your emerge --info and output form revdep-rebuild.

If you like so, I will post it here, but so far, I found this would not be so appropriate in a thread where many people are facing many kinds of problems with one same upgrade (not sure whether they are related so far):

Code:

$ emerge --info
Portage 2.1.2.11 (default-linux/x86/2006.1, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.5-r4, 2.6.17.13-mactel i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.17.13-mactel i686 Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2600 @ 2.16GHz
Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:30:01 +0000
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.33-r1
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4-r4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r6
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.17
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.16
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.23b
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.21
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
LINGUAS="fr en"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --filter=H_**/files/digest-*"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X aac acpi alsa apm berkdb bitmap-fonts cdparanoia cdr cli cracklib crypt cups daap dri dvd dvdr emacs encode exif firefox flac foomaticdb fortran gdbm gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 iconv imagemagick ipod ipv6 isdnlog jpeg jpeg2k kde latex lcms leim lm_sensors mad madwifi midi mp3 mudflap ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ocaml opengl openmp pam pcre pdf perl png ppds pppd python qt readline reflection sdl session spl ssl tcltk tcpd tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode usb vorbis x86 xine xinerama xorg xscreensaver zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="mouse synaptics keyboard" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="fr en" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx radeon vesa"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

Revdep-rebuild:
Code:

Configuring search environment for revdep-rebuild

Checking reverse dependencies...

Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by a package update
will be emerged.

Collecting system binaries and libraries... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files)

Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath)

Checking dynamic linking consistency...
  broken /usr/bin/blackbox (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/blackjack (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/boot-admin (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/bsetroot (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/bstyleconvert (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/easytag (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/filelight (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/fvwm (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/gaim (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/gataxx (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/gcalctool (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/gimv (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/glines (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/gnect (requires  libexpat.so.0)

.... one zillion binaries ....

broken /usr/libexec/gnome-dictionary-applet (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/libexec/gnome-netstatus-applet (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/libexec/hald-generate-fdi-cache (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/libexec/metacity-dialog (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/libexec/notification-area-applet (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/libexec/wnck-applet (requires  libexpat.so.0)
 done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)

Assigning files to ebuilds... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds)

Evaluating package order...
Warning: Failed to resolve package order.
Will merge in "random" order!
Possible reasons:
- An ebuild is no longer in the portage tree.
- An ebuild is masked, use /etc/portage/packages.keyword
  and/or /etc/portage/package.unmask to unmask it
^G.^G.^G.^G.^G. done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)

All prepared. Starting rebuild...
emerge --oneshot  =app-admin/gnome-system-tools-2.14.0 =app-arch/rpm-4.4.6-r3 =app-arch/file-roller-2.18.4 =app-arch/rpm2targz-9.0-r5 =dev-python/gnome-python-desktop-2.14.0 =dev-python/gnome-python-extras-2.14.0-r1 =dev-util/kdesvn-0.11.2 =sys-apps/hal-0.5.9-r1 =dev-libs/apr-util-0.9.12 =www-client/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.5 =app-portage/kuroo-0.80.2-r1 =x11-misc/wmakerconf-2.11 =x11-libs/pango-1.16.4 =x11-libs/wxGTK-2.6.2-r1 =x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13 =x11-libs/libgksu-2.0.0 =media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.4-r2 =x11-wm/metacity-2.14.5 =x11-wm/blackbox-0.70.0 =x11-wm/fvwm-2.5.18 =x11-terms/gnome-terminal-2.16.1 =app-doc/kchmviewer-2.5 =gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.6 =gnome-base/control-center-2.14.2 =gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.14.2 =gnome-base/gconf-2.18.0.1 =gnome-base/gnome-session-2.14.2 =gnome-base/nautilus-2.18.1-r1 =media-gfx/hugin-0.5 =media-gfx/gimageview-0.2.27-r2 =gnome-extra/yelp-2.14.2-r2 =gnome-extra/gucharmap-1.6.0 =gnome-extra/gnome-keyring-manager-2.14.0 =gnome-extra/gtkhtml-2.6.3 =gnome-extra/gnome-utils-2.14.0 =gnome-extra/gnome-games-2.14.2.1 =gnome-extra/nautilus-cd-burner-2.16.3 =gnome-extra/gcalctool-5.8.16 =x11-themes/activeheart-1.2.1 =x11-themes/alloy-0.5.2 =x11-themes/qinx-1.4 =x11-themes/crystal-1.0.0 =kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4 =kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.7-r2 =kde-base/khexedit-3.5.5 =kde-base/kmines-3.5.5 =kde-base/klaptopdaemon-3.5.5 =kde-base/kompare-3.5.5 =kde-base/libkdegames-3.5.5 =kde-base/kwifimanager-3.5.2 =kde-base/kweather-3.5.2 =kde-base/kworldwatch-3.5.5 =kde-base/kmix-3.5.2 =kde-misc/kdiff3-0.9.92 =kde-misc/filelight-1.0_rc2 =kde-misc/ksynaptics-0.3.3 =media-sound/sound-juicer-2.14.4 =media-sound/easytag-2.0 =media-sound/vorbis-tools-1.1.1-r3 =media-video/totem-1.4.2-r1 =net-analyzer/gnome-netstatus-2.12.0 =app-dicts/stardict-2.4.6-r1 =net-im/gaim-1.5.0 =dev-dotnet/libgdiplus-1.2.4 =net-irc/kvirc-3.2.5

As you can see order is screwed. When I fix that, I get more issues. After some system fixing time, I do not seem to get closer to a successfull revdep-rebuild.
Most often than not, packages do not emerge, whatever I try to reemerge first.

The output of .revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds:

Code:

app-admin/gnome-system-tools-2.14.0
app-arch/rpm-4.4.6-r3
app-arch/file-roller-2.18.4
app-arch/rpm2targz-9.0-r5
dev-python/gnome-python-desktop-2.14.0
dev-python/gnome-python-extras-2.14.0-r1
dev-util/kdesvn-0.11.2
sys-apps/hal-0.5.9-r1
dev-libs/apr-util-0.9.12
www-client/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.5
app-portage/kuroo-0.80.2-r1
x11-misc/wmakerconf-2.11
x11-libs/pango-1.16.4
x11-libs/wxGTK-2.6.2-r1
x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13
x11-libs/libgksu-2.0.0
media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.4-r2
x11-wm/metacity-2.14.5
x11-wm/blackbox-0.70.0
x11-wm/fvwm-2.5.18
x11-terms/gnome-terminal-2.16.1
app-doc/kchmviewer-2.5
gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.6
gnome-base/control-center-2.14.2
gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.14.2
gnome-base/gconf-2.18.0.1
gnome-base/gnome-session-2.14.2
gnome-base/nautilus-2.18.1-r1
media-gfx/hugin-0.5
media-gfx/gimageview-0.2.27-r2
gnome-extra/yelp-2.14.2-r2
gnome-extra/gucharmap-1.6.0
gnome-extra/gnome-keyring-manager-2.14.0
gnome-extra/gtkhtml-2.6.3
gnome-extra/gnome-utils-2.14.0
gnome-extra/gnome-games-2.14.2.1
gnome-extra/nautilus-cd-burner-2.16.3
gnome-extra/gcalctool-5.8.16
x11-themes/activeheart-1.2.1
x11-themes/alloy-0.5.2
x11-themes/qinx-1.4
x11-themes/crystal-1.0.0
kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4
kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.7-r2
kde-base/khexedit-3.5.5
kde-base/kmines-3.5.5
kde-base/klaptopdaemon-3.5.5
kde-base/kompare-3.5.5
kde-base/libkdegames-3.5.5
kde-base/kwifimanager-3.5.2
kde-base/kweather-3.5.2
kde-base/kworldwatch-3.5.5
kde-base/kmix-3.5.2
kde-misc/kdiff3-0.9.92
kde-misc/filelight-1.0_rc2
kde-misc/ksynaptics-0.3.3
media-sound/sound-juicer-2.14.4
media-sound/easytag-2.0
media-sound/vorbis-tools-1.1.1-r3
media-video/totem-1.4.2-r1
net-analyzer/gnome-netstatus-2.12.0
app-dicts/stardict-2.4.6-r1
net-im/gaim-1.5.0
dev-dotnet/libgdiplus-1.2.4
net-irc/kvirc-3.2.5

Last edited by xavier10 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jonnevers"]
xavier10 wrote:

if you still can't get pango to compile, try emerging fontconfig, then emerge pango.

Thanks, but unfortunately, it does not work for me, even though I tried many times, and after recompiling other packages as well. I am currently still trying to recompile packages read from revdep-rebuild one by one until I can make progress, and pango will still not work.
Lehmi70
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavier10 wrote:

Revdep-rebuild:
Code:

Configuring search environment for revdep-rebuild

Checking reverse dependencies...

Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by a package update
will be emerged.

Collecting system binaries and libraries... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files)

Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath)

Checking dynamic linking consistency...
  broken /usr/bin/blackbox (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/blackjack (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/boot-admin (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/bsetroot (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/bstyleconvert (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/easytag (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/filelight (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/fvwm (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/gaim (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/gataxx (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/gcalctool (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/gimv (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/glines (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/bin/gnect (requires  libexpat.so.0)

.... one zillion binaries ....

broken /usr/libexec/gnome-dictionary-applet (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/libexec/gnome-netstatus-applet (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/libexec/hald-generate-fdi-cache (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/libexec/metacity-dialog (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/libexec/notification-area-applet (requires  libexpat.so.0)
  broken /usr/libexec/wnck-applet (requires  libexpat.so.0)
 done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)

Assigning files to ebuilds... done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds)

Evaluating package order...
Warning: Failed to resolve package order.
Will merge in "random" order!
Possible reasons:
- An ebuild is no longer in the portage tree.
- An ebuild is masked, use /etc/portage/packages.keyword
  and/or /etc/portage/package.unmask to unmask it
^G.^G.^G.^G.^G. done.
  (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)

All prepared. Starting rebuild...
emerge --oneshot  =app-admin/gnome-system-tools-2.14.0 =app-arch/rpm-4.4.6-r3 =app-arch/file-roller-2.18.4 =app-arch/rpm2targz-9.0-r5 =dev-python/gnome-python-desktop-2.14.0 =dev-python/gnome-python-extras-2.14.0-r1 =dev-util/kdesvn-0.11.2 =sys-apps/hal-0.5.9-r1 =dev-libs/apr-util-0.9.12 =www-client/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.5 =app-portage/kuroo-0.80.2-r1 =x11-misc/wmakerconf-2.11 =x11-libs/pango-1.16.4 =x11-libs/wxGTK-2.6.2-r1 =x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.13 =x11-libs/libgksu-2.0.0 =media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.4-r2 =x11-wm/metacity-2.14.5 =x11-wm/blackbox-0.70.0 =x11-wm/fvwm-2.5.18 =x11-terms/gnome-terminal-2.16.1 =app-doc/kchmviewer-2.5 =gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.6 =gnome-base/control-center-2.14.2 =gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.14.2 =gnome-base/gconf-2.18.0.1 =gnome-base/gnome-session-2.14.2 =gnome-base/nautilus-2.18.1-r1 =media-gfx/hugin-0.5 =media-gfx/gimageview-0.2.27-r2 =gnome-extra/yelp-2.14.2-r2 =gnome-extra/gucharmap-1.6.0 =gnome-extra/gnome-keyring-manager-2.14.0 =gnome-extra/gtkhtml-2.6.3 =gnome-extra/gnome-utils-2.14.0 =gnome-extra/gnome-games-2.14.2.1 =gnome-extra/nautilus-cd-burner-2.16.3 =gnome-extra/gcalctool-5.8.16 =x11-themes/activeheart-1.2.1 =x11-themes/alloy-0.5.2 =x11-themes/qinx-1.4 =x11-themes/crystal-1.0.0 =kde-base/kdebase-3.5.5-r4 =kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.7-r2 =kde-base/khexedit-3.5.5 =kde-base/kmines-3.5.5 =kde-base/klaptopdaemon-3.5.5 =kde-base/kompare-3.5.5 =kde-base/libkdegames-3.5.5 =kde-base/kwifimanager-3.5.2 =kde-base/kweather-3.5.2 =kde-base/kworldwatch-3.5.5 =kde-base/kmix-3.5.2 =kde-misc/kdiff3-0.9.92 =kde-misc/filelight-1.0_rc2 =kde-misc/ksynaptics-0.3.3 =media-sound/sound-juicer-2.14.4 =media-sound/easytag-2.0 =media-sound/vorbis-tools-1.1.1-r3 =media-video/totem-1.4.2-r1 =net-analyzer/gnome-netstatus-2.12.0 =app-dicts/stardict-2.4.6-r1 =net-im/gaim-1.5.0 =dev-dotnet/libgdiplus-1.2.4 =net-irc/kvirc-3.2.5

As you can see order is screwed. When I fix that, I get more issues. After some system fixing time, I do not seem to get closer to a successfull revdep-rebuild.
Most often than not, packages do not emerge, whatever I try to reemerge first.

You didn't mentioned the exact revdep-rebuild call. Did you try to use the "-X" option? I'd the same error without this option. In the end after using "-X" everything works fine.

Lehmi
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lehmi70"]
xavier10 wrote:

You didn't mentioned the exact revdep-rebuild call. Did you try to use the "-X" option? I'd the same error without this option. In the end after using "-X" everything works fine.

Lehmi

Thanks, you are right, I forgot to mention the exact option. That was revdep-rebuild -p.
I have tried -X as well and have to say I am not sure to understand the result very well: -X outputs more recent packages (I was expecting that) but fewer of them (I was not expecting the number of packages to re emerge to change). Since no -X returns more packages, I showed the result without -X. When I re emerge something, I tend to add -u in order to get the best version now (since my system is broken, I will not lose anything in stability now).
In the last few hours, I have been getting more and more gnome components fixed (compiled and working) but still no pango, no kde, no firefox... Some packages still do not work, even after I recompile them (no surprise here: I re emerge in random order and try to re emerge as much as I can, and do revdep-rebuild again and again to see if I make progress...
maxheadroom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavier10 wrote:
Lehmi70 wrote:

Lehmi

Thanks, you are right, I forgot to mention the exact option. That was revdep-rebuild -p.
I have tried -X as well and have to say I am not sure to understand the result very well: -X outputs more recent packages (I was expecting that) but fewer of them (I was not expecting the number of packages to re emerge to change). Since no -X returns more packages, I showed the result without -X. When I re emerge something, I tend to add -u in order to get the best version now (since my system is broken, I will not lose anything in stability now).
In the last few hours, I have been getting more and more gnome components fixed (compiled and working) but still no pango, no kde, no firefox... Some packages still do not work, even after I recompile them (no surprise here: I re emerge in random order and try to re emerge as much as I can, and do revdep-rebuild again and again to see if I make progress...

Okay, going from the packages provided above:

Try this order:
Code:
emerge -av1 hal =dev-libs/apr-util-0.9.12 pango gtk wxGTK

If they all complete succesfully, then great, otherwise come back and let us know which one failed and what the failure was.
Then try
Code:
emerge -avUDN gnome
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxheadroom wrote:

Okay, going from the packages provided above:

Try this order:
Code:
emerge -av1 hal =dev-libs/apr-util-0.9.12 pango gtk wxGTK

If they all complete succesfully, then great, otherwise come back and let us know which one failed and what the failure was.
Then try
Code:
emerge -avUDN gnome

Thanks for your detailed suggestion.
Pango failed, due to expat as usual:

Code:

Writing a pango.modules file to use with tests/examples.
/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.16.4/work/pango-1.16.4/pango/.libs/lt-pango-querymodules: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [pango.modules] Error 127
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.16.4/work/pango-1.16.4/modules'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.16.4/work/pango-1.16.4/modules'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.16.4/work/pango-1.16.4'

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/pango-1.16.4 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1322:   Called gnome2_src_compile
  gnome2.eclass, line 71:   Called die
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasker wrote:
roderick wrote:

Where did they warn us about this? In another place I've read about some warning in an ebuild(!). C'mon, this is surely no trivial issue! I even could not log into X and if I wouldn't have an alternative to get my infos online (via XP), I would either have to use an ascii browser (with which I'm not comfortable) or just to give up.

Such issues, if they are known by the devs, need to be announced somewhere on a frontpage in thick fat letters. I would at least expect this in News & Announcements, in a sperated post of its own, not hidden somewhere between other announcements. Before I found my solution (see my last post in this thread) I was seriously thinking about kicking gentoo this time.
8O

There are many threads going back to 2006 about this. Even the Sticky about Gnome and KDE stabilization talk about this and cross reference each other. The bug reports listed in those stickies also talk about expat and other issues. Reading the bugs helped me as well as reading the forums.

I'm sure it would be nice to post up every "THIS MIGHT BREAK FOR YOU" on the main page/forums, however, in cases like this, some people (like me) had ZERO issues. Some people like you, had many... everyone is different.

This is Gentoo - it's a source based distro and like it or not, you need to get your hands dirty every now and then. That means, if someone breaks an ABI somewhere, everyone will feel the pain. For prepackaged distro's, this same issue exists, but the end user does not see it - just the packager. Under Gentoo, each user is almost like a packager, so we all see it.

Anyway, performing an equery depends expat and re-emerging those packages will certainly help, in addition to every other suggestion.

If expat could have been slotted or the author was able to provide backwards compatibility, none of this would have been an issue. The fact is, neither option existed, so the user was forced to rebuild all deps of expat to get the new API.

God knows, portage is not perfect, and neither is revdep-rebuild. Feel free to contribute any ideas or fixes to help make those tools better for the future perhaps :)
maxheadroom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xavier10 wrote:

Thanks for your detailed suggestion.
Pango failed, due to expat as usual:

Code:

Writing a pango.modules file to use with tests/examples.
/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.16.4/work/pango-1.16.4/pango/.libs/lt-pango-querymodules: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [pango.modules] Error 127
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.16.4/work/pango-1.16.4/modules'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.16.4/work/pango-1.16.4/modules'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/pango-1.16.4/work/pango-1.16.4'

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/pango-1.16.4 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1322:   Called gnome2_src_compile
  gnome2.eclass, line 71:   Called die

Can you show me the output of emerge -pv pango?

EDIT: also, can you check that the new version of expat is installed, and the old version is definitely gone?

Also, paste up the output of this:
Code:
find /var/db/pkg -name NEEDED -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep -l 'expat\.so\.0' | cut -f5,6 -d/

EDIT2: It looks like expat isnt a dependency of pango directly. fontconfig is the only package I can see in the dependencies for pango which has expat as a dependency. have you tried
Code:
emerge -1av fontconfig pango
?

Last edited by maxheadroom on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: