Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c0d3g33k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:

I'd be happy if there was just an indicator based on prior successful builds (as opposed to every time emerge had been run for the package)

Kuroo (www.kuroo.org) does this. It reads the emerge log and uses the data there to generate estimates for how long an emerge will take for a package. In Kuroo's install queue, you can see the estimated time for each individual package, the total expected time, time elapsed and estimated time remaining. It also shows the progress of each package as the emerge proceeds. Quite nice, IMHO. Won't work for things you haven't emerged before, obviously, but it's pretty accurate when doing regular updates.

Agreed that this isn't the job of the package manager. If folks don't want to do this in an X GUI, maybe the right place to put this is in something that wraps portage and provides a higher level view of the update and package management process, like aptitude does for apt-get on Debian-based systems. Portitude, if you will. :-)
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the progress bar is very welcome. but if the progress is based on previous emerge time it is not going to help at all.
genlop -c gives false report and hopes.
some mechanism has to be deviced to calculate the time required to emerge a package depending on cpu speed mem capacity and other running applications at the time of emerging a package.
it should be possible to calibrate the progress bar for each and every installation in real time.
i wish if it can be done.

apart from that i request a pause an emerge of an individual package and resume it after after a shutdown and restart.
not the chain of the emerge . it is already doing it. i like to pause the emerge of kdelibs in the middle of 2 hours it takes in my laptop and be able to save the i hour work it has done and resume from where it left.

as a power failure is common here around my place like a download manager i want the emerge to continue on restart.

well then there is no end to wishful thinking :D :D
Mantaar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
the progress bar is very welcome. but if the progress is based on previous emerge time it is not going to help at all.
genlop -c gives false report and hopes.
some mechanism has to be deviced to calculate the time required to emerge a package depending on cpu speed mem capacity and other running applications at the time of emerging a package.
it should be possible to calibrate the progress bar for each and every installation in real time.
i wish if it can be done.

You're asking for quite a lot, especially with big packages. To accomplish that you'd have to read every single source file... That would really slow down your merge time. The only way of doing that would be to include such information in the ebuild. And that'll still hardly be able to take other factors into account, like niceing of portage/emerge, other mem-eating apps (stinky 'ol firefox), and the general load on your machine (& download times on your connection, which can be quite high for media-intensive stuff).
padoor wrote:

apart from that i request a pause an emerge of an individual package and resume it after after a shutdown and restart.
not the chain of the emerge . it is already doing it. i like to pause the emerge of kdelibs in the middle of 2 hours it takes in my laptop and be able to save the i hour work it has done and resume from where it left.

Have you ever looked into ccache? Not exactly what you're looking for, but quite.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:

as a power failure is common here around my place like a download manager i want the emerge to continue on restart.

well then there is no end to wishful thinking :D :D

I do that all the time with update -- a new one will be out in the next couple of days (we're just debugging it on a chroot now) that deals with ABI upgrades like expat. You have to restart it yourself however ;)
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did not understand what you two mean to say. steveL Mantaar

the cache is cleaned on every restart. yes i am aware i am asking for big changes in emerge command / additional options with a progress bar

what is with update ? i followed the link

i need some step by step instructions to use it /install .it looks very interesting can you give some light on this steveL?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
what is with update ? i followed the link

i need some step by step instructions to use it /install .it looks very interesting can you give some light on this steveL?

It's just a wrapper for emerge, which makes long updates easier to handle. Most of the options are the same as emerge; the only major difference is if you want to install something to world you need to use -i. It keeps going when things don't compile (so you can leave it on all night and it'll compile as much as possible) retrying failed packages at the end. It stops when none of the remaining packages will install (or when it's finished of course.) It also makes the output a lot easier to handle, and wraps revdep-rebuild. Install it by copying it to /sbin/update (that's what the wget command does), chmod u+x /sbin/update and try update -h.

If things fall over it's easy to resume with update -r and you can also signal it to stop after the next package with update --stop (or it gives you that option if you start another copy when it's already running.) That's handy if you want to change something but you want to finish the current package first.

Still debugging new version (there's a lot of new code in it.)
HTH.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much steveL
thats a nice instruction. i will try it and come back.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

localhost ~ # update -Duav world
** Welcome to 'update' from #friendly-coders@irc.freenode.org
We're still here for you⢠;)
We need to make /root/emerge as it does not exist
Make directory for emerge list and status files (Y/n)?
[Tip] You can set PORTDIR_OVERLAY to have a local overlay, usually /usr/local/portage, for any modifications you need to make to specific ebuild versions. Portage will use the ones in the overlay, or later versions from the tree
[Tip] You can speed up portage sync -- please read https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-529919.html#3891968
! Tip! It is dangerous to run unstable across the board; use /etc/portage/package.keywords for individual packages instead. autounmask can help
[Tip] It is dangerous to run unstable across the board; use /etc/portage/package.keywords for individual packages instead. autounmask can help
** Resolving..

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating world dependencies ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ........ done!
[ebuild U ] media-libs/win32codecs-20071007 [20061022-r1] USE="-quicktime -real" 13,540 kB
[ebuild U ] sys-devel/gcc-config-1.4.0-r3 [1.4.0-r2] 0 kB
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[ebuild U ] media-video/vlc-0.9.0_alpha20071009 [0.8.6c] USE="X a52 alsa arts bidi cdda cdio%* dbus%* dts dvd ffmpeg%* flac gnome%* gnutls hal httpd live matroska mp3 mpeg ncurses ogg opengl stream svga theora vcd vlm vorbis win32codecs wxwindows xv -3dfx -aalib (-altivec) -avahi -cddb -daap -dc1394 -debug -directfb -dvb -esd -fbcon -ggi -id3tag% -jack -libcaca -libgcrypt% -libnotify -lirc -lua% -mod -musepack -musicbrainz% -nsplugin -optimisememory -oss -png -pvr% -rtsp -samba -sdl -sdl-image -seamonkey -shout -skins -speex -svg -taglib% -truetype -twolame% -upnp -v4l -v4l2% -vcdx% -x264 -xinerama -xml -xosd -xulrunner% (-corba%)" 12,361 kB
[blocks B ] media-libs/libdts (is blocking media-libs/libdca-0.0.5)

Total: 29 packages (26 upgrades, 1 downgrade, 1 new, 1 in new slot, 1 block), Size of downloads: 152,259 kB

!!! Ebuilds for the following packages are either all
!!! masked or don't exist:
x11-misc/xnview

** You can turn off tips with novice=0 in the config file.
** update: Please review the errors : try emerge -Dupv world for more info
or search site:forums.gentoo.org
You can troubleshoot with -vv
i unmerged libdts for removing the block. then

localhost ~ # update -Duav world
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Total: 29 packages (26 upgrades, 1 downgrade, 1 new, 1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 152,259 kB

!!! Ebuilds for the following packages are either all
!!! masked or don't exist:
x11-misc/xnview

** You can turn off tips with novice=0 in the config file.
** update: Please review the errors : try emerge -Dupv world for more info
or search site:forums.gentoo.org
You can troubleshoot with -vv

it does not want to continue update with the xnview not in portage??

i dont see any other error.

emerge -Duav world is happy with the not available xnview and skip it for further emerge.

update is asking me to mask / make overlay etc... for xnview ??
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. It's written so that if portage sends any error message it won't continue: apparently x11-misc/xnview is in your world file, according to folk on IRC. (I don't want to make update ignore errors.) The best thing, if the ebuild is no longer in portage (and you want to keep the package installed) is to copy it from the backup ebuild in /var/db/pkg/x11-misc/xnview-<version> (or get it from sources.gentoo.org) to your local overlay (if you haven't got one, set PORTDIR_OVERLAY='/usr/local/portage' in make.conf and make the category and app directory under that, exactly the same as under /usr/portage.) You'll need to run ebuild /usr/local/portage/x11-misc/xnview/xnview-<ver>.ebuild digest as well. That way even though it's not being updated (and doesn't exist) in the portage tree, portage will still know about it, and not spit out the error.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no xnview new version in xnview site.
how can i ask update to skip it and continue emerging?
the xnview version installed is working ok.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry padoor, but you'll have to put it in your local overlay so that portage doesn't spit any errors out. If you are online, login to irc.freenode.org, we're in channel #friendly-coders (i'm igli), and I can help you with this.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not a member of irc.freenode.org
i am not able to invoke it . just get its working message.
i have no idea how to irc. i am online most times.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can try: wget -O /sbin/update http://dev.gentooexperimental.org/~igli/src/update/update-20071017
md5sum: 13a0edd1b55de898ea6058a5c7b40db8
That's the latest testing version which QA (hah) liked.
It should be OK with the error since it no longer checks the error output, but just the command exit status. We made this change as we're testing it with binhosts and portage 2.1 outputs a lot of data to stderr with -G. (It checks all the packages in the repo; Portage 2.2 will have support for Packages.) Anyhow, it should fix your bug as well.
HTH.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i will upgrade the update and see what happens.
emerge works still without any problem.
if i remove xnview i cannot get it back. thats why the hesitation.
:)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

er you'll need this: wget -O /etc/warning http://dev.gentooexperimental.org/~igli/src/update/warning-20071010 (it's for ABI updates) as iirc it complains if it can't find the file. You need to replace games-misc/ with www-apache/ if you're upgrading to apache 2.2 (sorry my ssh is down atm so I can't scp the file over-- that line is from when we were testing the process) or just touch /etc/warning instead of downloading it.

The process I outlined for using a local overlay will stop portage complaining about the missing ebuild, btw ;)
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unlike emerge this update compilrd silent without showing what it currently does.
does this make the compile any faster?

ocalhost linux-2.6.23-gentoo # update alsa-tools
[Tip] You can set PORTDIR_OVERLAY to have a local overlay, usually /usr/local/portage, for any modifications you need to make to specific ebuild versions. Portage will use the ones in the overlay, or later versions from the tree
! Tip! It is dangerous to run unstable across the board; use /etc/portage/package.keywords for individual packages instead. autounmask can help
[Tip] It is dangerous to run unstable across the board; use /etc/portage/package.keywords for individual packages instead. autounmask can help
** Resolving..

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies ..... ..... ..... ... done!
[ebuild U ] media-sound/alsa-tools-1.0.15 [1.0.14] USE="gtk midi -fltk" ALSA_CARDS="emu10k1 emu10k1x -darla20 -darla24 -gina20 -gina24 -hdsp -hdspm -ice1712 -indigo -indigoio -layla20 -layla24 -mia -mixart -mona -pcxhr -rme32 -rme96 -sb16 -sbawe -sscape -usb-usx2y -vx222 (-echo3g%)" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 kB
** Upgrading alsa-tools from 1.0.14 to 1.0.15
* Checking alsa-tools-1.0.15.tar.bz2
* Patching:.done
* Elibtoolize: ld10k1
* Patching:...done
** Compiling Source ...
** Uninstalling media-sound/alsa-tools-1.0.14
!! IMPORTANT: 2 etc-updates
** media-sound/alsa-tools-1.0.15 installed successfully.
** All packages compiled successfully
** Running /usr/sbin/dispatch-conf
--- /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders 2007-10-20 15:35:55.000000000 +0530
+++ /etc/gtk-2.0/._cfg0000_gdk-pixbuf.loaders 2007-10-20 15:33:38.000000000 +0530
@@ -14,10 +14,7 @@
"wbmp" 4 "gtk20" "The WBMP image format"
"image/vnd.wap.wbmp" ""
"wbmp" ""
-" " "zz" 1
-" `" "z " 1
-" @" "z " 1
-" " "z " 1
+" " "z" 1

"/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loaders/svg_loader.so"
"svg" 2 "gtk20" "Scalable Vector Graphics"

>> (1 of 2) -- /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
>> q quit, h help, n next, e edit-new, z zap-new, u use-new
m merge, t toggle-merge, l look-merge:

what input it expects here? next?

edit:

i see it is trying to do the etc-update

it will take some experience to do this part of the update. :)
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please take support for hte update script to a more appropriate thread.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er yeah, good point. The config file (/etc/update) does mention:
# Bug reports: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-546828.html
..but I guess I should put that in --help as well.
padoor wrote:
unlike emerge this update compilrd silent without showing what it currently does.
does this make the compile any faster?

Not really since the same text is all still written to the logfile; it just makes it easier to spot useful stuff.
padoor wrote:
i am not a member of irc.freenode.org
i am not able to invoke it . just get its working message.
i have no idea how to irc. i am online most times.

Have a look at: http://pebuilds.peschke.us/?c=net-irc for some apps that you might use. I use Konversation, which is excellent if you are in KDE.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks steveL

as pointed out by AllenJB it is not connected with emerge feature request anymore

we will discuss further on update in your original post thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-546828.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: