Update World or Reinstall?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merrak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Update World or Reinstall? Reply with quote

Perhaps someone can give me a little advice here:
I'm still using Kernel 2.6.19. The last time I updated the world was about the time coldplug was replaced. Perhaps I've been a bad Gentoo user. At this point would it be easier to update everything, or just do a fresh re-install?
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Update World or Reinstall? Reply with quote

merrak wrote:
Perhaps someone can give me a little advice here:
I'm still using Kernel 2.6.19. The last time I updated the world was about the time coldplug was replaced. Perhaps I've been a bad Gentoo user. At this point would it be easier to update everything, or just do a fresh re-install?

hallo,

IMHO fresh install would be better and faster :roll:

CooSee ' Ya
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do an emerge -vauD world, look through what is being updated, make sure there isn't anything too crazy like a major glibc and gcc. There probably is, so I would update those first, then re-emerge world from there,

It is great knowledge to be learned by doing this.

Worse case, you fail miserably and have to re-install :)
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

find your xorg version. if it is still 7.1 or earlier it is better to do reinstall.
it is too time consuming and failure prone to update very old system files.
merrak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
find your xorg version. if it is still 7.1 or earlier it is better to do reinstall.
it is too time consuming and failure prone to update very old system files.

Insanity5902 wrote:
I would do an emerge -vauD world, look through what is being updated, make sure there isn't anything too crazy like a major glibc and gcc. There probably is, so I would update those first, then re-emerge world from there,

It is great knowledge to be learned by doing this.

Worse case, you fail miserably and have to re-install :)

I think my poor computer just failed on all accounts.

xorg version is 7.1

both glibc and gcc are terribly out of date

And to summarize

Code:
Total: 457 packages (422 upgrades, 2 downgrades, 26 new, 7 in new slots, 2 blocks), Size of downloads: 1,165,750 kB

padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may get into lot of troubles trying to run upgrade.
i think it will be easier to reinstall with 2007.0 profile.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great things about Gentoo is that if you have a spare drive or partition then you can re-install from within your current system so you've got the power and flexibility of X-windows and all of the tools you are accustomed to using and very little downtime. Your current system also functions as a backup when you are bringing the new system to life. And finally, this makes it much easier to transfer data from the old system to the new.
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while yes, you might run into problems, and by probably I am pretty much positive you will.

If this isn't a main desktop, then take the time and do an upgrade. It can teach you a lot about not only the inwards of gentoo, but just system and linux administration.

I would still say do the upgrade.

emerge the latest portage first, it has a lot of advantages with displaying messages. Then follow the gcc upgrade guide, hopefully you are not changing your chost, so it should be pretty easy.

There are a few blockers out there, but some quick searches on the forums will show you the answer. Then there will be expat, if it hasn't been upgraded yet, do it now and run an a revdep-rebuild against it's libs as the ebuild suggest.

It shouldn't be that bad. I did an upgrade form glibc-2.4 and gcc-3.4 with a similiar number of packages as you about 2 months ago, and it wasn't a problem, just go in with your head straight and you'll be fine. it is good experience and you'll learn a lot.

Every sysadmin's answer now-a-days is to reboot or re-install, no one takes the time to learn the system to be able to save them from problems ...
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd reinstall, likely to take less to time to get fully up to date and running again. If you want to spend the time trying to upgrade though go for it :P.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the given status it is not clear if modular xorg has been installed or not.
that is the second hurdle expat being the first. at any stage he can be locked out of the system
well as Insanity5902 says it is an oppotunity to learn the gentoo upgrade problems ,solutions.
if you have space in your hdd make new partition and start new install. you can have your cake and eat it too.
you can chroot into old system and finish new install and chroot into new install and upgrade old one. may be two different profiles like 2007.0 and 2007.0/desktop like i have in my p4 desktop. i have a laptop install also.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merrak wrote:
Code:
Total: 457 packages (422 upgrades, 2 downgrades, 26 new, 7 in new slots, 2 blocks), Size of downloads: 1,165,750 kB

just a heads-up. somewhere in there i bet is the expat-1 to expat-2 update that breaks a lot of packages that are linked to expat-1 libraries.

personally, I say try updating world before reinstalling. it's just more fun. :D but i seriously suggest masked >=expat-2, then update gcc/glibc, then the rest of your system. after that is done unmask expat-2, and start rebuilding all the broken packages :)

should keep you busy for a couple of hair pulling dayz.
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
merrak wrote:
Code:

just a heads-up. somewhere in there i bet is the expat-1 to expat-2 update that breaks a lot of packages that are linked to expat-1 libraries.

personally, I say try updating world before reinstalling. it's just more fun. :D but i seriously suggest masked >=expat-2, then update gcc/glibc, then the rest of your system. after that is done unmask expat-2, and start rebuilding all the broken packages :)

should keep you busy for a couple of hair pulling dayz.

Excellent suggestion.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow 1.2Gb download and emerge time of the files. he can give the command emerge -Du world after suggested masks and leave it on for few days. and forget it. :)
if this was for me my net speed will take days to download the files.and a week time to emerge them.
it is good idea if he has another computer while this is grounded for maintenance for good week 10 days.
:) :o
broken_chaos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set PORTAGE_NICENESS to something good. Use FEATURES="parallel-fetch". As suggested above, mask expat >=2 until after you've done the major stuff. First, upgrade gcc. revdep-rebuild afterwards, then binutils, then glibc (with another revdep-rebuild). Then do expat (with revdep-rebuild *immediately* afterwards), and the continue with the rest of the system (in some sort of order, if you feel like it - i.e. deal with blocking pacakges first, perhaps).

Once you're done all the updates, might be a good idea to run a final emerge -e world for consistency after such a large update.

Shouldn't be *too* bad, should it? ;)
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally do the following
emerge -ae system (to make a stable, up-to-date base)

Then, I would
emerge -auvDN --with-bdeps y world (to update everything else that's outdated)

If something fails, run
emerge --skipfirst --resume (It will probably build after everything else is updated)

And finanlly
revdep-rebuild (to fix any broken dependencies)

Obviously, don't forget to run etc-update (or similar) between steps when necessary.

I updated really my outdated system twice when it was outdated by 6-8 months, and it was fine. I think I spent far less time than on fresh installs.
merrak
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like, as always, the trick is just knowing to do. Of course, one doesn't ever learn what to do without going through the processes a couple of times. It does seem a bit silly to just wipe everything and start over when I chose Gentoo, in part, because it posed a alternatives to avoid such hassles. Time is a bit tighter than when I first installed Gentoo and had time to play with the installation process until I got it right, so it's really a question of which is less involved. Compiles can always be done overnight... but until I perfect the art of sleepwalking then browsing the forums and figuring out what went wrong can't be done overnight.

I suppose if I try to update some of the very old packages and everything goes haywire, I'm no worse off than if I had wiped the system and started over.
jza
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once updated a system (laptop) that hadn't been updated in 1.5 - 2 years. That was painful but I learned a lot and am glad I did it.
Also, I typically only do world updates every 6 months or so. I'll usually have minor problems, no big issues.
Also, personally, I hate having to do things(like setting config files, etc. ) multiple times, I'd rather break stuff and learn to fix it.
Just some thoughts, I think my suggestion is obvious :)
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically agree with what AM088 posted above. I use this procedure when updating a system that has not been updated in a long time.

First, emerge --sync, and check to see if you need to update your profile, and do so if needed, and do any /etc/make.conf editing needed (usually nothing, except maybe USE flag adjustments).

Then update to a current kernel, and reboot to it.

Then run:
Code:
quickpkg gcc glibc binutils python libtool libstdc++-v3 portage
to make binary packages of critical system packages so you can easily recover if something goes wrong. Only takes a few minutes.

Then, update only the tool-chain packages,
Code:
emerge glibc binutils gcc libstdc++-v3 libtool portage
and after that's done use gcc-config and binutils-config to change to the new versions.

Then rebuild only the new toolchain again with itself.
Code:
emerge glibc binutils gcc libstdc++-v3 libtool portage
Then run a complete:
Code:
emerge -e system
and then do a:
Code:
revdep-rebuild -p
and resolve any problems. Then do your final
Code:
emerge -e world

Run revdep-rebuild -p again to check consistency, and resolve any problems.

Of course run etc-update before rebooting.
I don't think I left anything out of this rundown.

You should have no problems using this procedure, other than those that would happen due to causes other than just updating an old system.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: